TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Mar-2012, 5:32 AM   #1
latenightrob

complete noob here...with questions

I have a place in WV and am looking into OTA vs. Dish network. I really don't want the monthly bill for a tv I won't be watching all that much. I would like to catch some news and maybe some network stations if available. The place is about 2.5 hrs outside of Wash. DC, when I plug my information into tvfool it says "Address was only resolved to city level and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates." The location is on a small ridge above town so I figure I might get more channels then what was generated by tvfool?

Currently there is a direct TV dish set up but not in use. I was hoping to take that down and maybe mounting the ota antenna somehow. Anyone have any suggestions of what may work for my situation? Thanks in advance! Cheers!
latenightrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Mar-2012, 5:51 PM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Do as the other question askers do and Do This-> http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4 . As you have read at the other question askers posts that have not posted a tvfool radar report , you Need to post a tvfool radar report. Use the Exact Address to make the tvfool radar report and make the antenna height 25 feet. We Can Not help you with out the tvfool radar report. As some other question askers have done , Do Not take a picture of the tvfool radar report and post it. It will be dead and we will not be able to make much use of it. As the other question askers have done , the tvfool radar report must be live and active. Go to the other question askers posts and check it out.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Mar-2012, 5:54 PM   #3
Electron

Tvfool Generates A Report For Your Exact Location. Not somewhere close to your exact location or 10 miles away from your exact location. Enter in your Exact address. And make antenna height 25 feet. You can get tvfool radar report up on the computer screen , and then look at the address bar at the top of the computer screen , the address bar starts like this , http:// . Copy the address bar information in to box like this box , like you are providing information here. You can also click on the blue circle at the top of the information box like this box and put the address bar information in there.

Last edited by Electron; 4-Mar-2012 at 6:34 PM.
Old 4-Mar-2012, 6:23 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

It sounds as if you may have tried to enter an exact address...

Try using these tools (from Guidelines when asking for help):

The Interactive Maps can be found HERE.
A brief tutorial on the Interactive Maps is HERE.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Mar-2012, 7:00 PM   #5
latenightrob

Sorry I was at work when I posted my question and of course as soon as submitted the post I said "did I post my report" but I couldn't go back and look due to being my first post. lol

here is my report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86f980637606

Thanks again

ps. exact address isn't found, I am 2 miles from a main road.

Going back and adding a height of 25' changed my results here is that report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b869b798ed87e

Last edited by latenightrob; 4-Mar-2012 at 7:02 PM. Reason: add report with 25' antenna
Old 4-Mar-2012, 9:58 PM   #6
Electron

You can go to the , >>Start MAPS<< part of tvfool and move the pointer to your exact location and make a tvfool radar report that way. The first report is 10 feet antenna height and is to zip code level and the second report is 25 feet but is at the city level. There is a real difference in reception. Go to the >>Start MAPS<< part of tvfool and move the pointer to your location , make the antenna height 25 feet. How many Tv's are/will be connected??

Last edited by Electron; 4-Mar-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 5-Mar-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Electron

Well it looks like , with what there is to work with in the way of radar reports and being that your location is on a hill. I suspect that these digital stations/channels will be received , NBC , CBS , ABC , PBS , FOX , The CW , MyNetwork , This Tv , Bounce Tv , Radar Weather. Add to that all the internet streaming programing that can be received with ROKU or BOXEE and you are set.
Old 5-Mar-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
Dave Loudin

Unless you have extraordinary paths to DC, Harrisonburg, or Hagerstown, you will have to settle for the translators listed at the top of your report. These stations rebroadcast distant stations that would otherwise not be watchable. Electron listed the networks you will get. If you want all the details, go to rabbitears.info, click on the listings tab, then search for one of the translator call signs. You will see that you will get stations from different markets, such as Johnstown, PA, Morgantown, WV, and DC. A simple UHF antenna like an Antennas Direct DB2e would suffice.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2012, 2:35 AM   #9
latenightrob

I went back and took a look at my realtor's website and he actually had the gps coordinates to the cabin and here is the report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b8631161d0e54

Electron, I didn't do the start maps b/c I had the gps #s.

