TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Mar-2013, 3:15 AM   #1
ksmith

Either/or, or maybe both?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddae9a08e976b

My house is oriented such that I can install above the roof (~30ft above ground level) with a clear view across the street from 240° (WSW) through 0° (due North), with no obstructions of any kind for 150ft within that arc, nothing at all above the roofline for hundreds of yards. I also have an extinct chimney at the west side of the house where I could mount a tall mast with a large antenna with minimal "discussions" with my wife, but there is a large stand of 50ft+ trees *directly* behind it, so I'm leery of how they'd affect incoming signals. Is that a valid concern?

Also, I need to feed FIVE televisions, but only two of them are HDTVs. However, one of these is in the basement rec room ~40ft below the highest point of the roof. The other three are on the second floor, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to run dedicated indoor antennae for them, or maybe a smaller/weaker outdoor antenna for each, especially when I start thinking about cable, preamps, splitters, and my time running cable and climbing up & down ladders...

Anyway, is there any chance I could get all the high VHF stations from both Baltimore and DC from one antenna without a rotator?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on my situation.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2013, 6:26 AM   #2
teleview

For a 1 antenna shot at receiving both the Washington DC and Baltimore Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels in the Green and Yellow reception zones with 1 antenna.

Above the roof mounted to the chimney , install a Antennas Direct , Clear Stream 5 , aimed at a in between aim direction of about 295 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the -->starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim can be adjusted for best reception.

((Another antenna aim direction to try is about 215 degree magnetic compass direction.))

Ronard makes a High Quality chimney antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , buy at ,http://www.solidsignal.com , by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

Install a Channel Master CM3410 distribution amplifier.

_________

Use a 6 way splitter. Leviton 47690-6.

Put a 75 ohm terminator on the unused output of the 6 way splitter.

((Every time a split takes place the signal is reduced.))

If it is not actually 5 Tv's connected , and it is really 4 Tv's connected the use a 4 way splitter.

If it is not actually 4 Tv's connected , and is really 3 Tv's connected then use a 3 way splitter.

If it is not actually 3 Tv's connected , and is really 2 Tv's connected then use a 2 way splitter.

If it is not actually 2 Tv's connected , and is really 1 Tv connected then use No splitter.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc.

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.com.
Old 9-Mar-2013, 1:43 AM   #3
ksmith

I now realize I only really asked half my question. Can I get all the high VHF stations and a reasonable set of the UHF stations, from both Baltimore and DC, with a single antenna?

Thanks for your help.
Old 9-Mar-2013, 3:08 AM   #4
teleview

The C5 receives both VHF and UHF.

As stated it is 'shot' at receiving both directions with 1 antenna.

The Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels in the Green and Yellow reception zones of the tvfool Digital Pending Applications Included should be received.

If both directions are not received then , a second antenna can be installed , the C5 will be aimed aimed at 345 degree magnetic compass direction and a second C5 will be aimed at about 250 degree magnetic compass direction.

The 2 antennas will be 2 separate antenna systems that Will Not be connected on to one coax.

A 1 antenna system installation is easier to deal with. Then 2 antenna system installation.
Old 9-Mar-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
ksmith

If I were to write off Baltimore altogether, and to all-in on DC, would you still be recommending the C5, as opposed to something like an HBU33 or 7694P? I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to this stuff, and am starting to think I might be better off focusing on quality instead of quantity. I suspect my wife's acceptance of our transition to OTA will suffer more due to dropped signals than fewer channels.

Thanks again. I hope you find it rewarding to help others, because I'm blown away with how much effort you put into responding to threads like these. It's appreciated.
Old 10-Mar-2013, 3:10 AM   #6
teleview

To concentrate on and receive more of the DC Digital Tv stations/channels , install a Winegard HD7697P antenna aimed at about 269 degree magnetic compass direction.

Use the CM3410 distribution amplifier and etc. .
Old 10-Mar-2013, 6:48 AM   #7
ksmith

Last question, I promise

Would I just be wasting money to bump up to the 7698P?

EDIT (sneaking in a side question under my promise ;-)

...or would I be better off putting the extra money/effort into raising the 7697 by 5-10 feet?

Last edited by ksmith; 10-Mar-2013 at 6:56 AM.
Old 10-Mar-2013, 8:49 AM   #8
teleview

Stay with the HD7697P antenna.

The 35 foot antenna height is Ok , however if can go a little higher that is Ok.