TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Jul-2012, 8:31 PM   #1
mattdc02

Ditching Satellite and Cable in Downtown San Jose, CA - need antenna suggestions

Hey All,

I recently found this site after my roomate foolishly bought an "indoor" antenna thinking we could use it to get the "local" KNTV network for the Olympics. Not the case, I've found out. Despite that KNTV's office is near my home, the broadcast comes from San Bruno Mountain, nearly 40 mi from my home.

Here is a link to my OTA report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9900899f72c247

I'm hoping to get an antenna that will get me most of the "yellow" channels on that list - especially KPIX and KNTV. Ideally, I'd like to keep it under $100 and mount it on a stand on my 2nd floor deck. I'm unsure if I can mount on my roof due to the fact that I rent. I am on the second floor of a Victorian.

I've had no problem getting the green channels with our current indoor antenna - a General Electric Viper.
mattdc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jul-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
signals unlimited

If your deck has a view from NW to North use a Terk HDTVo (un-amplified). If no NW view is possible, use a Terk HDTVi located at a North facing window.

With the HDTVi you will need to lower the VHF rods to be parallel with the floor and set the length to around 24 " end to end. Aim the antenna North.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jul-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
teleview

Tv Reception.

The main group of Tv stations/channels is to the north west at about 325 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The Tv -->Must Channel Scan for Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Do not buy the HDTVa amplified antenna , the Tv transmissions at your location are very strong and will overload the amplifier and be the cause of bad or no reception.

Here are are places to buy the HDTVi Non amplified antenna.

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

FRY's electronics.

Last edited by teleview; 31-Jul-2012 at 3:11 PM.
Old 31-Jul-2012, 6:51 AM   #4
mattdc02

I googled the HDTVo and cannot find it. My deck does have a clear view to the north but there are trees, another house, and an elevated portion of I-280 to the northwest.
Old 31-Jul-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
signals unlimited

Due to the blockage you could use a little more antenna. The RCA ANT751 will be a better choice. It will easily mount on that deck.
Old 4-Aug-2012, 9:40 PM   #6
mattdc02

I tried the ANT751 today and was able to get some of the yellow channels on my OTA (like KOFY-TV) but not KPIX or KNTV. I had the antenna mounted about one foot off of my roof clear of the house next door facing NNW. The only obstacle is a large tree that will obstruct any antenna. Any suggestions?
Old 5-Aug-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
signals unlimited

Do the missing channels come in when you scan and not play, or do they not even show up?
Old 5-Aug-2012, 3:42 PM   #8
teleview

Tv Reception.

Move the tree or move the antenna to a location that has the Least obstructions the direction to about 325 degree , north west.
Old 5-Aug-2012, 5:31 PM   #9
mattdc02

The channels did not show up the scan. I will try again to move the antenna around and see what else shows up. KOFY-TV reception came in quite well.