TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Nov-2013, 3:39 PM   #1
akaeser

Question Accuracy in antenna positioning

I was wondering how accurate does the siting need to be for reception. I live about 35 mi from Louisville, KY. This is in rural KY, some mountains between here and Louisville, but we're pretty high up. I have a big maple about 30' from the house. I think I need to aim it just outside the reach of it's branches. I am aiming an antenna with a 100 mi. range. It is placed over 30' above the ground. Most of the stations are on either 13 degrees or 14 degrees from my home. Do I need to be exactly at either of them? What would be the effect of pointing at 13 degrees do to the stations at 14 degrees or vice versa?
akaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Nov-2013, 6:46 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Even a large directional antenna with a narrow forward beam will allow for several degrees of aiming error. Smaller antennas that aren't very directional may only need to be aimed to within 10 or 20 degrees to do well.

You don't need to worry about one degree. In this forum, you'll often see a suggested aim point provided with a system recommendation. In the end, adjust the aim for best results. If you have a signal meter function on your TV, use it to help gauge the effect of your adjustments. When the signals come from various angles, it's an exercise in compromise.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Nov-2013, 7:42 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
--------
For more information the general information.

Please post a Tvfool report use the Exact address to make the report.

And make the antenna height in the report 25 feet above ground.

25 feet above ground is a reference antenna height that provides a good idea what is receivable.

If the antenna is heigher above ground , make a Tvfool report with antenna at that height above ground and also the 25 feet above ground.
Old 1-Dec-2013, 2:06 AM   #4
akaeser

Smile Thanks for the information

I finally have the antenna up. I'm receiving receiving 33 stations. More than expected.
akaeser is offline   Reply With Quote