TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Feb-2011, 3:10 AM   #1
Blaz1295

Still no FOX

Guys I got the Antennacraft HBU33 up with an RCA VH140N 10db amplifier and with it pointed at 225 get ABC, CBS, & NBC from Columbia and Augusta along with CW & PBS from Columbia. I am not able to receive FOX from either. Signal strength is much improved over the homemade bowtie but disappointed I thought I would be able to get the FOX station from Augusta since it is in the yellow. Any ideas?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4de66e06a7a
Blaz1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
No static at all

I would start by adjusting the height up & down a few inches at a time to find a sweet spot for FOX. The signal strength should be sufficient according to TV FOOL, but it is not always right. If the small tweaks don't help, you may have to go up 5-10 feet higher or walk the roof to find a better signal for FOX. I am assuming the antenna is on the roof.

If all else fails, you will need a stronger antenna. I would recommended at least a Winegard 7695 for your situation.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2011, 1:44 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaz1295 View Post
I thought I would be able to get the FOX station from Augusta since it is in the yellow. Any ideas?
Note that you have co-channel W31BS that is only 5.6 db weaker than WFXG. The solution could be an antenna with a better front to side ratio, or positioning the antenna on the side of the house such that the house blocks to path to 109° but is clear toward 225°.

The other option is to aim at 61 degrees for WACH instead of 225°

Last edited by Tower Guy; 14-Feb-2011 at 1:48 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2011, 4:37 PM   #4
Blaz1295

Didn't have any luck with it pointed at 60 degrees is why I turned it to 225. It doesn't seem to matter which direction it is pointed for the other stations either they all come in both directions. So I could lower the antenna some so the chimney would block W31BS but I am not getting that channel now.
Old 14-Feb-2011, 6:08 PM   #5
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Try the double rescan at http://www.dtv.gov
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2011, 6:27 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaz1295 View Post
Guys I got an RCA VH140N 10db amplifier
The amplifier is not intended to mount at the antenna, therefore, the loss of the line between the antenna and the amplifier adds to the system noise. Also, 10 db is not sufficient gain to overcome the noise of the receiver plus the line losses. Consider the AP-8700 preamp instead.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2011, 2:28 AM   #7
Blaz1295

Success!!! Repositioned the antenna to 60 degrees, lowered it and tilted it slightly up (read this online about another antenna so I tried it). Lost on NBC 12 from Augusta but got WACH FOX from Columbia. I am not sure if I didn't have it right at 60 before or the lowering or tilting helped but I am leaving it. I think I still need a better amplifier the meter on the TV shows 9 bars and FOX is only 3 but the picture is great all the other channels are 7-9 bars.

So when I get the mast mounted amplifier do I go as short as possible on the coax from the antenna to the amplifier? Thanks to everyone for all the help.
Old 15-Feb-2011, 2:43 AM   #8
No static at all

Glad to hear the good news!!

The recommended Winegard 8700 amp should offer an improvement over the inline amp being used now. Make sure the FM trap is turned on to reduce the strong FM signals in the area. A few feet of cable from the antenna to the preamp is fine. The difference between 1 to 5 feet won't matter.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote