TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Mar-2015, 4:58 PM   #1
schwab

OTA Attic Antenna in Northern Virginia

Hello! I'm hoping you can help recommend an attic antenna or solution to improve my OTA reception.

TV Fool Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f08e0066c350

Desired Channels: Major networks (WRC/NBC, WTTG/Fox, WJLA/ABC, WUSA/CBS) + PBS (WHUT, WETA, WMPT)

Current Setup: I currently have a large outdoor antenna (5-6') in the attic (something like this, but purchased many years ago at Radio Shack) attached to an HDHomeRun in my basement via 50' RG6 Coax Cable. I have a Antronix Residential Amplifier hooked to the bottom of the RG6 which also splits the cable into the back of the HD Homerun.

Current Signal Strength:
Code:
Call	Net	Chan	VChan	SigStren	SigQual	SymQual
WJLA	ABC	7	7.1	100%		80%	100%
WUSA	CBS	9	9.1	100%		75%	100%
WETA	PBS	27	26.1	90%		90%	100%
WHUT	PBS	33	32.1	90%		90-100%	100%
WTTG	Fox	36	5.1	100%		80-95	100%
WMPT	PBS	42	22.1	55%		50%	0%
WRC	NBC	48	4.1	100		80-100	100
Current Notes:
CBS and Fox are a little flakey - I'd like to make them solid! I've also tried this GE Attic Antenna and it did a little worse.

I look forward to your suggestions!
schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2015, 5:26 PM   #2
No static at all

Your current antenna should work fine, but likely just needs some tweaking.

-Are all desired channels except 5 & 9 reliable?
-Have you ever tried running the cable directly to 1 Tuner with the amp completely removed?
-Have you tried moving the antenna around to different spots in the attic. High as possible is usually best.

Last edited by No static at all; 27-Mar-2015 at 5:30 PM. Reason: Deleted FM trap question-former closeby station has moved to a new location
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2015, 6:59 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

First off, get rid of the amplifier and test reception via a direct connection to the antenna.

Your signal plot shows many very strong stations and potential over-amplification is the first item on the agenda to investigate.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Mar-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Jason l

I have found great difference in reception from;baluns;splitters;coax;last but not least location location location of the antenna. I myself have never experienced over amplification. And I have a good handful of really strong channels near my antenna with a high gain preamp on it. You would do much better if it was outside or possibly just one other area of the attic. as (no static at all)above reported
Jason l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Mar-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
No static at all

Depending on the amp it may or may not be overloading. The only way to tell is to see what happens without it.

Too bad the OP has disappeared as there is good hope for a successful attic set-up with a bit of tweaking. The biggest issue in the Northern Va area is airplane flutter from large jets landing at the 2 closeby Intl. airports.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote