TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Oct-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Coax

Thank you

This is my first post. Wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the help I have received reading the other post on this forum and to share my results. My satellite TV seemed way to expensive for the picture quality, the few channels that we watched, and the way the signal would be completely lost with any wind or rain. My location did look like it would be difficult for a antenna and antennaweb seemed to confirm that, showing only KRBK being available. Using tvfool.com things looked a little more encouraging.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeb392013e5e

Still, looking at 143 degrees all I see is large trees with a lot of leaves and rising terrain. Had to trim some branches to get it up, but using a Winegard HD7694P I now have a much better picture than I ever did with satellite. The tvfool report did a much better job of predicting what could be received than antennaweb and the rain seems to have no affect except on the weaker stations. Hasn't been much wind yet but I am not expecting any trouble unless a tree limb hits it. I am receiving 11 stations.

............. CH.......Virt........dB
KYTV...... 44..........3........30.4
KOLR.......10........10........32
K17FU......17........17........15.6
KOZK.......23....... 21........28
KOZL.......28........27........30.4
KSPR.......19........33........32.8
KRBK.......49........49........21.2

I know that's only seven stations, but some are broadcasting two or more programs. KOZK has 21-1, 21-2, and 21-3.

I am thinking another antenna pointed at 58 degrees may be needed to get a stronger signal from KRBK, assuming it is the one that is less than seven miles away? I will also try raising the antenna already in use to get a stronger signal on K17FU and KOZK. It currently is only about five feet above the roof. No problem if that doesn't work. I still have a much better picture and the signal seems to be much more reliable than I ever had with satellite, and way less expensive. Just have to figure out a way to get A&E?
Coax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Oct-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Krbk operates 5 tranmitters, all on UHF channel 49. You'd to best to try the various directions to see which one gives you the best results, then use that as a basis of your planning.

Here's a map of their transmitters: http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1495755

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Oct-2013, 3:02 AM   #3
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

A higher antenna height will most likely help reception.

Directional antennas receive the best at the front of the antenna and then to lesser degree at front angles to the antenna and then back angles to the antenna and then the back of the antenna.

Directional antennas receive the least amount of signal directly on the sides of the antenna.

Adjust the HD7694P antenna so the channel 49 transmitter at 56 degree magnetic compass direction is more at a back angle to the antenna.

----------------

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

Last edited by teleview; 15-Oct-2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 27-Oct-2013, 8:32 PM   #4
Coax

Thanks for the advice and information ADTech and teleview. Raising the antenna resulted in stronger signals for all the towers to the southeast except for K17FU. Tweaking the antenna left and right of 143 degrees to get the strongest signal indication on the stronger transmitters resulted in K17FU no longer even hinting that it is there. I don't know if that is the result of the directional nature of the antenna or if its the result of putting the antenna deeper into the trees? Maybe when the leaves are gone performance will improve? No improvement on ch 49, although by rotating the antenna it appears that the transmitter at approximately 7 miles is the best signal.

Appreciate the information about signal strength in relation to the angle it hits the antenna, Teleview. So the ch 49 transmitter, being 90 degrees to the current antenna position, is in the best position to provide the weakest signal possible. Are you saying the best antenna position for Ch 49 is so that the signal hits the antenna from a back angle, or does that provide the best chance of getting an acceptable signal from channel 49 while still receiving the channels to southeast with the same antenna? I am thinking about using a Antennas Direct 42XG UHF HD TV Antenna for picking up ch 49.
Coax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2013, 9:24 PM   #5
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

Directional antennas receive the best at the front of the antenna.

Less at front angles to the antenna.

Less at back angles to the antenna.

Less at the back of the antenna.

Directional antennas receive the Least amount of signal on/at the sides of the antenna.

If a directional antenna is turned so either side is directed at/toward the transmitter then the least amount of signal will be received because directional antennas receive the least amount directly on the sides of the antenna.
Old 28-Oct-2013, 1:50 PM   #6
teleview

Pratical and Useful Infomation.

Strong Tv signal strength Tv signals are strong signal strength.

So no requirement to optimize the strong signals.

The game is to optimize the weak signals with antenna adjustments and not lose reception of other Tv stations/channels that you will like to receive.
Old 31-Oct-2013, 5:13 AM   #7
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

I do not recall what you are using for a amplifier.

Try the Winegard , LNA-200 'Boost' XT amplifier.

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.winegarddirect.com

------------

The Tvfool report says resolved to block level only.

A accurate location Tvfool report would be nice to evaluate.

Please make and post 2 more Tvfool reports at 25 and 40 feet above ground.

Use exact address to make reports.

If exact address does not work , then go to Tvfool home page and click on >>Start MAPS<< .

Move the pointer to your exact location , enter antenna height and click on , Make Radar Map .

Last edited by teleview; 31-Oct-2013 at 6:13 AM. Reason: Clarify Information and typos.