TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Feb-2015, 9:28 PM   #1
Moe Howard

Pixelated in Placerville

Hi,

I live in the Sierra foothills about 50 miles east of Sacramento and at about El. 1900 ft with what I believe is within LOS of transmission towers on the valley flow also about 50 miles away. I have a barn with a finished upstairs and with an antenna already mounted on the roof. A photo of the antenna is attached.

My wife and I want to make use of this upstairs including the ability to watch TV. Rather than install another dish or stretch a cable to the barn, I looked to the easiest way out. I hooked up an HDTV, did a scan (this was during the day), and pulled in RC 21, 25, 9, 26, and 18. My wife (and maybe me, too) was hoping to get RC 35 (the local NBC station), I figured I needed a better antenna and started searching the 'net. This is where I found this site (thanks for what I have learned so far).

Here is my TVFR: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15aae888d0af

I later did a rescan at nighttime and pulled in the above channels plus RC 35, 40, 45 (they put QVC over the air???), and amazingly, 12, in the Bay Area over 100 miles away.

The bulk of these channels are located 229 to 231 degrees true azimuth which makes me believe the antenna is pointed in the correct direction.

My questions are:

1. What could be causing night time only reception of RC 35 other than some day time only interference?
2. What is my next step (to get RC 35 during the day)? Adding an amplifier? I know about the potential for garbage in/amplified garbage out. I would rather save installation of an new antenna as a last resort.

Thanks again for what I have learned so far and thanks in advance for your answers and advice.

- Moe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barn Antenna1.jpg (28.1 KB, 534 views)
Moe Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2015, 9:58 PM   #2
timgr

Have you tried moving the antenna up or down, or side to side? I'd guess you are in a local null for RC 35, which goes away when the atmospheric conditions are right (ie at night). Look here http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/siting.html for some insight about nulls.

The TVFR is just a simulation, and does not have the spatial resolution to pick up local nulls on the scale of the wavelength, if that's what you are experiencing.

BTW there is an entire hobby called DXing (distance listening) that aims to pull in distant radio and TV. Hard to say why you received KNTV ...
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

You're right, if your antenna is not receiving a clean signal, an amplifier is not going to filter out the noise and interference... both are amplified right along with any desired signal. An amplifier is only intended to overcome loss in cable and splitters connected to the output of the amp. No amplifier 'pulls' signal in. Amplifiers are only capable of 'pushing' signal out. Unless you are going to drive some unusually long runs and split many ways, I see no need for amplification. There's plenty of signal power in the air according to the report you've posted.

Follow timgr's suggestions. Be open to adjusting aim and mounting height as well as location. While you're up there, carefully inspect the antenna, coax and connectors for signs of weathering, corrosion or other damage. Any moisture allowed to enter the coax will make it unreliable. Wet coax can affect just one channel if the conditions are just right. If water intrusion is suspected, a new cable and connectors are needed. Wet cable can never be trusted, and should be scrapped rather than salvaged.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Feb-2015 at 11:17 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 8:54 PM   #4
Moe Howard

Thanks Timgr and GroundUrMast. Up the roof I go....
Moe Howard is offline   Reply With Quote