TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Jan-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
WNC

Wink Seeking Antenna Advice

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c152a35fa0210

Hi all,
I live in Western North Carolina and would appreciate advice on Antennas.
I currently have just a set-top antenna and the only channel I can pick up is WHNS-21.
I believe I may have a transmitter for WHNS a couple of miles from my house that isn't reported by most places? While TVFool says I likely wont get it, it actually comes in pretty good with just a set-top antenna, minimal pixilation.

If possible, I would like to pick up at least WLOS-13, WUNF-33 and WSPA-7.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlie

Last edited by WNC; 16-Jan-2015 at 10:44 PM.
WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

W34DX-D is listed on your TV Fool Report. It is the call sign of one of the six translator stations WHNS is licensed to operate. Low power translators are generally used to provide service in areas that the main transmitter signal can't cover, usually due to obstructing terrain.

The signals from WASV-LP, W34DX-D and WLOS should be fairly easy to receive with a modest sized outdoor antenna such as the Winegard HD7694P or Antennacraft HBU-33, pointed at about 195° per a real compass. (W41BQ would also be included if the station is on the air. www.rabbitears.info indicates that it's not on the air at this time.)

A premium system could be built using the antenna mentioned above, connected to the built in tuner of your TV(s)... And a secondary antenna, cabled separately to an axillary tuner. I'd consider either a Winegard HD7698P or combine a UHF and H-VHF such as the Antennas Direct DB8E and Antennacraft Y10713. In either case, I'd add a rotator so that one could point the antenna at the weaker, more distant stations. A good preamp would be needed to go after the weaker signals, The RCA TVPRAMP1R comes to mind, though I am hearing that Antennas Direct is going to have a new preamp hitting the market soon.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote