TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Nov-2010, 7:40 PM   #1
jp2code
Ctrl+Alt+Delete

PBS on Real Ch 24

I've recently made many changes to our OTA setup (new antenna, preamp, new RG6, shorter coax lines), and our TV reception is greatly improved.

I have an Antennas Direct 91XG about 30-ft in the air pointing about 74° (Magn).

Attached to that is a Channel Master CM7777 Titan2 VHF/UHF preamp.

These are connected with RG6 to a grounded mast with rain loops.

Once inside the house, the RG6 is grounded and fed into a 4-way splitter (living room, 2 bedrooms, and one terminated output).

The last good channel I get is KSLA (Real 17, Virtual 12, CBS, NM 21.3 dB).

What are my options for getting PBS at 74° with a NM of 13.4 dB? It comes in from time to time, but it is not dependable. We really want our PBS!

My TV Fool data is >> HERE << or you can simply reference the plot below:

Old 16-Nov-2010, 2:23 AM   #2
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
What are my options for getting PBS at 74°
The TV FOOL report shows sufficient signal strength at your location for reliable reception of RF 24. Have you ever tried tweaking the antenna height up & down in small increments? (around 6 inches) Also, if you are pointed directly into any obstacles at fairly close range, the antenna may require aiming off axis for a reliable signal on that particular channel.

The other thing that comes to mind is the 7777 preamp may be at risk of front end overload, but with the antenna aimed at 74°, I think you are safe. You may want to try hooking 1 TV straight to the preamp (no splitter) to see if that improves 24.

If nothing you try improves 24 to a watchable level, you may want to extend the 91XG. ($25.00 from Antennas Direct) I have found that to reduce multipath interference & improve reliability with problem channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Extended 91XG.JPG (410.3 KB, 791 views)
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2010, 4:32 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Reception

Try the double rescan at http://www.dtv.gov
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
jp2code
Ctrl+Alt+Delete

@No static at all: When you say to extend the 91XG, are you talking about putting the antenna on a longer pole or add the extra antenna that you displayed in the picture?

@John Candle: The channel actually scanned into my lineup. It is the signal that keeps dropping in and out.
Old 16-Nov-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
No static at all

You can add a middle section to the 91XG that will provide a small gain increase, but more importantly can help tame multipath if that is a problem. You should be getting all of the yellow coded stations with the set-up you have.

I would start with raising/lowering the antenna a few inches to see if that improves RF 24. Did you aim the antenna with a compass? If so, did you try any additional aim tweaking? Are you using a separate antenna for ABC 7?
Old 16-Nov-2010, 1:09 PM   #6
jp2code
Ctrl+Alt+Delete

The Accessories on the Antennas Direct 91XG site show a Mast Extension, but I can't find this middle section. Where did you get yours from?

I'm not using a separate antenna for ABC 7, but Channel 7 is strong enough I could set a bare coax wire up there and pick it up. Even though the 91XG is only a UHF antenna, Channel 7 is one of my most reliable signals.

I did aim my antenna with a compass, my old Marine Corps compass, in fact, that includes a very helpful aiming mechanism.

Old 16-Nov-2010, 1:37 PM   #7
No static at all

You will have to call customer service to order the extension. I would still try aiming tweaks even though a compass was used. I helped a guy this weekend that aimed with a compass & additional tweaking proved beneficial in maximizing reception.
Old 16-Nov-2010, 3:30 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
The TV FOOL report shows sufficient signal strength at your location for reliable reception of RF 24.
You're missing more than 20 db of signal level on PBS. That suggests a problem with the antenna, aiming, preamp, or wiring.

When you used the compass, did you place the reflector wings toward the rear of the antenna, (facing away from the station)?
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2010, 5:37 PM   #9
jp2code
Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Yes, the reflector is at the back.
Old 16-Nov-2010, 5:55 PM   #10
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I have to think that you are swamping that preamp with signal: you have too many strong local stations to be using a Titan 7777: that preamp is really meant for weak signal areas.

Also, you didn't mention using a rotator: I have to think that you would want one to fine-tune the system: sometimes aiming in a slightly different direction will help your reception by quite a bit.

if you are going to try bypassing the preamp and splitter to determine fault, you will need to bypass the preamp on the roof, not just unplug the power supply,which will attenuate all of your TV signals.

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 16-Nov-2010 at 6:00 PM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2010, 6:13 PM   #11
jp2code
Ctrl+Alt+Delete

I've tried running the system by going around the pre-amp, but I only pick up 1 or 2 stations that "pixel out" with that setup.

I'll try bypassing the splitter this weekend. It's too dark to see when I get home at this time of year (Darned seasons!).