TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Oct-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
kenteasdale

Assistance trouble shooting

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae67a5278c5e

I have an RCA 751 antenna I just installed in the attic - VERY cramped up there. Of the channels I should get with a set top or attic mounted antenna I get all but the following:

Not recognized by tuner: WOPX, WPKB, WDYB
Recognized but no signal lock: WUCF, WOFL virtual channel 23.1
Appears to be greatly affected by atmospheric conditions: WESH

Will a booster cure most of these issues? The WOFL and WESH channel issues are the two I'd like most to resolve. Any advice on the best booster for the least amount of funds?

Thanks in advance!
-Ken
kenteasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2013, 5:59 PM   #2
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

The provided Tvfool says , resolved to block level only.

The provided Tvfool report is showing that the Tv reception is LOS=Line Of Sight , the best type and kind of reception.

The provided Tvfool report is also showing that the signal strengths are ver strong signal strengths , the best type and kind of reception.

--->As always , attics Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.<---

Multi-path reflections signals bouncing around in the attic Are Not Good for reception.

Interference generating devices that are in and close to the attic Are Not Good for reception.

The signal strengths are Strong at your location , amplifier Will Make reception Worse in the attic , a amplifier will make multi-path reflections stronger and make the interference stronger , this is not good for reception.

If antenna aiming and location in the attic not do improve reception then move the ANT751 antenna to above the roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , interfering , blocking , reception in the directions of , South West , West , North West.

Above the roof aim the ANT751 antenna at about 226 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas, www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

The provided Tvfool report at the block level of resolution is showing that the reception is Strong signal strength at your location.

A amplifier is not required for , 1 , 2 , 3 , Tv's connected.
Old 28-Oct-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
kenteasdale

Thank you for the info! For my own education, could you explain the logic used to arrive at the 226 degrees magnetic heading suggested in your post?

Thanks!
-Ken
kenteasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

The Tvfool Current Plus Pending Applications Included radar report and channel list is showing that of the receivable Tv stations in the Green reception zone , WFTV channel 20 ABC is weak'est signal strength so I recommend aim the antenna at WFTV.

The Strong signal strength Tv stations will be received.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim can be adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some Digital Tv's also have a signal quality meter.

Last edited by teleview; 29-Oct-2013 at 4:36 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Oct-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your main stations are ALL located in Bithlo, unless you want to chase some of the off-the-wall LP stations, there's no point in aiming the antenna anywhere else.

Go look at your roofing material what's it made of? Metal or tile? Is there radiant barrier insulation installed?

Going outside and facing towards Bithlo, what does it look like? Larger buildings or trees in the signal path?

Most likely, you'll have to get the antenna out of the attic since such locations are too often unpredictable hellholes for reception.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Will a booster cure most of these issues?
Rather doubtful. Amplifiers AKA Boosters are only able to repeat what they receive. If the signal from the antenna is strong but of low quality, an amplifier may actually make your problems worse by distorting the signal even more. Amplifiers can only 'push' signal through cable and splitter loss. Amplifiers can not and do not 'pull' signal from the cable, antenna or air.

The signals are predicted to be strong & easy to receive. If you aren't getting good results in the attic, ADTech's colorful assessment of the attic as an antenna site fits your case.

Test reception outside, clear of obstructions such as trees and buildings (including your house). http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote