TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Nov-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
poppin_fresh

Towers on the same mountain, but I dont see them all

Hi all,
I'm new to this whole thing and am looking to do OTA to supplement streaming services so I can ditch Direct. Based on some research I bought a Antennas Direct DB4e. The antenna is mounted on an old dish mount that is about 30ft up on the chimney. It's in the "crotch" between the chimney and the peak of the roof, but is not obstructed in its view towards the towers other than our normal hilly terrain.

Here is my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6f1e275019

I currently get 5.1, 33.1 and 44.1 which is about 8 total channels and they are all perfectly clear. I would really like to get the CBS and ABC feeds as well. All of these channels are broadcast from the same mountain top 26 miles away. Any theories why I cant see them all?

In messing around before climbing on the roof I had the antenna standing up on my porch railing and was able to see the CBS feed (but not much else). I figured if anything, putting it up higher would only make it better....

thanks,
Jon
poppin_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Nov-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppin_fresh View Post
Any theories why I cant see them all?
I'm not one of the gurus here, but what stands right out is that you're trying to receive ABC on real 13, which is h-vhf, with a uhf antenna. I think you're asking too much of the DB4e.

As to CBS on real 22, I have no clue, especially since you can get other uhf channels with much lower noise margins.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Nov-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

WVNY will require a VHF antenna which the DB4e is not. You might get by with a simple VHF rod element from a C2V (email us at info (at) antennasdirect.com for tip sheet) but it is highly probably that a more substantial VHF antenna such as the ClearStream 5 or even larger will be required.

Very hilly terrain usually requires patience and persistence in selecting an antenna mounting location. Because the mode of reception relies on signal diffraction (bending over the terrain) and different frequencies bend different amounts, it is usually necessary to try various antenna locations and heights to see if one can be found where the signals cooperate. A common assumption among customers is to assume that a spot that's convenient and "looks good" is going to work perfectly is too often overly optimistic.

UHF reception in 2-edge situations can vary tremendously by moving the antenna as little as 6-12" in any direction. You'll need to work with the antenna's location to see if you can find that "sweet spot" where everything comes together.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Nov-2013, 3:15 PM   #4
teleview

Pratical and Useful information.

WVNY-DT , REAL channel 13.1 , virtual number (22.1) , ABC .

Is being transmitted and received on REAL channel VHF high band channel 13 .

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVNY

--------

To receive channel 13 , install a VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna.

Install a Antennas Direct , C5 antenna.

The C5 antenna comes with a combiner to combine the C5 and DB4e antenna on to 1 coax.

---------

Also install a Winegard , LNA-200 'Boost' XT , antenna system amplifier.

-----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the HFS splitters at , www.solidsignal.com .

---------

Here is chimney antenna mount , www.ronard.com/ychim.html .

Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , by typing , ronard(x) , in the solidsignal search box or buy from , www.ronard.com .
----------

Separate the 2 antennas on the same mast by about 3 feet.

Put the DB4e below and the C5 above , on the same mast.

---------

Aim both antennas at about 348 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 6-Nov-2013 at 6:44 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 6-Nov-2013, 4:54 PM   #5
poppin_fresh

Thanks all.

Getting ABC isn't my top priority, but CBS definitely is. I will try moving the antenna some more to see what happens. I think my first task will be to move it to a location I can reach with my 28ft ladder.

Going up and down my 8/12 pitch roof repeatedly is frightening....
poppin_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Nov-2013, 5:56 PM   #6
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

Here are more antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Install the , ronard(911) . 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Install the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , by typing , ronard(x) , in the solidsignal search box or buy from , www.ronard.com .

-------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com