TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Oct-2013, 1:48 AM   #1
scootermcb

Need help selecting an antenna

Hello! I am located in Southern CT (Hamden, CT). I am looking to cut the cord from Dish (I am so tired of paying ~$80 for crappy reception, forced upgrade tactics, and rude customer service). I need some help selecting a better antenna.
I currently hooked up a Clearstream CSM-1 indoor antenna to my HDTV on the norternmost side of the house in the second floor window (it's behind a screen, which probably blocking some of the signals). I get WTNH-DT 1,2 and 3, WEDY-DT 1,2 and 3, and sometimes I get WFTY-DT and WXTV-DT (amazingly, as they are quite distant). As the last two stations are Spanish speaking stations, I don't really care about getting them (I don't speak Spanish).
Here is my TVFool Signal Analysis report.
I also would like to include these reports 1 2
Obviously, I would like to get as many channels as possible. Here is a list of what I really need:
WCTX-DT
WEDY-DT
WTNH_DT 1
WVIT-DT
WFSB and/or WTIC
I would also really like to get:
WCCT-TV
WZME
WTBY
and any others possible.
My biggest challenge is terrain. I am in a valley, and the western sphere is blocked by a very long, high ridge (over 500 feet) that curves from almost due south, at a distance of 2-3 miles to just east of north at a distance of 8-9 miles. To the east, there is another series of ridges >50o feet high. WVIT, WFSB and WTIC are around 50 miles away (as the crow flies). There are a lot of terrain obstructions, and a tower is out of the question. Maximum height for the antenna (I can mount it outside) would be <30 feet. The house is a Cape, <50 feet above sea level, facing east by south (92.81 deg.). The antenna would be on the southernmost side of the house (at the peak of the roof ridge) mounted on a short mast. Utility connections are near the opposite peak, preventing the mounting of the antenna on the northernmost peak of the roof ridge).Cable run length would be approximately 35 feet to TV 1 (currently an older NTSC SDTV with a TR-40 CRA converter) and approximately 75 feet to the HDTV.
I am looking for the following suggestions:
What is the best onmidirectional antenna(s) I could use?
What is the best directional antenna(s) I could use? (I would prefer not to have to rotate an antenna, but realize it's probably necessary for the best reception/number of channels. However, both TVs will be in use at the same time quite often, on different channels.)
Should I split the cable off at TV 1, then run to TV 2, or split the cable at the antenna and run them seperately? (Again, both TVs will be often used at the same time, on different channels.)
Just to make it even more intersting, I might even hook up another TV (another older NTSC SDTV with an RCA DTA800B1 converter) but I may just leave that on the original Clearstream antenna;if not,and I hook it into a new system, only 2 tvs would be on at one time, as this TV is in my bedroom.
What is your opinion of multiple (ganged) antennas? Is there a way to automatically determine properly-oriented antenna for the signal source?
What, if any, amps or pre-amps are necessary and which do you recommend?
Lastly, is either of the converter boxes better than the other one (as far as reception, not features)?
I would appreciate as many options/opinions as I could get. Thanks!

Last edited by scootermcb; 21-Oct-2013 at 6:28 AM. Reason: added even more information :)
scootermcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2013, 6:37 PM   #2
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , North East , East , South East , South , South West , West , North West , North.

Install a Winegard HD7694P antenna aimed at about 45 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

---------------------

Install a Winegard , LNA-200 'Boost' XT amplifier.

-------------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the HFS splitters at , www.solidsignal.com

-----------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.winegarddirect.com

------------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html .
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , romard(4560) eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2213) , ronard(2219) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , or , www.ronard.com .

-----------------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv Stations Channels , often named the , DTV Channels ~ Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select , DTV Channels ~ 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

-----------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv reception

Multi-path reflections signals bouncing around.

Absorbing , Blocking , Broadcast Tv reception.

The Best Pratice is to install the antenna at a location that has the lest amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including the roof and building and other obstructions.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Oct-2013 at 7:07 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 23-Oct-2013, 5:17 AM   #3
scootermcb

Thanks for the suggestions teleview! I really appreciate it. I really like your suggestion on the Winegard amplifier: definitely a high quality piece of equipment! Looking at the specs on the Winegard HD7694P, I am wondering if maybe I need something better. Looking at the specs, the HD7694P only has a range of 35 miles VHF/25 miles UHF. The stations I would like to receive (see my original post for the list) are ~50 miles away. I did a little more looking around, and I'm wondering about the performance of some of the other antennas (there certainly are a lot available!) such as the Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB8X, which has a 60+ mile UHF/25 Mile High Band VHF range (which is reduced by pointing each side in different directions; I will probably use it in this setup) or the AntennasDirect DB8e, which has a 70+ mile range (UHF only-which is fine by me. I also assume that the range is dereased by pointing it in different directions, but that is not stated on the website), as well as Antennas Direct ClearStream 4 (C4-CJM).
Do you have any experience with the Winegard HD7694P or any of the antennas I mentioned? Realizing that what works for one may not work for another, I am open to hearing any suggestions. See my original post for those channels I'd really like to get, but I'm in search of as many channels as possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by scootermcb; 23-Oct-2013 at 3:45 PM. Reason: corrected typos
Old 23-Oct-2013, 7:40 PM   #4
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

As always , mileage numbers are a broad generaliation that is for the general pubilic as a general guide.

My recommendations are based on several factors.

The strength of the Tv reception at the location of reception.

The directions of the transmitters and how strong or weak the signals are in different directions.

Distance to the transmitters.

Obstructions between the transmitters and receiving antenna.

The channels that are to be received.

What antenna or antennas will best receive the Tv signals.

The HD7694P Type and Kind of antenna is a directional antenna that receives the best in the forward direction , a little less at forward angles to the antenna and less at back angles and back of the antenna.

