TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > Welcome

Notices

Old 20-Dec-2014, 5:27 PM   #1
mike 66

two Antennas / DVR

I have a CM 5020 mounted in my attic with a rotor and a CM7778 amp. My problem is before I cut the cable need to solve a problem. We mostly watch recorded shows all of which are on broadcast TV. I am thinking about CM DVR PLUS but need to record on two channels that I can not pickup at the same time. I have experimented with this with cheap antennas that were given to me and know I can do this. I am picking up mutiple 3 NBC,3 FOX,2 ABC,2 CBS,2 PBS,1 CW,1 MYN and 2 ION when pointed in various direction but have not been able to pickup cominations I need in any one direction. I like the fact that I am lucky enough to get so many channels and would not mind picking up more cause a lot of secondary channels air different programs.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2437fcd708522

With right conditions I have picked up 18.1 77 miles away and have no problems with getting 21.1 and 13.1 if pointed in that direction.
Question 1
Will DVR get program info from more than one broadcast station so that I can record from two different location or does it record simple by channel and time.
QUESTION 2.
Thinking about roof mounting and buying Windguard 8200U,another CM5020,or maybe HD stacker to combined with attic mounted CM5020. Which antenna would be best for my area .open to any other Antenna also. Wish they made omni that would pickup all these stations. Thanks you for any help Ican get.
mike 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Dec-2014, 1:34 AM   #2
Jake V

This post really belongs in the "Help with Reception" forum.

Question 1 - If you're talking about the program information that comes over the air from the television broadcast itself, that is embedded in the tv signal. So no signal, no info.

Question 2 - How many of each network do you want? You might provide a list (in the order they appear on your plot). If this were me, and if I really only wanted one of each network (with anything else a bonus) I'd get an Antennas Direct DB-8e and put it up in the air (one panel aimed at 7 degrees and the other at about 158 degrees on a compass (I'd expect to pick up the first two on your list at 307 degrees since they are strong). Then I'd add a VHF-LO antenna for WBRA-TV 3 PBS. Something like an Antennacraft CS600.

Others will post with more knowledge than I. If not, re-post below.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Apr-2015, 4:13 AM   #3
nikopow

Channel Master DVR+

I am in a similar situation. My wife likes to record the CBS Early Morning show from 7am-9am. She watches it when she gets home from work at 2pm. She also likes the View on ABC and records that too. I want to cut the cord but, needed a way to record these two shows for her.

After much research I went with the Channel Master DVR+. I can now record the shows. I can record two shows at the same time or record one show and watch another one. The DVR has the same functions as the Charter one. for the guide I ran an ethernet cable from my router to the CM, though they sell a WiFi adapter, and can schedule her program series and I can also view the station guide for up to two weeks.

I purchased an Ooma phone system that costs us $3.83 a month, which included long distance US and Canada. And then went with Netflix and HBO Now subscriptions so we're both happy plus we are saving $100 a month after the initial outlay for antennas, DVR, subscriptions and phone.

Last edited by nikopow; 29-Apr-2015 at 4:16 AM. Reason: added info
nikopow is offline   Reply With Quote