TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Dec-2011, 2:34 AM   #1
bonline

Help with TV Signal analysis

Hello all,

I am trying to understand the TV signal analysis - here is the link to my analysis, if someone can point me to the appropriate antennas to look at it would be appreciated. If its on the roof type, ideally I would like something that won't be a eye sore.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12a14b72a88f
bonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2011, 5:53 AM   #2
be236

Looks like most of your channels are around 3 o'clock direction... A good bay antenna like CM 4221HD should do the trick.. if you want the other channels in the opposite direction get another antenna or use a rotor.
be236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2011, 7:27 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Sorry to disagree with you be236, but there are several VHF stations available.

@ bonline, If if programing from WOCK, real CH-4 is of interest to you, you'll want to consider a Winegard HD7015.

A Winegard HD7694P would be my recommendation if you have no interest in WOCK, there are still stations on real channel 7, 10 and 12 which include the ABC and CBS affiliates.

You have excellent signal conditions... lots of strong signals and almost all grouped closely together. I wish it was this easy for everyone.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Dec-2011 at 7:29 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2011, 7:55 AM   #4
Electron

Reception

Install a Winegard HD7082P all channel antenna above the roof. Point the antenna at 71 degree magnetic compass , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html , for reception of the main group of digital tv stations and WOCK-CD channel 4. One of the digital sub channels of WOCK is , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOCK-CD , http://www.amaericaone.com. WESV-LD 40 is a spanish language station and W40CN-D 40 will have interference problems being on the same channel , but Wikipedia says W40CN is not on the air http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W40CND. WWTO will be received through the back side of the antenna and WYIN PBS channel 17 does not have much in the way of PBS programing and the complete PBS programing is covered buy WCIU and WJYS. Point the HD7082P all channel antenna at 71 degree magnetic compass and leave it there.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
No static at all

If aesthetics are a concern, I would go with the Winegard 7694P mounted on the roof.

I personally don't think real channel 4 would be received reliably with any antenna given the distance & low transmit power.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2011, 1:57 PM   #6
Dave Loudin

Sigh, I think we know who Electron is. For the OP, you can check on the status of any station much more reliably at rabbitears.info. Don't bother with Wikipedia. Oh, there also seems to be a problem with WLS's listing. They transmit both on 7 and 44.

Last edited by Dave Loudin; 2-Dec-2011 at 2:03 PM.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2011, 6:24 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Sigh, I think we know who Electron is.
Lol... He just can't stay away. At least he hasn't yet started in on the "truth"... Who else is stuck on the 7082/7084 even when it isn't needed?

A simple 7-51(69) antenna is all that is needed unless the OP really wants WOCK's programming.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2011, 8:11 PM   #8
be236

Yeah, I didnt know what channels the OP wanted since he didnt specify, so just gave a generic recommendation...
Old 2-Dec-2011, 8:12 PM   #9
be236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
Sigh, I think we know who Electron is. For the OP, you can check on the status of any station much more reliably at rabbitears.info. Don't bother with Wikipedia. Oh, there also seems to be a problem with WLS's listing. They transmit both on 7 and 44.
Yup, I noticed that too.
Old 2-Dec-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
bonline

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses, the channels I would be interested in are: CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS are a must, the rest are if I get them great, if not no big deal.

Second question I have is, how would I connect these antenna type to my AV Receiver, are HDMI possible?

And lastly, there are many TV coax outlets throughout the home. Currently, the dish network signal goes into a box in the basement and this box distributes the signal to any of the coax outlets. I guess I would do the same with the coax coming from the antenna and feed it to the same box. Since the signal may degrade, I should perhaps pick-up a amp along the way - thoughts?

Thank you.
Old 3-Dec-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
bonline

The channels that are a must are ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS. The rest are bonus.

I had a follow-up to the analysis - How would I connect the antenna to my AV receiver? Current set-up is the Dish network signal goes into a box in the basement and then the signal gets distributed throughout the many coax in the house. From the coax in the family room, it feeds the Dish DVR and the I HDMI out to the receiver to the TV.
Old 4-Dec-2011, 2:08 AM   #12
Electron

Reception

All the group tv stations to the north east at about 70 degree magnetic compass will be received , that includes , NBC , CBS , ABC , FOX , PBS and all of the others. As for the box in the basement , are there any make and model numbers?? Also , how many tv's are/will be connected?? Some satellite tv receivers will also tune the , Broadcast Digital Tv Channels , check the owners manual. Also how many tv's are/will be connected.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2011, 7:30 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

Electron is right, some satellite receivers include an ATSC (OTA DTV) tuner.