The HD7694P antenna is a small directional antenna so it is less directional then a big directional antenna.

A small directional antenna of the HD7694P Type and Kind of antenna is indicated for reception at your location because the Tv transmitters are different directions at your location.

It is a balance of forward gain of the antenna and the ability of the antenna to receive at angles to the antenna.

Directional antennas receive the least amount of signal directly on the sides of the directional antenna.

If you look at the directions of the transmitters and the recommended starting antenna aim direction you will see that aim direction is a compromise aim direction to receive the transmitters at about 28 degree magnetic compass direction and the ION station WHPX at 97 degree magnetic compass direction and at the same time including the Tv transmitters at other directions/angles to the HD7694P antenna.

--------------------

The Panel Type and Kind of Antennas that your suggesting are more directional then the HD7694P Type and Kind of antenna.

A type and kind of antenna that is More Directional and receives less at angles to the antenna will receive less signal from the transmitters that are at angles to the Panel type antenna.

---------

This My evaluation and recommendation for receiving the most Tv stations/channels with 1 antenna aimed in 1 direction and no antenna rotator.

------------------

Other people will have other evaluations.

-----------------

As always you are free to evaluate and choose the antenna that you choose.

-----------------

Last edited by teleview; 24-Oct-2013 at 5:03 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 24-Oct-2013, 1:30 AM   #5
scootermcb

Thanks! Now I understand your recommendations, and they make perfectly good sense! Thank you for your time, knowledge, and above all, your patience! Time for me to start shopping....I'll post a report on the performance once I've purchased the equipment and gotten it up and running.
Interesting note: by placing my Clearstream antenna outside of the window, and lifting up the screen (moving it out about 2 inches from it's original position) I now receive WCTX-TV very well. My guess is that the screen was absorbing some of the signal.
Old 31-Oct-2013, 2:35 AM   #6
scootermcb

Update: Got the Winegard LNA-200 amplifier and split the cable using 2 2way splitters (it was something I had on hand, and the way my house is wired I needed to do it this way). Haven't gotten the antenna yet (money is a little tight) but since I bought the amplifier I wated to try it with the Clearstream CSM-1 I originally had. Results were better-I now get 14 channels (WCBS-HD, CBSNY+, WFSB, WFSB-3, WFSB-4, WTNH-DT, Bounce, WTNHSD, WVIT-HD, COZI-TV, WLNY-DT, WCTX-DT, WEDY-1, WEDY-2, WEDY-3, WFTY-DT,WXTV-DT), but the signal is weak-very weak on the following:WLNY, WEDY 1.2.3 (seems like I can only get them in the morning) and the sound rarely comes through on WTNHSD (it shows the exact same programming as WTNH-DT so it's not really a problem). Also, the following stations occasionally drop out (They are also usually better in the morning: WCBS-HD, CBSNY+, WFSB, WFSB-3, WFSB-4. I assume this to be due to the small, highly directional antenna.
I'm fairly impressed with the performance of the CSM-1 antenna. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to pay the full retail price for it (I got it for free) but for someone in a better reception area I certainly would recommend it. I still plan on getting the Winegard HD7694P when finances allow. I do have a few questions though.
Can I improve my reception at all (besides moving the antenna) with what I have? I would like to shorten the cable lengths a bit (I used pre-assembled lengths I had on hand). The cables are older. Is there a better type of cable (RG-6, RG-59, or others) for my application? The cable runs are no greater than 100 feet. Because of the way the antenna is located, I have my cable runs/splitters configured as follows:
Main cable from antenna to amplifier 5 foot
Amplifier to power source for amplifier 6 inches
Power amplifier to splitter 1 6 inches
Splitter line 1 to RCA DTA800B1 converter 2 feet
Converter to TV 1 (upstairs) 3 feet
Splitter line 2 to splitter 2 75 feet
Splitter 2 line 1 to DTV 20 feet
Splitter 2 to TR 40 CRA 30 feet
Converter to TV2 3 feet
The splitters are nothing special, just what I had had on hand from previous cable and/or satellite installations. The converters work well....the TR40 CRA does have an advantage of having a channel guide, whereas the RCA DTA800B1 does not. The RCA unit seems to be slightly better at picking up the weak stations, though - but the difference there is almost insignificant. Both units outperformed the digital tuner on my HDTV.
I will post up any changes. Please let me know what you think.
Old 1-Nov-2013, 5:31 AM   #7
teleview

Please do not recommend the CSM-1 to any one , it is a small UHF channels 14 thru 51 antenna. That does not do a good job of receiving the VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.
And does not do a good job of receiving the VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 .

A better - indoor type antenna - is the Terk HDTVi antenna.

----> No I am not recommending that you buy a HDTVi antenna <----

--------------

To improve reception with the antenna that you have.

You can put the CSM-1 antenna above the roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , North , North East , East , South East , South , West .

Put the antenna Up Inside a up side down plastic bucket , to keep the rain and weather off of the CSM-1 indoor type antenna.

You can figure a way to install the antenna in the plastic bucket , on or above the roof.

One idea is to fasten to the top of a chimney.

If the top of the chimney is the place where the antenna is at then make sure that hot gasses that come out of a chimney can not get to the antenna and bucket , hot heat that comes out of a chimney is not good for the antenna and bucket.

For best reception the antenna must be upright , as it would be if standing on something inside the house.

-----------

RG-6 is the best to use , however RG-59 will work ok.

If buying new coax , only buy RG-6 coax for long coax runs , and is best to use RG-6 for short runs.

Short coax jumpers , is ok to use , 6 or 59 .

Last edited by teleview; 2-Nov-2013 at 9:05 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.