TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Oct-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Ste4en

Help with Antenna & equipment selection

this is my report :

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae509bd95a93

I have to install in my loft. 25-30ft high. Some trees around the house but quickly opens up onto a golf course fairway.

Will need to distribute to connect to three tv's.

Sorry if this posts twice, i tried to post this morning but it isn't showing up anywhere.

Thank You

Steve
Ste4en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2013, 1:02 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Consider the Terk HDTVi (not the same as the HDTVa) if you are limited to an indoor antenna.

If you have the space for an outdoor type (inside or out), consider the RCA ANT-751R or even an Antennacraft HBU series model. http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasHBU.html

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2013, 2:52 AM   #3
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

The main group of Tv stations are to the , South / South West.

Reception will be improved with the HDTVi antenna in/at a South / South West window or patio - balcony window.

Aim the antenna at about 180 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Old 30-Oct-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
Ste4en

Thanks I am going to go with the RCA ANT-751R. Price looks good on Amazon.
Old 30-Oct-2013, 1:07 AM   #5
Ste4en

one last question on reading up on the antenna it says designed for small places. Just to clarify I have a huge attic no space limitations. Is this still the test option?
Old 30-Oct-2013, 3:19 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

We can't predict how much impairment the attic construction will cause. If you have space for the Antennacraft HBU-33, HBU-44 or a Winegard HD7694P you may find the added gain could offer more reliable reception.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Oct-2013, 3:37 AM   #7
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

As Always , attics and the inside of buildings Is/Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

--------

Can reliable reception happen in the attic and insides of buildings??

Yes reliable reception can happen.

However that does not mean that attics and the inside of buildings are a reception frindley environment.

If reception issues happen inside the attic and inside of building that are not resolvable with antenna aim and location adjustments then move the antenna to above the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , in the directions of reception.

Last edited by teleview; 30-Oct-2013 at 8:33 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 2-Nov-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Ste4en

I bought and installed a Winegard HD7694P. connecting locally to one TV works great, I am getting all of the local channels with a rough direction setting, I will trim it later.

So I disconnected the cable that connects the Direct TV to the basement for distribution around the house and connected the antenna to it. So I think I should have the OTA signal in the basement. However using a Sv-2g 2-way Splitter 5-1000mhz I found, nothing seems to get that signal back up to the TV that worked in the first place. Do I need a special splitter to do this. The splitter i am using is : http://www.amazon.com/Sv-2g-2-way-Sp.../dp/B003TH36CK

I also have a channelmaster amplifier 0747 if that would help.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Ste4en; 2-Nov-2013 at 1:13 AM.
Old 2-Nov-2013, 2:57 AM   #9
teleview

Disconnect and Remove and Discard ALL passive and active satellite system components such as and not limited to , multi-switches , multi-plexers , splitters , couplers , satellite receivers , amplifiers , power injectors , power supplies , and etc. .

Yes the satellite system coaxes and other coaxes that in/on the building can be used for the antenna system.

To test the coaxes and connections , use a , inline coax coupler , that is used to connect coaxes together to make the lengths of coaxes longer.

Use a known to be good continues length of coax as a test coax.

If the signal goes from the antenna to the Tv through the test coax but not through the coax that you think goes from point A to point B , Check the coax that you think goes from point A to point B.

You are using the continues length of coax as a test jumper.

Just because you think a coax goes from point A to point B , does not mean the the coax goes from point A to point B , or goes from point A to point B with no problems.

--------

As near as I can tell , looking at the picture of the splitter it looks like a simple 2 way splitter and that is ok.

Last edited by teleview; 4-Nov-2013 at 4:05 AM. Reason: Clarify Information and Typos.
Old 3-Nov-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Ste4en

Thanks...I bought a Klein tester and found something wrong with the Coax to the room I was trying it in, bad luck trying that room first. Works fine everywhere else. Only issue now is my FOX is a little pixelated, now and then, so i am going to try and reposition the antenna to a higher place in the attic. Other than that all is well. Will buy a Tivo today and cancel Direct TV tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 3-Nov-2013, 5:51 PM   #11
teleview

Tivo's have known issues with Broadcast Tv reception that is less then perfect.

----> All Broadcast Tv Reception is Less Then Perfect.<----

Tivo's tuners do not do well with Multi-Path signals bouncing all around.

Attics are loaded with multi-path signals bouncing all around.
Old 3-Nov-2013, 7:11 PM   #12
Ste4en

I'll wait then until i get a good reliable signal at least. I have moved the antenna around and up and down to try and improve Fox but i can't do any better...restricted to what I can mount it on. Seems like i will have to build something else. Do you have any advice on where best it would be located. maybe a dumb question but I have wood frame, roof boards, a few steel ties, air conditioning flex and solid ducting and beams and drywall ceilings below. Do i need to try for the most open area or the nearest place to the southern roof face (i am pointing the antenna to the south.
Old 3-Nov-2013, 8:52 PM   #13
Ste4en

Just so happens in discussion today found somebody within 2 miles from my house - I ran their address report is here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae1bf675fa03. He is using aChannel Master CM 4228 8-bay HDTV/UH; all channels receiving well. Would this have an advantage over my Winegard HD7694P ?