TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jan-2012, 5:47 PM   #1
silvercity

Help with antenna (Quebec)

Newbie here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb9e7723714b7

Currently using a DB2 antenna (on the side of the cabin...surrounded by trees) and receiving 2.001, 6.001, 10.001, 12.001, 15.001, 17.001, 24.001 but the signal strength is low. Sometimes we'll get 3.001 and 5.001.... Come spring we may install it on the roof... but for now....

Will changing the antenna to a 4 bow tie antenna, adding a rotor and a pre-amp help signal strength?

Do I need a multi-directional antenna? Was thinking of the CM 4221HD or the DB4 antennas? Not sure if these are multi-directional.

I believe the antennas I mentioned are only UHF antennas....do I need a combo UHF/VHF one instead?

Please help.

Thanks.
silvercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2012, 8:45 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

From what you describe, you're doing very well with your existing setup unless by "signal strength is low" you mean you're getting drop outs. Extra strength does not improve the picture quality but provides protection against pixellation and drop-outs. You're getting the complete Montreal market except for an independent station on 62.1 (RF 49), which just might be off-air for some reason. You do have two VHF stations, 10 that carries TVA and 12 that carries CTV, but the DB2 is catching them well enough. There's no point trying for any other Canadian stations, as they will carry duplicates of programming you already receive.

To improve the relaibility of the CBS and NBS stations, and have a shot at getting a PBS station from the US, you're going to need a lot bigger antenna.

To reliably raise the signal strength of what you receive now, you're going to have to graduate to an AntennaCraft HBU-33 or a Winegard HD7694P. If you want to go for the US stations, then a Winegard HD7698P would be required. In either case, you should aim the antenna due south.

As far as antenna height is concerned, since you already have LOS to Montreal, it's a matter of either shooting under or over the leaves. It appears that the height you're using now is OK. The trouble is, the antennas I've recommended won't easily mount to the side of the cabin. You could roof-mount (leaves in the way?) or mount to a pole driven into the ground.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
silvercity

Thanks for your reply.....

The Canadian channels get some pixellation (sometimes they are great for a few hours then they start losing pixellation...off and on) and the CBS/NBC channels get "digital signal low" most of the time...again they do work (but less than Canadian), quality is good but they do lose signal.

For the moment putting something on the roof (due to snow) is out of the question...so the main goal is to get better signal strength. Which is why I thought getting a DB4 plus a rotor and pre-amp would help. Would it? The cabin is used a few times a month and my friend (his cabin) is happy with the channels he gets...he just wants consistent signal strength. Getting 3 main english canadian channels (6,12,15) plus CBS/NBC would be enough. He once managed to get the PBS channels (33) and they were working for a few hours but hasn't been able to get them since.

I'll suggest he looks into the antennas you mentioned (for spring)...but for now...what could he do to get "better" signal strength? It would be attached to the side of the cabin like the DB2 is now.

Thanks.
Old 7-Jan-2012, 4:49 AM   #4
Dave Loudin

I stayed away from recommending the DB4 because it wouldn't be much better for the two VHF stations, and may be worse. It would improve reception of the Montreal stations but would not be enough to dig out CBS/NBC. Your call.

You certainly don't need a rotor, and a preamp only negates cable losses and will not dig out weak signals.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2012, 2:30 PM   #5
silvercity

Ok..I'll pass along the info. But for now...is there anything you could do to increase "signal strength" on any of the channels...maybe add something to the current DB2 antenna? Or should he just stick it out till the spring?