TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Sep-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
jebermi

cable cutter newbie needs antenna advice

Hey all. I ran the signal analysis for my location and am confused about the channels I'll get with the right antenna. It looks like channel 11 wluk, which is one I'd like, is a vhf channel? Will a uhf antenna pick this up? Everything else looks to be uhf although a couple stations I'm not familiar with don't say. Here's the report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03ba46af452f

I have a tall house and would prefer to put the antenna in the attic if possible. There's plenty of room for the largest antennas up there and I think I could even use a rotor if need be. The height there would be about 30' but the signal would have to pass through a brick exterior wall. I also have a base and pole still on the roof from years back that would afford me 40' of height.

Some of the stations appear to be repeats of others. No point in that. I'd like as many unique ones as possible. I looked at antennas and if I chose one it would just be a guess, probably a bad one at that. BTW, there's really no one in the business around here to ask any longer. I'd sure appreciate any advice or help. Thanks in advance.
jebermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2015, 2:09 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
It looks like channel 11 wluk, which is one I'd like, is a vhf channel?
WLUK is the only station in Green Bay that chose to stay on VHF.

Quote:
Will a uhf antenna pick this up?
Sometimes. It's pretty much impossible to predict accurately. It is usually best to PLAN for VHF reception rather than to rely on chance.

Quote:
but the signal would have to pass through a brick exterior wall.
Brick veneers often have a rebar support system hidden in there. The steel tends to do nasty things to incoming signals making a mounting location behind them questionable.

Is there any spot in your attic, based on your home's physical orientation, that offers a "view" through either a non-bricked dormer or only the roof deck in the direction of GB? If so, an attic install might work out.

Quote:
I also have a base and pole still on the roof from years back that would afford me 40' of height.
Probably a more desirable location as long as it doesn't cause the antenna, when aimed at Green Bay, to be facing point blank into a building, a big tree, or a forest.

No rotor is needed, Green Bay is your only required aiming direction.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2015, 2:36 PM   #3
jebermi

There is a spot in the attic directly below the tripod on the roof but would be quite a bit lower and would therefore have to go through a tree. The tripod and pole are above it.

So, the fact that wluk is vhf and the rest uhf, which antennas would work do you think? Thanks so much!
Old 19-Sep-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
jebermi

winegard hd8200u

Is this the right type of antenna for my situation? Is it overkill? My thinking is I could try it in the attic and if no good just put it up on rooftop. If still no good, get a preamp. Other suggestions?
Old 19-Sep-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
jebermi

fm analysis

Here's the link: http://www.fmfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Forgot to mention I would like an antenna that receives fm along with vhf-hi and uhf. According to this chart, is tv interference a possibility? Which preamp would filter this out?

Lots of questions, I know, but it would be nice to just have to buy once and be done with it. thanks again for any suggestions.
Old 19-Sep-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The FM Fool side of the site doesn't provide detail links, you have to provide the image of your display.

What specific FM stations are on your list for FM?

If you have strong and weak FM signals which are desired and weak TV signals that will require amplification. it is strongly recommended to use a separate antenna for FM, reject any FM from the TV antenna, then combine the signals into a common distribution network AFTER the amplifier does it's job for the TV signals. This will entail some increased complexity and may involve customized components.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 19-Sep-2015 at 12:23 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
jebermi

Ok. Let's forget about the fm then and concentrate on which tv antenna I need. I'll address the fm later.
Old 21-Sep-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
jebermi

Update please read

I'd still like advice on which antenna to buy but I think this is significant:
My wife came home with a terk hdtva antenna from a rummage sale Saturday. It's a small table top indoor type with rabbit ears and a uhf section and is amplified. Not a permanent solution obviously but it was free so what the heck. I put it behind the tv and scanned for channels figuring to get nothing but got three with excellent quality (indoors and an interior room). So...I took the antenna and put it on the second floor by a window with a clearer view to the towers (see my initial post-they are over 50 miles). The height was now approx. 20'. I scanned and got 21 digital and one analog channels including fox 11 which is a vhf-hi station. Two of these froze up, three were repeats, one snowy (analog?), but I had 14 good watchable stations. Last night I sat and watched the packers seahawks game without a hiccup. I never thought this small antenna could do this. So now I'm convinced to put whatever I buy in the attic which is another 10' higher and in the same sight path. Should I get a yagi style or one of those flat 4 section types? I read that the stacker is good? There are so many flat ones to choose from, what are the considerations? Oh, and is a preamp the same as a signal booster?