TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Oct-2013, 6:25 PM   #1
jdj

Help improving reception

Hello fellow TV Foolers-

I'm a new Fooler and new to OTA. I recently purchased a HDB8X from Solid Signal (based on Mr Higgins testing) and installed it in my attic with decent results. I'm hoping with a little advice and tweaking I may be able to get some stations that I am currently unable to get.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae5e8da9e7b1

Currently I have the antenna pointed at 190ish degrees Azimuth in my attic with both panels set parallel. I am able to recieve 19 and 20 (as well as a handful of stations broadcasting from other directions) but I am specifically hoping to get 30 and 31 (it is the World Series and I'm in Sox territory...) I am not particularaly interested in non-UHF stations or stations in other directions.

The sight lines at 190 are pretty clear in my yard but there are some trees 500 or so yards out. I also am using a 100' coaxial cable currently for testing (I know it has some inherent loss although I don't know how much) which I plan to shorten once I find the final resting place.

Strangely I tried putting the antenna out a 2nd story south facing window pointing at 190 and had much worse reception (fewer channels) than in the attic. There was probably 8' less in elevation and anything coming into the back of the antenna was blocked by the house.

I would imagine outside above the roof should be better although I'd leave it in the attic if I can squeeze a couple of DBs out of a preamp.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

J
jdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2013, 6:35 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your odds will improve tremendously if you simply get the attic out of the attic and put it up in the air where the signals can get to it.

Be prepared to try different locations and heights. Don't drill any holes until you've established a sound location.

Adding a medium gain pre-amp is also recommended.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 29-Oct-2013 at 6:37 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2013, 6:56 PM   #3
jdj

Thanks ADtech.

My thoughts as well - but I'm a bit confused as to why my results didn't improve when I put it out of the 2nd story window. I would have thought the roof would have blocked out more than the 8' lower would have degraded the signal outside my window...
Old 29-Oct-2013, 7:20 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

A metal window frame or flashing around the window could produce noticeable impairments. Follow ADTech's suggestions... Antennas do better with clear and unobstructed mounting.

The RCA TVPRAMP1R is an inexpensive, but remarkably capable preamp to consider.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2013, 7:54 PM   #5
jdj

Many thanks - and sorry for the double post. For some reason the first thread didn't take but then showed up hours later...
Old 30-Oct-2013, 1:47 AM   #6
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

Above the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , North East and West , Install a Antennas Direct C5 VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna aimed at about 40 degree magnetic compass direction.

-----------

The C5 comes with a VHF/UHF combiner to combine the C5 VHF high band antenna and HDB8x UHF band antennas on to one coax.

--------

Install the HDB8x antenna above the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , North East , West , South West.

Aim the HDB8x antenna at about 225 degree magnetic compass direction.

-----------

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antennas.

-----------

Install a Channel Master CM7778 preamp to the output of the combiner so that both antennas are amplified.

-----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the HFS splitters at , www.solidsignal.com .

----------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , by typing , ronard(x) in the solidsignal search box , or , buy from , www.ronard.com :

----------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.channelmasterstore.com

www.ronard.com

Last edited by teleview; 4-Nov-2013 at 5:26 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 30-Oct-2013, 3:45 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Just to clarify, the CS5 won't aid the reception of real CH-30 or CH-31.

The OP's specific statement, "I am specifically hoping to get 30 and 31 (it is the World Series and I'm in Sox territory...) I am not particularaly interested in non-UHF stations or stations in other directions." seems pretty definite.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Oct-2013, 7:54 AM   #8
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

Yes it is good to have more pratical and useful information for reference of reception options.

And other pratical and useful information about Tv reception.
Old 2-Nov-2013, 4:51 PM   #9
jdj

Thanks to you all for the assistance. I went with the RCA preamp which did improve reception from not at all on real 30 and 31 to more-often-than-not. I still need to move the antenna outdoors which should solve most of the intermittent dropouts (I hope).

Your time is greatly appreciated!

-J