TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Jun-2012, 7:05 PM   #1
Randall710

Seeking expert opinions please and thank you

Hi, my name is Randy. I have a Antennas Direct 91XG UHF TV Antenna (91XG) and a Winegard AP-8700 pre-amp. They are mounted on the south 2nd story fascia about 22ft up. I had to pull about 55-60ft of RG6 to one tv(no splitters).Side-note, I would like to split the signal to feed some other tvs though in the future. We just had a metal roof installed on the house so I thought I'd try and tune things in. I have seen no unusually changes in reception sine the new roof. Since this antenna set-up has been installed for almost 2 years, I thought it is time to tune it up. Here is a link to my tv signal analysis results:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349c82856ecc5
I have the antenna pointed pretty much straight at channel 55.1 in the NW to get Fox. It rarely comes in during the day but it will at night. One of my questions is does any of the experts see a better way to peak this antenna in? I have troubles some times getting 15.1 ABC to come in as well as 12.1 PBS. 16.1 PBS comes in fine though and it is farther. My chimney might be in the way some for 15.1. I thought I might try and hit 27.1 for Fox and see what else shows up. I don't get 27.1 at all right now. The channels I can get steadily are: 3.1, 10.1, 10.2(with a weird pause and play effect), 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, 16.4, 17.1, 17.2, 23.1, 23.2, 51.1. The channels I get that are'nt as reliable are: 3.2, 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, 15.1, 15.2, 20.1, 20.2, 55.1, 55.2.
Any comments would be appreciated. I'm a novice and would like to learn more. I haven't tried to change the antenna much because I'm not a big fan of heights and now the new metal roof is pretty slick! Thanks for everyone's time and consideration.
Randall710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
signals unlimited

For starters the problematic channels:

12 is VHF (your antenna has no VHF capability)
15 is from a direction out of range of your highly directional antenna.
20 is at the end of the range of your antenna. You may be able to tweek it in.
55 is also nearly out of range.

I would recommend adding an Antenna Craft Y5713 High VHF antenna to your system. You can couple this into your amplifier with a UHF/VHF combinder.

You need a rotor to tune in any channels more than 15-20 degrees from the point of aim.

The Eagel Aspen Roto 100 can be installed using your existing coax, provided you follow the instructions to a "T".
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2012, 3:05 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Spot on!

I will comment that I've gotten anecdotal reports of VHF reception with a 91XG, especially when the main boom is perpendicular to the signal source's direction. However, expecting out-of-design-band performance is one of those things I discourage. Testing for it is fine, but be pleasantly surprised if it should happen to work. Planning for the VHF reception is recommended.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jun-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Randall710

Thanks for the info everyone! I will consider a second antenna in the future. Right now I'm trying to make due with what I already have.
Randall710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jun-2012, 8:54 PM   #5
Electron

All questions and answers about Tv reception.

For reception with the XG91 only.

Aim the XG91 at about 347 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote