TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Oct-2013, 3:56 AM   #1
swiftbow

Antenna advice: Santa Fe

Hi Folks,

Hope I can get some advice on a recommended antenna for my home in S.F. New Mexico. I have somewhat clear sight of the broadcasting transmitters on SandiaPeak overlooking Albq; however, I have a bit of a dilemma. My home is a two story but the home next to me is bigger with a roof line I'll estimate at about 5 feet taller then mine. I have a section on my roof that looking at the compass recommendation of 210 deg, I believe I can get a shot at the transmitters to just clear my neighbors house. However, I suspect this might cause somesort of disturbance with the reception and if so, is there a recommended antenna that might work better then others for this type of situation?

Also, I experimented with simple rabbit ears on one of the tv's on the upper floor and got absolutely nothing. The neighbors house is definitely a barrier.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aea189bd92ca
swiftbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2013, 4:31 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Despite the obstruction, you should be seeing many signals. Did you set the tuner to 'antenna' or 'air' mode, then perform a full channel scan?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2013, 5:03 AM   #3
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

The Digital Tv Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels in the Digital Tv Setup Menu , often named the , DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ Antenna Channels , in the Digital Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Also Do Not channel scan for only Analog Broadcast Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select , DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ Antenna Channels.

------------------

The Tv reception is Strong Signal Strength at your location.

Even with the obstruction , several Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels should be received with indoor antenna.

---------------

For a outdoor type antenna use a ANT751 antenna aimed at about 250 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

-----------------

Receive the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

Known as the ATSC Broadcast Tv Channels , aka , 8VSB Digital Tv signal.

------------------

What are Make and Model Numbers of the Tv/s??

---------------------

Last edited by teleview; 23-Oct-2013 at 6:08 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 27-Oct-2013, 1:01 AM   #4
swiftbow

Thanks guys. You were right, didn't realize the tv had to be changed or even had a cable to air setting. I'm now getting reception for several channels.
Old 27-Oct-2013, 2:33 AM   #5
teleview

If you install the ANT751antenna.

Install the ANT751 antenna above the roof in such a manner that roof and house are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , South West , West , North West.

The Best Pratice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-path Reflections bouncing around

And so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Aim the ANT751 antenna at about 250 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.
Old 28-Oct-2013, 2:39 AM   #6
swiftbow

Thanks Teleview. I'll order the ANT751. You state to use a compass of 250deg, wouldn't it be 210?
Old 28-Oct-2013, 3:26 AM   #7
teleview

The Tvfool Current Plus Pending Applications Included Radar Report and Channel List shows receivable Tv stations to the , South West , West , North West,

The 250 degree magnetic compass direction is a in between aim direction for reception of the Tv stations.

Last edited by teleview; 28-Oct-2013 at 3:37 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Oct-2013, 1:19 AM   #8
swiftbow

Got it ... thanks!