Dave, when I originally posted I wasn't aware of "rebroadcast stations" that's why I thought I had to reach DC, thanks for the info.

this is the antenna you would suggest http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...na-Bundle.html

looking on Amazon I stumbled on this one a Terk HDTVO, is this any good? http://www.amazon.com/Terk-HDTVO-Amp...0918407&sr=8-2

I am only looking to supply #1 TV.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 5-Mar-2012, 5:33 AM   #10
Electron

GPS and Latitude / Longitude are not the same. Here is converter , http://www.csgnetwork.com/gpscoordconv.html. I Strongly Recommend that you use the pointer at >>Start MAPS<<.

Last edited by Electron; 5-Mar-2012 at 6:34 AM.
Old 5-Mar-2012, 5:59 AM   #11
latenightrob

Sorry I used the wrong term by saying "gps" but I went and did the start maps way and it is the same bleak outlook.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b8664c24fa07b

So am I out of luck?
Old 5-Mar-2012, 6:23 AM   #12
Electron

If you are 100% sure that Start Maps location is correct then it is bleak at 25 feet , one maybe two tv stations. Post two more at 60 feet and 100 feet antenna height.

Last edited by Electron; 5-Mar-2012 at 6:31 AM.
Old 5-Mar-2012, 6:44 AM   #13
latenightrob

Here is the 60ft http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86e4392a1ad6

here is the 100ft http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86f6c561cd8c

Not looking good. I don't think my wife would want me to build anything to get broadcast tv. At the 25' height and only getting one or two channels what are my bleak options antenna wise?

thanks
Old 5-Mar-2012, 4:10 PM   #14
Dave Loudin

I was afraid that this would be the case. You are good and screwed as far as OTA reception goes. If it's any consolation, this is the prediction for my parents' house in the center of the state.

You can use the maps option at TVFool to show you where individual signals get blocked by your terrain. You can also click on each station in the table of your report to show the terrain profile used in the prediction from transmitter (on the left) to you (on the right).

Last edited by Dave Loudin; 5-Mar-2012 at 4:14 PM.
Old 5-Mar-2012, 8:48 PM   #15
Electron

Don't give up yet , the transmitters are very close at 11 or so miles , you are most likley on the wrong side of a hill/mountain. If you will send me a PM private message with your lattitude and longitude I will see what I can do to get you reception. Most likley a reflected signal

Last edited by Electron; 5-Mar-2012 at 9:49 PM.
Old 6-Mar-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
latenightrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Don't give up yet , the transmitters are very close at 11 or so miles , you are most likley on the wrong side of a hill/mountain. If you will send me a PM private message with your lattitude and longitude I will see what I can do to get you reception. Most likley a reflected signal

PM sent and thanks!
Old 6-Mar-2012, 6:50 PM   #17
Electron

With the rabbit ears W23DR-D UHF channel 23 PBS will likley be received. Aim the rabbit ears at about 48 degree magnetic compass , north east. Here is how to aim rabbit ears , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Put the rabbit ears antenna outside on the north side of the house about 10 feet or more above ground. Or can put the antenna above the high point of the roof. Also one or two channels might be received as a signal reflection off of Saw Mill Ridge to your west. I am working up a recommendation on how to get more channels using signal reflection. Remember the tv Must scan for Digital Broadcast tv channels , Not cable tv channels.

Last edited by Electron; 7-Mar-2012 at 6:05 AM.
Old 6-Mar-2012, 8:01 PM   #18
latenightrob

ok I will do that. let you know how it goes. thanks
Old 7-Mar-2012, 7:11 PM   #19
Dave Loudin

That one should be on the air. The other translators that initially looked good may not be, yet.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 8:58 PM   #20
latenightrob

Update, I tried using the rabbit ears and was unsuccessful picking up anything. What I didn't do was have a smaller tv to take upstairs out on my deck and try from that height. Next time I go, I plan to bring a little 19" to play with and I will report back. Seems like this is going to take a bit of time and I appreciate the help and your patients!
Rob