TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Dec-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
couchsachraga

A challenge...

I'm posting this for my parents, as they've given up at this point.

Here is their site data (using actual coordinates):
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae1554370520

No cable in the area, mountains negate the possibility of a Dish, and the first 3 (analog) channels listed haven't functioned for 15+ years (tower hit by lighting, was town owned, no $ for replacement... and those in town had cable). Growing up in that house we received 4 channels - the 3 listed already, and WCAX out of Burlington. They were in touch with an engineer at WCAX when they went digital who said they had no hope of receiving anything at all.

Shockingly they do get WVER . I do not recall their exact antenna, but it is a Channel Master Quantum well over 10' long up on the roof with an amp and 32 year old rotor (not the first house we lived in). They tried replacing it with on of the newer UHF style antennas (non boom) wish turned out to be useless (likely as they were after a VHF signal...)

Looking at the topographic profiles I'm shocked they get anything at all.

If anyone has any ideas on if it is possible to receive a few more channels (and what antenna combination to do so) please let me know and I'll pass it along to them.

I've ordered my equipment from my other post (my house) and will post results to that thread when the equipment (and my tv!) arrive.

Last edited by couchsachraga; 30-Dec-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: added antenna info
couchsachraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Dec-2013, 2:20 AM   #2
StephanieS

A challenge it is!

What is your parents goal? Even with the most aggressive set up, they are looking at a few channels tops.

*IF* I were to try I'd purchase a Winegard HD7698P antenna (hi-vhf, uhf) and a Channel master 7777 preamp. The channel master preamp rates at an aggressive 30db gain.

The antenna would be mounted above the roof with a clear line of sight pointed at magnetic 140. I would see if I could find a sweetspot for PBS, NBC and CBS. I would count myself lucky to receive these three signals.

With signals this weak, you can only "guesstimate" what will happen due to factors beyond the TVfool report. That said, by this map, chances aren't great. Barring a surprise, the above 3 signals are your best outcome.

Let us know what you try!
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Dec-2013, 4:14 PM   #3
couchsachraga

More info...

I touched base with them again today as I thought the Quantum was the old model...

They have a ChannelMaster 7035 amp and a Channel Master 3020HD antenna

I may see if it is worth swapping out the 7035 for a 7777. Unless another antenna is much better than the CM3020HD I suspect it will stay right where it is, though I realize the Winegard is probably better constructed at the very least.

Thank you for any and all thoughts!
Old 30-Dec-2013, 4:35 PM   #4
StephanieS

The Channel Master Quantum 3020 is one of the most aggressive fringe antennas as well. Swapping wouldn't be worth it as long as the 3020 is intact and in working order.

From the data I find, the Channel Master 7035 is a VHF preamp only that provides 15 db gain. For testing purposes the Channel Master 7777 is a combined VHF/UHF preamp. That UHF support is what you need to have a chance at CBS and NBC.

If this fails, perhaps it may be time to see if for those translators you could spearhead a move and ask the NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS stations, if they'd lend a hand to getting those translators nearby back up. It is a long shot, but broadcasters, especially in satellite dead areas and no cable, might listen. At 20 miles from the transmitter, you are in their service area.

Of interest, with those nearby analog translators off the air, Johnsburg is still keeping the licenses up to date. That further might give you an opening to find the person overseeing them or at a city meeting and giving voice that those translators are needed by residents, especially rural residents.

Last edited by StephanieS; 30-Dec-2013 at 4:41 PM.
Old 4-Jan-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
couchsachraga

Today the 7777 arrived, so I installed it. In taking the old pre-amp off I noticed it was not the Channel Master they said it was, but an Antenna's Direct model, which I think was a Clearstream CPA19 (17db gain?).

I also noticed the back half of the antenna is in rough shape (long elements may be helpful for reception, but an ice storm or two and wind have torn off or bent 3 of the back 4 elements).

I recommended they consider a new antenna, but preferably in the spring (as long as the current one continues working). Being up on the roof this time of year isn't ideal.

When I first installed the new pre-amp they had no reception, but after swinging the antenna around a few times the channels they had been receiving with the CPA19 reappeared. No new channels yet, though. I'm hoping that in less than ideal conditions (rain, etc...) at least with the higher gain pre-amp they won't lose the signal as they have in the past.
Old 4-Jan-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
StephanieS

Channels?

Which ones specifically? Are they receiving the translators and WVER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchsachraga View Post
but after swinging the antenna around a few times the channels they had been receiving with the CPA19 reappeared.

Last edited by StephanieS; 4-Jan-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 5-Jan-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
couchsachraga

The only channels are WVER - the translators, though listed, are no longer working.

If they are willing I'm going to see if they can try to bring in WCAX and a few others - it has always been a long shot, and may be particularly long with the condition of the antenna at this point.

Thank you VERY much for your help - it is greatly appreciated. I've already pointed them to the HD7698P for the spring....
Old 5-Jan-2014, 1:23 AM   #8
StephanieS

Ah, ok. I was wondering if something may have changed since you used the plural form of channel.

You know, for your situation and installing new antenna(s) and upon further consideration, I may opt for an Antennas Direct DB8 for UHF reception and an Antennacraft Y10-7-13 for high-VHF reception. This is arrangement is often the "go to" set up for weak signal reception.

I would combine both antennas via an Antennas Direct EU385CF combiner into one lead. Input DB8 coax into UHF input. Input Y10-7-13 coax into VHF input. I'd take the single combined lead then input into your existing channel master 7777 preamp. (Your channel master preamp ought to have a single input and output, yes?)

This in effect will allow you to point the DB8 to magnetic 156 to attempt CBS and NBC, while the Y10-7-13 I'd point at magnetic 93 for WVER.

Make sure if doing this installation, while mounting both antennas (I suggest DB8 at the top of the pole), that you have a minimum 3' to 4' spacing between antennas.

This wasn't suggested before as your parents already had an aggressive single antenna in place. With replacement needed, the DB8 and Y10-7-13 gives you a freedom to zero in on specific channels.

I'll be curious to see if you go this route and if you see the UHFs on RF 39 and 45.

This set up is pretty much the "big dog" weak signal set up you can purchase over the counter. This set up offers you a flexbility and ability to pinpoint on specific signals. The single antenna solution doesn't offer this. The Winegard 7698P while a great antenna, the flexibility of this reconsidered set up, I believe will offer more for your situation.

Last edited by StephanieS; 5-Jan-2014 at 2:50 AM.