If yours does not, there are products such as the Channel Master CM7400 as well as the CM7001 which would provide HDMI interface to your AV receiver. Centronix also has a stand alone tuner with HDMI output.

Home Theater PC technology is also an option with a much wider array of ATSC tuners to choose from.

Old 10-Dec-2011, 5:53 AM   #14
ghz24

Are my results unusual?

No static at all said:
Quote:
I personally don't think real channel 4 would be received reliably with any antenna given the distance & low transmit power.
Really is that the consensus of all?
Because I have a channel 4 (I think) WHBF about 77 miles away with 3dB lower NM and dBm values than these and I pull in a signal about 5-10% with a 30 year old ~ 5-6dBi old bent-up antenna craft/radiosnack combo yagi. I wanted rtv and I am considering building a custom cut yagi just for whbf real channel 4 . Then just yesterday I found this http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=whbf#station

Is whbf on vhf low 4 or uhf 47 or both?
Why is there only one listing on my tv fool report?
Oh and come to think of it my lcd computer monitor can interfere with the signal and the microwave oven also. So I'm almost sure I'm receiving the vhf low signal. But how would I tell if I didn't own a microwave oven?
BTW I have trees and have to shoot under very close high tension wires I have no splitters or amps and about 70 feet of coax and I don't have line of sight (two edge).

I think electron's suggestion is valid as long as the OP knows what the bigger antenna gives for the price and trouble that installing a larger antenna entails, then the OP can decide if the extra antenna is worth the trouble.

If I lived there I would hope to get wock and maybe even wlfm channel 6.(with a little extra effort)
But I'm not suggesting that bonline should go after ether of these.
ghz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-2011, 6:40 AM   #15
GroundUrMast

Re. Low-VHF

Even if we don't have a consensus, I'd still like to hear from those who have experience with real world low-VHF reception. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2858

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 10-Dec-2011 at 6:42 AM.
Old 10-Dec-2011, 1:57 PM   #16
No static at all

If you live in a electrically quiet area, WHBF-RF4 with around 20,000 watts, may in fact be doable 77 miles out. I was considering the OP's low 500 watt available signal after 33 miles when giving my opinion.

Overhead power lines are a huge deal breaker in many areas with anything below RF 7 unless the signal is still relatively strong.
Old 10-Dec-2011, 8:06 PM   #17
Dave Loudin

ghz24, this is a map submitted as part of the application for a low-power translator on 47 for WHBF. The translator is meant to provide indoor reception in the urban core. Hopefully, this will help you figure out what's happening.

BTW, WHBF is operating with 33.7 kW on ch. 4.

Last edited by Dave Loudin; 10-Dec-2011 at 8:11 PM. Reason: Extra ERP detail
Old 10-Dec-2011, 11:39 PM   #18
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
BTW, WHBF is operating with 33.7 kW on ch. 4.
Thanks Dave, I was using TV FOOL which is showing 24.100 kw's. I see the FCC is using the 33.7 kw number which is likely more accurate.
Old 11-Dec-2011, 1:27 AM   #19
Dave Loudin

They had been operating at 33.7 via STA until requesting permanent authority and getting it. Searching the FCC's consolidated database is always the most accurate story. Theoretically, the version for public download agrees with it.
Old 12-Dec-2011, 5:31 AM   #20
ghz24

Thanks guys

Thanks for straightening that out for me.
I see . I'm less than 2 miles inside the vhf ring
Quote:
I was using TV FOOL which is showing 24.100 kw's. I see the FCC is using the 33.7 kw number which is likely more accurate.
So this means the tv fool signal data for this channel is off by ~30% and the signals for whbf maybe actually higher than the OP 's channel 4 (not 3dB lower)?

That is actually encouraging cause it was looking pretty dismal (my quest for 4)
with you guys saying twice my signal level is unreliably with any antenna.
ghz24 is offline   Reply With Quote