TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Feb-2011, 8:14 PM   #1
carbon rod

Dual-Antenna Setup (?) Chicago/Milwaukee

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e07cc0fac81462

Located just about equidistant between Chicago & Milwaukee.

Currently using a Terk HDTVa about 25' above ground (upstairs bedroom) and reliably getting anything I want from Chicago OTA. I'd like to also get Milwaukee stations on a reliable basis.

If I turn the Terk antenna so it faces north, I can scan (during daylight hours – night is obv. better) these Milwaukee stations with a signal intensity around 75% and a signal quality between 5-25%:
WCGV, WTMJ, WITI, WMVT, WDJT, WMVS
Most are more or less watchable, but pretty consistently have artifacts and whatnot, to the point where it's not particularly enjoyable to watch them.
The antenna also scans WISN and WVTV, but they are both unwatchable (WVTV says no signal).

Of perhaps some interest is w/antenna pointing north, most of the Chicago stations still come in passbly well. However, I'm running a DVR (mythtv) off the antenna and need to make sure I'm very reliably getting any station I wish to watch, so I can't just point the antenna to the north and cross my fingers. (well, I could, but i'd constantly worry about missing NOVA or something, heh).

Re: the DVR's, I currently have two un-networked DVR's. one is using the antenna and the other one is using basic cable (which will soon be dropped). The plan is to network the DVR's and possibly add a third, depending on OTA options & so on.

I have a large, unfinished attic with no metal in it that I can see...would add maybe 6' of height to the antenna. I was considering moving the Terk antenna into the attic and pointing it at Chicago and then possibly adding an aerial (maybe w/amp?) pointing north to Milwaukee. I'm assuming an omnidirectional antenna would not get the job done based on how much blue & purple I have going on.

So I suppose questions are:

1. Is reliably receiving the above Milwaukee stations a (strong) possibility? If so, what would be needed equipment?

2. Assuming I need a two-antenna setup, what's the best way to join the Chicago signal to the Milwaukee signal? Is there something that will allow me to join them into the same coax line, or would I be better off having a “milwaukee” DVR and a “chicago” DVR and just sharing material via computer network?

Thanks for any help/suggestions. This post seems pretty long, hopefully I didn't put you to sleep.
carbon rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Feb-2011, 9:00 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon rod View Post

2. Assuming I need a two-antenna setup, what's the best way to join the Chicago signal to the Milwaukee signal? Is there something that will allow me to join them into the same coax line, or would I be better off having a “milwaukee” DVR and a “chicago” DVR and just sharing material via computer network?
Don't try to combine them. Use an A/B switch to switch between them, or get an external tuner/DVR for the second antenna. For instance, if you had a Channel Master CM-7000PAL connected in your preferred direction you could DVR those stations and watch the other city live.

A two tuner HD Homerun can also deal with two antennas.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2011, 3:22 PM   #3
carbon rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Don't try to combine them. Use an A/B switch to switch between them, or get an external tuner/DVR for the second antenna. For instance, if you had a Channel Master CM-7000PAL connected in your preferred direction you could DVR those stations and watch the other city live.

A two tuner HD Homerun can also deal with two antennas.
Thanks for the response. It looks like the DVR setup I'm currently using is similar in functionality to the CM-7000.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of antenna & if I'd need/want an amplifier to pick up the stations on my report (in the first post) starting with WITI and working downwards to WVCY or so? I'm colorblind and can't really tell what background colors are on the report.

Maybe a better way to put it is I can already get everything that's situated in the 149 degree range (down to WWME) on the azimuth column; I'd like to add the stations in the 7 degree range but am not sure what would be the best way to do so. The current antenna I have does not consistently pick up the stations in that cluster even if I turn it that direction.
Old 15-Feb-2011, 4:30 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of antenna & if I'd need/want an amplifier to pick up the stations on my report (in the first post) starting with WITI and working downwards to WVCY or so?
Do you want WMVS?

If yes, you need large 7-69 antenna such as the HD-7696P

If no, a four bay UHF is big enough. (4221, DB-4, U-4000, HD 4400 etc)

Either antenna should be mounted on the roof and would need an amplifier such as the HDP-269.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 15-Feb-2011 at 4:33 PM.
Old 15-Feb-2011, 6:16 PM   #5
carbon rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Do you want WMVS?

If yes, you need large 7-69 antenna such as the HD-7696P

If no, a four bay UHF is big enough. (4221, DB-4, U-4000, HD 4400 etc)

Either antenna should be mounted on the roof and would need an amplifier such as the HDP-269.
WMVS would be nice, but is not a dealbreaker since the main channel is rebroadcast on WMTV up in the UHF range (I think i got that right).

However, I live in a townhouse and will need to put the antenna in the attic - I know that adds an element of randomness to the "will it work" question - so in this case would I be better off going with the larger antenna, assuming I could get it up into the attic?
Thanks for your help.
Old 15-Feb-2011, 7:24 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
in this case would I be better off going with the larger antenna, assuming I could get it up into the attic?
Thanks for your help.
Yes, you can try an 8 bay instead of the 4 bay. Either should fit in the attic. The HD7696P might be too large.

Any of the yagi style antenna would be a tight fit in most attics.
Old 15-Feb-2011, 7:25 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
in this case would I be better off going with the larger antenna, assuming I could get it up into the attic?
Thanks for your help.
Yes, you can try an 8 bay instead of the 4 bay.

Any of the yagi style antenna would be a tight fit in most attics.The HD7696P might be too large.