TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Jul-2012, 1:33 AM   #1
NEAuroraCO

Equipment Recommendation for NE Denver (Aurora)

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...990080040e748e

After reading for hours I'm more confused than ever.

I would like to install the antenna in the attic to keep the neighbors & HOA happy.
2 Story house so I'm guessing about 20 feet AGL.
Ubiquitous wood framing and fiberglass asphalt shingles roof.
No big tree's or power lines.
Will serve 2 TV's for now.
25 and 45 feet cable runs.

Thanks!

Last edited by NEAuroraCO; 26-Jul-2012 at 2:06 AM. Reason: I need to learn how to spell
NEAuroraCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2012, 1:47 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

You have lot's of signal strength to work with. An RCA ANT-751 pointed at 290° should give you many signals to choose from.

Amazon often has the lowest price.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2012, 1:59 AM   #3
NEAuroraCO

Thanks for the recommendation! Very good reviews and price on Amazon.

A couple of follow up questions.

I don't mind spending more to get the maximum amount of channels possible. So if budget is not an issue is the RCA ANT-751 still the best option?

Also, I found the FTC link that says HOA can't prevent you from installing a Outdoor antenna under 1 meter in size (diagonal). If I'm reading it correctly.
So on average which would provide the better signal strength:
A very large antenna in the attic.
OR
1 meter diagonal outdoor antenna

Sorry for all the noob questions.
Old 26-Jul-2012, 2:44 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Quote:
The following antennas or dishes are covered by these rules:
  • A "dish" antenna one meter (39.37 inches) or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska), designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.
  • An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable), or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.
  • An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals.
When I read the 1 meter restriction, it sounds as if it specifically applies to satellite service reception. Over the air TV is spoken of separately and has no such limiting dimension mentioned.

You have two major groups of stations, one west of you and another to the NE. The signals are strong and most are not blocked by terrain. So, a modest gain antenna is going to do well, both in terms of signal strength received and the range from left to right which it will receive well.

If you can mount outside, a Winegard HD7000R will be even better than the ANT-751. The 7000 will give you a shot at receiving the one or two stations in the CH-2 to CH 6 band. You should not need an amplifier if splitting to two or three TVs.
Old 26-Jul-2012, 2:51 AM   #5
NEAuroraCO

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Size only applies to dishes.

I'll try one of those and report back how it worked for those interested.

Thanks for helping.

edit: It will be a couple of weeks before I get this done, but I have auto notification for posts enabled in case I forget to post an update.

Last edited by NEAuroraCO; 26-Jul-2012 at 2:53 AM.
Old 26-Jul-2012, 2:57 AM   #6
teleview

Tv Reception.

The one meter in size applies to the small satellite dishes.

Tv antennas can be any size to get reception.

It is important understand concept and then the actual fact and get the wording correct.

Some Hoa's and housing coven-nuts and etc. are not very friendly and will use any slip up you make.

That said the Tv transmissions are so strong at your location that if the roof is not a metal roof , you can put the antenna in the attic or above the roof and the reception will be the same.

Here is the Federal Antenna Law that says yes you can , install , use , maintain , a Tv antenna of any size above the roof to get reliable reception.

Read this Federal Antenna Law and understand that it is written in your favor and provides for you concrete legal rights to , install , use , maintain , antennas and stops the antenna haters dead in there tracks.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.

Make no mistake , there are people that despise and hate antennas , they hide behind rules and regulations and say bad things about antennas.

Think about this , antennas are made of metal and plastic , does a normal person despise and hate metal and plastic.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Jul-2012 at 3:05 AM.
Old 26-Jul-2012, 3:28 AM   #7
NEAuroraCO

Thanks. I'm going to dig out my covenants and see what they say. With the link I'm sure I would eventually win, but it's not causing trouble if I can use an indoor antenna and get the same results. They have plenty of other people fighting them on every rule. On the other hand I can always tell them to either comply with federal law or pay for 1000 channels of comcast cable. lol.

Really glad I posted up here first. I was planning on buying a 150" antenna for my attic under the good old premise that bigger is always better. Looks like that would be a waste of money without delivering any more channels.

Thanks again. Can't wait to get this working. I have dish now which compared to HD OTA looks like crap IMO.
Old 26-Jul-2012, 3:34 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Glad to help...

A large antenna would likely be too directional.

OTA is going to deliver HD without any bit-robbing by a 'service' provider.

Let us know how you do.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')