TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Jan-2015, 1:02 AM   #1
mackz12

Help in Waterbury, CT

Hello everyone.

I am seeking help and or advice from forum members on an antenna for here in Waterbury. I live in a standard wood frame two story apartment with a single layer of fiberglass shingles on the roof. My apartment is on a roughly N-S axis with windows on both stories facing N-S. Unfortunately, an inside mount is all I will be able to do. I've asked the landlord about the possibility of putting an antenna in the attic, but he's still thinking about it, so that avenue is anything but certain.

I would like to receive as many stations as possible, but if I have to settle for just the major ones ABC,FOX, NBC, etc., that will be okay. I know, from information I have gathered, that the CBS station is not easy. Here is my TVFool plot

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15d0f9630058

Like many here, I've decided to cut the cable cord, in this case, Comcast. I have Netflix, and Amazon Instant video, and looking forward to when HBO begins streaming to non-cable subscribers, and to Dish's Sling TV. I watch everything on a single television, A Panasonic plasma TC-P55ST60, and the pictue is great. I'd like to keep it that way, without Comcast. I would consider two antennas, each pointed in separate directions (roughly N-S) if that would be advantageous.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Mackz

Mackz
mackz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jan-2015, 5:10 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

It's not clear how much space you have available for an antenna. The moderate to weak signal from WFSB calls for a lager antenna... The Antennas Direct DB8E would not be overkill, especially if you have to handicap it with indoor or attic mounting. WTNH on real CH 10 calls for an Antennacraft Y5713 and a view toward the SE.

The bottom line is that you'll need to experiment with antenna location, understanding that construction materials may pose some significant challenges.

Reception starts with the antenna(s) and their location/aim. Amplifiers have their place, but they do not increase the performance of an antenna. When you have only one tuner and a total cable run of 50' or less, an amplifier can actually cause more signal quality problems than it solves.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote