TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-May-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
GatorNate

Question Help getting 9.1

Hi there!
I recently moved to the area and have setup about a 15' grounded antenna mast that clears the roof of my house. I'm using a RCA ANT751 antenna attached to an old satellite dish. I have an Audiovox TVPRAMP1R Out Antenna PreAmp mounted under the edge of my roof, about a 10' run from the antenna. from there its a straight shot of about 30' RG6-Q cable to my tv. I have the dish pointed at roughly N/NW location of station 9.1, but for the life of me I can't get even a hint of it. Why? I get channels further away and in the opposite direction at 90%+ signal strength. I really want to get this up and running before football season, I have a baby on the way and money is tight so its will be OTA channels for a little while for us. Here is my location report. Thank you for any and all help/advice!
GatorNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-May-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

Ok, a few quick points. You need to get the antenna parallel to mother earth and pointed 335 degrees. Remove pre-amp, hopefully you have enough cable to direct connect it. Heck if not bring the antenna down, hook it direct, point, rescan and see what you have. Amp may not be needed. If so, amp is way too far away. <6' is normal distance.

You will get much better info shortly. If you have a known good coax, then bypass all existing straight from antenna to tv. And I am with you Football is a priority here too.
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-2014, 1:05 AM   #3
GatorNate

Thanks Flint!
I'm hoping for a break in the typical Florida stormy summer weather tomorrow and will try and make the modifications you suggested. I put a couple loops in the coax under the edge of the roof so water would drip from it properly so I should have enough to bypass the amp.

Nate
Old 31-May-2014, 6:53 AM   #4
teleview

+=>

The Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels in the Green and Yellow reception zones of Current Plus Pending Applications Included TvFool Report are strong signal strength.

No antenna system amplifier is required.

Install the Antenna Above the Peak of the Roof in Such a Manner that the Roof and Building are Not , Obstructing , Impeding , Blocking , ---> Reception in the Directions of , North West , North , North East , South East.

Aim the antenna at about 341 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

--------------

As Always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to Install Antenna at a Location that has the Least Amount to No Amount of Obstructions of Any Type or Kind in the Directions of Reception Including Your Own Roof and Building.

Also Move the Antenna Away From Electric and Electronic Devices that are Inside and Outside of Attic.

--------------

As a Test to Prove Reception.

Disconnect and remove All parts of the preamplifier , disconnect and remove the preamp unit , disconnect and remove the power injector/power supply units.

Install a New matching transformer (balun) to the antenna.

Connect a NEW Continues Length of standard coax that has , one foil shied and one braid shield , do not use quad shield.

Run the NEW Continues Length of coax from the matching transformer through a open door or window direct to one Tv.

No couplers , No splitters , No etc. .

---------------

Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do a Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

---------------

Now reconnect All parts of the Preamp and Rescan for Channels.

What is reception like now??

Last edited by teleview; 7-Jun-2014 at 8:40 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 31-May-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Remove the dish and the arm that holds its LNB, then mount the antenna directly to the original dish J-mount if that location allows you a clear and unobstructed view to the NNW.

Eliminate the pre-amplifier, it should be unneeded.

Re-use only the coaxial cable (and possibly the mount) from the satellite installation. Be absolutely certain you have removed any and all splitters, diplexers, multi-switches, and the like should there have been any in use.

If WNBW still won't come in after that, you're going to need to figure out why - most likely will be electrical interference.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jun-2014, 9:59 PM   #6
GatorNate

Question Update!

OK so here is an updated status on where I stand:

- lowered antenna/dish angle so its now parallel with the earth (improved sig strength)
- pointed it in the instructed direction (checked with compass)
- replaced faulty balun
- relocated preamp to about 30 inches from the balun connector (decided to leave the preamp online as it was boosting strength about 10-15% on avg per channel)

On my report I get CBS digital 28 at about a steady 65-70% signal and it uses the same tower as NBC 9.1 that I am trying to get. I see that CBS broadcasts at a much much higher KW so I am assuming that equates into higher db signal in my area. When I click on the signal map for 9.1 it shows I am in light blue coverage area (typical range of attic antenna), but am still can't get the slightest flicker of it. What on earth am I doing wrong? Do i need a separate VHF antenna or something? Thank you all so much for any and all the helpful advice! I must be prepared for football and to watch ND lose! muahahaha
Old 6-Jun-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
GatorNate

1 more item

I did the doublescan as you suggested teleview... still no go
Old 6-Jun-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Perhaps the preamp is in the separate mode. That would block only VHF channel 9. If so, switch the preamp to combined or bypass the preamp completely.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jun-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
GatorNate

Tower,
I'm getting channels 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 crystal clear. If it were in separate mode would i still be getting them?
Old 7-Jun-2014, 1:43 AM   #10
teleview

+=>

Call the Tv Station with a Real and Actual Phone.

Have a Real and Actual Voice Conversation with the Engineering Department.

Ask about the coverage area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNBW-DT.

Last edited by teleview; 8-Jun-2014 at 5:14 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 7-Jun-2014, 1:49 AM   #11
Tower Guy

The actual RF channel for WUFT is on UHF, so yes you would expect to pick up 5.1 with the preamp in the wrong mode or a failed VHF section of the preamp.
Old 7-Jun-2014, 2:29 AM   #12
ADTech

WNBW operates a highly directional transmitting antenna: http://www.rabbitears.info/pattern.p...tion=0&erp=4.9 with only a 4.9 kW ERP in its maximum direction (away from you). WUFT transmits at a MILLION watts on a UHF frequency with an omnidirectional pattern, so the observation that the stations are on the same tower doesn't tell much of the story.

You're on the wrong side of it as it only puts a measly ~200 watts in your direction. The light bulbs in my garage use more power. When dealing with such a miniscule transmit power level, the signal will likely be far weaker than predicted and will likely be far more susceptible to localized interference.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Last edited by ADTech; 7-Jun-2014 at 2:37 AM.
Old 7-Jun-2014, 2:32 AM   #13
GatorNate

Thx ADTech! I'm disappointed but that's a really neat tool you linked. I guess I will have to redirect my efforts to getting the NBC channel a few miles further in the other direction.
Old 7-Jun-2014, 5:04 PM   #14
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
You're on the wrong side of it as it only puts a measly ~200 watts in your direction.
Nice catch AD!
Old 7-Jun-2014, 6:42 PM   #15
ADTech

Yeah, once I realized he was trying to get the Gainesville NBC station, it clicked into place. I've been dealing with customers from south of Gainesville for years trying to get that station. IIRC,they (WNBW) had to have a sharp null to the SSE to protect another station's (WFTV?) old analog contour and they never changed their antenna after the other station went digital on UHF in 2009 and the requirement for the null was gone.

Trying for WESH's Ocala translator on UHF 24 is going to be tough (or worse). Guess what? They also have a directional antenna, a low power UHF signal, and you're on the wrong side of that one, also. You have a whole 57 watts in your direction from that one and it's 23 miles away.

You're probably going to have to go to a larger high-VHF only antenna aimed at WNBW and very carefully amplify the VHF signal. Plus, you'll have to optimize that antenna's location and aim just for that station.

Last edited by ADTech; 7-Jun-2014 at 6:46 PM.