TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jul-2014, 6:51 PM   #1
Angelol

Want an OTA but is it worth it for me?

Greetings all,
Great Forum i have learned a lot reading through the different threads.

I guess what it comes down to for me, (as i have already cut the cord) is it really worth the investment based on these results?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c601b60ecbd4

Right now, my wife and I stream our content and watch what is left on the Analog band.

I really want to invest in an OTA system and was hoping to install the Antenna in the attic as well.

But seeing my results that would probably limit me further?

As i said, i really want to invest, but am afraid ill dump 300 - 600 bucks on a system that would only get 8-12 channels?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Angelol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2014, 2:52 AM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings Angelol,

Three hundred to six hundred dollars to invest a set up often happens in much more extreme situations than yours. You have a reasonably easy opportunity for your the Toronto signals without breaking $75 to 80.

If it's only Toronto you seek, an Antennacraft HBU11k mounted outdoors with a clear line of sight to magnetic heading 134 will get you there with the green shaded signals. This is a total of six stations and their respective secondary channels.

If you want the American networks, rerun your plot at 25' and 50' to see if the signals improve to see if the additional effort is worth it.

How many TVs do you intend to feed?

Attics are not ideal, the HBU11k is an easy small antenna that takes up no more space than the small satellite dish similiar to direct TV for example. It is suggested you mount outdoors.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 22-Jul-2014 at 2:56 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2014, 2:57 PM   #3
Angelol

Thanks for the reply!!

I am interested in catching both Canadian and American channels.

I checked out the HBU11k and it looks better than others i have seen ( in terms of size) and i can live with this mounted on the outside of my house

will this be enough to catch both Canadian and American?

I plan to feed at least 3 TV's

Excuse my ignorance as I am new to all this.

Speaking with my local dealer, they quoted just under 500 bucks fully installed.

Again thanks in advance for all your replies, this is really helping a newbie out.

Cheers!!

just want to know if im getting ripped off.
Old 22-Jul-2014, 8:51 PM   #4
StephanieS

Hello Angelol,

Glad to help out. The HBU11k is strictly for local or suburban reception of good to strong signals. For any attempt of the US broadcasts, it is not the appropriate antenna choice with your current map.

That said, please post a 25 foot and 50 foot tvfool radar plot for your address.

US broadcasts are often received in Toronto. The farther you are off the lake, the harder US broadcasts become. The additional plots with higher elevation will give us a clue if it's worth the effort.

The $500 install was obviously for the "full install" labor, parts, etc. I don't know what the installer had in mind for an antenna. The HBU11k is in the "easy" category and you can install it yourself with minimal hassle. If you were to need an aggressive set up for the US signals, that becomes a more intricate install and may include two antennas.

I'm not going to worry too heavily about the three TVs you wish to feed a this point. Let's see if the American broadcasts are a possibility, then we can lay your system out piece by piece.

Cheers.
Old 23-Jul-2014, 1:45 PM   #5
Angelol

StephanieS, thanks for all your help
really appreciate it.

Here are the results for

25'
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c699c62dfa0f

50'
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c601b0a1c6c2
Old 23-Jul-2014, 5:40 PM   #6
StephanieS

It looks like at 50', you have some chances for US signals.

CW becomes the best chance at US reception. PBS and CBS are in the extremely weak category, but may be mostly reliable. FOX and ABC are right on the bleeding edge of signal strength for reception. How you recieve will rely on localized factors TV fool can't account for. NBC is too weak and unless exceptionally lucky, will not be viewable.

Let's look at it another way for successful reception:
CW: very likely
PBS/CBS: possible, with luck may be mostly reliable
FOX/ABC: In sometimes, others not.
NBC: unlikely

So you have one US signal that is likely at 50', 2 possible and 2 "maybes." The question is do you want to set a system to see if the if you get some of the US signals. This would require a two antenna set up and could push your expenses up to a few hundred dollar range depending on mounting equipment needed (50' rohn push up pole) and then you may only see one or two US signals once the installation is completed in a less favorable outcome.

How tall is your home? Are you surrounded by trees? Are you in a suburban area or on open land?

My goal here is give you a reasonable picture of what it'll take so you can make an informed choice.

Easy is still the HBU11k, going after the US signals is going to be more of a production.
Old 23-Jul-2014, 6:52 PM   #7
Angelol

I live in a suburban area, new development, -

House is a normal 2 story house, maybe 25 ft at the eves,

no trees around me, but area is covered by them.

here is a map snapshot, not sure how much this will help

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.87529.../data=!3m1!1e3

I think a 50' in this environment may piss some people off.

maybe 25' would probably work best...
Old 23-Jul-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
StephanieS

I understand about not wanting to irritate the neighbors.

Mounting at 25' or 30' above ground off the eave sounds like your most viable option.

Sometimes TVfool maps are accurate with weak signals, sometimes they aren't. Some report signals that they shouldn't be able to receive. When you get into these weak signals, it's a "put it up and give it a try" type of situation.

I would install a Antennas Direct DB8e above your eave, (ideally at 30') orientated to magnetic heading 145.

This will yield you Toronto and the best shot at Buffalo. You may have some trouble with CFTO 9, this is due to that signal being high VHF and operating on a different band from the other signals. With the DB8e, in this situation there is a 50/50 chance that signal will be fine. It's best to get an antenna in the air and test before deciding if a small supplemental VHF antenna is needed. You can report back and if needed we can adjust.

Once antenna is mounted, and make sure it's in the best spot on your roof clear of obstructions. Run the coax from the antenna to ONE TV. This sets your baseline of performance. If satisfactory, add splitter and see if the other 3 feeds are acceptable. If not, you may need to add a distribution amplifier. Problems will show up as 1 or 2 TVs seeing a signal, but another doesn't. Normally the TV farthest from the antenna is the one that'll have the biggest issues if this problem arises.

The base recommendation here though is get the DB8e in the air to 145 magnetic then test.

You can pick up a 5' pole from Radio Shack or 10' 1 and 1/4" top of chainlink fence pole from the super hardware type of stores

Good luck!
Old 24-Jul-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelol View Post
I live in a suburban area, new development, -

House is a normal 2 story house, maybe 25 ft at the eves,

no trees around me, but area is covered by them.

here is a map snapshot, not sure how much this will help

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.87529.../data=!3m1!1e3

I think a 50' in this environment may piss some people off.

maybe 25' would probably work best...
It is perfectly legal, to mount an antenna on your roof.

Neighbors have no say in the matter.

I would love to have somebody try and tell me that they don't like the two 45' towers that are on my property.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Keep in mind the OP is in Canada which has no equivalent of the US' OTARD law.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2014, 1:07 PM   #11
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Keep in mind the OP is in Canada which has no equivalent of the US' OTARD law.
OOPS!
I guess I was absent that day
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2014, 1:33 PM   #12
Angelol

Hey thanks for all the info.
Actually found someone at the top of the development with an antenna mounted on their roof?

Gonna knock on the guys door and try to check it out, but he has his mounted right at the peak of his roof.. no pole required. very nice setup.

So it seems to be working for some in the area which is positive!

Thanks again for all the help guys, i will update with more findings.

Thanks again StephanieS !!!!!!!