TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Jun-2014, 5:55 AM   #1
mazr

Antenna help, please.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c67c9af84c45

Heres my report using this method: enter your address and click "Map This". Then click on "Satellite" at the top right, zoom in, and put the pointer right over your house. Change the antenna height from the default of "10" to "20". When the map updates click on "Make Radar Plot" on the top right. A new window will open. Post the link of the new window with the Radar Plot in this thread.

I currently have the Eagle Aspen EASDTV2BUHF. I had it hung on the 2nd level of the house pointing north, which was wrong. Reception was OK but not great.

Will this antenna work pointing the correct direction or should I go with something else? And what kind of mounting hardware do I need. Chimney mount or tripod is fine. I'll only be using this on 1 TV.

Thanks for the help in advance.
mazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jun-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings Mazr,

The EASDTV2BUHF should be quite capable of reliable reception for your Peoria locals. If pointed about 130 (SE) degrees per compass you should find your signal strength ought to improve nicely.

With this antenna, I imagine you are satisfied with your Peoria locals. You have a possibility of a few signals from Davenport. That will require a stronger antenna though. For this writing, I'll focus on your Peoria locals though.

How is your line of sight? Do you have trees surrounding your house? Do you have a fairly clear line of sight to the SE? If you have clear views, a low cost option would be a J pole mount installed on the eave of your roof. If you need more elevation and trees to contend with a chimney mount and stronger antenna may come into play.

First though some details about your outdoor reception situation will help us hone a recommendation even further.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 22-Jun-2014 at 11:48 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jun-2014, 3:00 PM   #3
mazr

Thanks for the reply, Stephanie. I have a fairly clear line of sight to the SE. When I had the antenna pointed north, it was maybe 15 feet off the ground and I got OK signals. If I hooked it up to the chimney pointing SE, it would be about 25 feet off the ground so I don't think the 2 trees would be an issue. Now my other question: my chimney is not an exposed one, it's covered with wood siding. Would the chimney straps work on that?
mazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jun-2014, 4:02 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

A Strap type chimney mount would be a good choice. You wouldn't have to be concerned with leaks around fasteners or finding a structural member to sink the fasteners in. I'd opt for stainless steel straps rather than galvanized... So I wouldn't have to worry about rust stains later.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html
http://www.3starinc.com/chimney_mounts_1.html

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote