TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Jan-2011, 1:45 AM   #1
Cedars

Acworth, GA 30101

Great site, everyone!

I'm ready to give Comcast the heave-ho and get on board with OTA reception. I've toyed with this idea for a few years and now I'm ready.

Here is my map results:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da329e730be036

Fortunately, my house sits on a bluff NW of Atlanta in Acworth. Since my attic sheathing has a foil underlayment, that's not an area I see using (although that feature does cut down on my A/C bill in the summer!).

I'm thinking of using a roof/chimney mounted antenna. Since we do have a very strick HOA, I need to be careful in it's placement.

The suggested antennas mentioned for my area includes the Winegard HD-7696P and the AntennaCraft HBU-22. An AntennaCraft 10G201 preamp has been recommended for some, but I don't know if I need it.

Another site recommended the Winegard RS-1500 Omnidirectional antenna, since there are numerous stations to the north of me as well. The ChannelMaster 4228HD 8-bay HDTV/UHF anntenna was yet another suggestion.

As mentioned above, the antenna could be chimney mounted. I prewired the house with RG6 from the attic to the head-end room some 40' below in the basement. From there, I anticipate connecting the cable to a powered splitter that will feed up to 4-7 t.v.'s (ridiculous, I know).

Please help me decide exactly what I need. To confuse matters more, some say that one should consider going to the next larger antenna whenever long cable runs or multiple t.v.'s are involved... yikes!

On a side note, I will also be looking into a whole-house DVR/PVR solution like the Slingbox hardware/software package. This is especially intriguing since you can operate your t.v.'s from any mobile device such as iPhones and iPods... very cool... can anyone give me some site to look at?

Thank you all for your help -- it's people like you with a passion that gives true meaning and value to the Internet!!!
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2011, 2:45 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Here is Federal Law that says Yes you can install and use Tv antennas and other types of antennas. This Law came into being because there are all kinds of crazy people that desire to tell you what you can and cannot do with your own house and property. HOA's and housing covenents have known about this law for a long time , yet still stick it to people when ever they can. This Law Overrules Every One. No one prevent or even delay you from installing a tv antenna. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html . This law has been in effect since 1996 , the HOA's know this , yet they still try and stick it to yea.

Last edited by John Candle; 7-Jan-2011 at 3:02 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2011, 3:04 AM   #3
Cedars

Thanks, John - I've printed that material and will give it a read in the morning...
Old 7-Jan-2011, 3:10 AM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Read and understand this about Real and Virtual Digital Tv Channels. One needs to know the Real channels so one can know the correct antenna to use. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Cedars

Further research online reveals some newer models from Winegard. Would their MS2000 (or MS-2002) Metrostar Omnidirectional Amplified antenna work for me? I like the pizza-dish shape -- help keep the HOA off my back. This antenna has a range of up to 45 miles, which should cover virtually all of the towers in the Atlanta area.

Winegard's Zone 4 antennas include the HD7697P and HD7698P (VHF, UHF)(7-69). They also offer their HD8200U (VHF, UHF) antenna that is listed as "Heavy Duty Platinum" and includes FM.

All these choices and models are making my head spin into inactivity. I would like to get out a shop for an antenna over the weekend and would greatly appreciate any knowledgable recommendations!

Thank you!