TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Feb-2015, 7:39 PM   #1
brucenh

Reception problems in Maple Ridge

Firstly this is a great resource, I have read and learned a lot from it. Thanks to all the tireless contributors.
I am almost ready to cut the cable but i have one stumbling block. The wife loves Jeopardy and I can only get that on CHEK (49).

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1509f1ddeebc
Antennas Direct Clearstream C4
Channel Master 7778
HDHomerun Tuner HDTC-2US(CA)
50' of cable from antenna pre-amp to power injector

Initially I started with a homemade antenna as proof of concept. I was able to get all the tvfool green channels no problem, when pointed in the right direction. I was even able to get KVOS(35) occasionally. Since I was more than happy with the results from a 6 coat-hangers antenna I decided to go for a the roof antenna route because I wanted to add PBS(24) and CHEK(49).
After installing the antenna I found that I could get PBS at night and sometimes CHEK. The antenna is pointed at PBS

Because the signals were bit weak I thought I would try a pre-amp. I chose the 778 because I did not want to overwhelm my strong channels.

The first night this worked like a charm and I got good PBS and Chek. The next morning CHEK went away and has not come back. PBS is fine. Strangely I lost KVOS when I put up the antenna and it did not come back with the preamp.
I have tried both turning and moving the antenna up and down. (I found if I go higher I lose PBS entirely.)

From, HDHOME Run - unfortunately they do not give actual values.

PBS
Signal Strength 71%
Signal Quality 58%
Symbol Quality 100% stable

Chek
Signal Strength 64%
Signal Quality 42%
Symbol Quality 0%

KVos
Signal Strength 82%
Signal Quality 42%
Symbol Quality 0%

CBC
Signal Strength 98%
Signal Quality 90%
Symbol Quality 100%

Other notes: There are evergreen trees inteh direction of both PBS and CHEK. I get stronger signals at night. I get stronger signals when cloudy vs clear.

Not sure where to go from here. So far after spending a bunch o money and time I have gain PBS and lost KVOS (not a big deal). So I am really not that much better of than I was with a coathanger antenna.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers Bruce
brucenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

My experience with HDHR tuners has been that 'Signal Quality' is the most telling statistic. Any value under 50% is usually inadequate, and you'll not likely see any reliable reception. The minimum goal is a stable 'Signal Quality' value of at least 60%. Values that are usually high but prone to fluctuation will generally be prone to unreliable periods of reception.

A stable high quality signal is not achieved through amplification. Amplification will increase both the desired and undesired RF levels... And add a bit of noise and distortion created in the active electronics of the amp... The net result is often a high-strength-low-quality signal.

I'd suggest you try adjusting the antenna aim, height and location in deliberate steps, looking for an acceptable quality signal. If practical, the HDHR tuner could be place at the antenna during the adjustments... With the amplifier and it's power supply completely disconnected. You'll be seeing the actual signal right off the antenna... Until you have a reliable signal there, there's no point in amplifying anything.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2015, 4:30 PM   #3
brucenh

Thanks muchly for the input.

When I initially installed the antenna I used the handy HDHomerun Cell phone app. This allowed me to see what the actual readings were on the HDRH unit. I optimised its position according to these readings. (Lowering the antenna as you suggested was actually better)

After my lack of success with the Chek signal I decided, probably wrongly, to try the amplifier.

On cloudy days everyting improves considerably and I can get CHEK fine but on clear days I am now losing both Chek and PBS.

So, assuming a strongly ampliifer will actually not help but make things worse. Do you think something like a DB8e would do the trick and get me over the magic 60% or should I just abandon the attempt?

Cheers
Old 22-Feb-2015, 4:49 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

You're close at this point... I'd expect some improvement. Unfortunately, the only way to know what the result would be is to try.

Do you have any options to mount higher, even if just for testing? I'd want to find better signal quality in the air, then consider the cost vs benefit of replacing the existing antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2015, 5:25 PM   #5
brucenh

How much higer do you think I would need to go? I might be able to find a longer pole.
Old 22-Feb-2015, 6:39 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucenh View Post
How much higer do you think I would need to go? I might be able to find a longer pole.
Google street level mapping shows you in a beautiful area. If I figure your exact location right, CHEK gets line of sight (LOS) at 50'. (Do you have the foot bridge to get to your home?)

You might consider mounting an antenna on one of the tall pine trees near your house.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2015, 7:41 PM   #7
brucenh

Yes, you are exactly right with the location. We are lucky enough to live on a wild salmon river and have to cross our footbridge to get to the road.
The trees are tall cedars and no you are not getting me to climb them :-).

We have to overcome a bit of a ridge in between us and Chek/PBS about 60 feet. Not sure if this is enough to cause a big problem.
My other option is to move the antenna to a different chimney, which is about 20 feet to the east and further away from the trees. I would prefer not to do this because we burn a wood fire daily in the winter and I read this was bad for an antenna. But it maybe a worthwhile experiment.