TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Feb-2015, 7:12 PM   #1
Calin Cole

Reception problems I shouldnt be having

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get a little insight. Below is my radar report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1555fdbb8055

It doesn't look like I can link the overlay map, but all those channels, despite close proximity and LOS range from the good edge of yellow through red on the map overlay.

My goals are to reliably get the first 5 channels on the list. They are in all in green as you can see, about 2.5 miles from me and I have a pretty clear line of sight.

When I first moved to the house I had small antenna on top of the TV, and it only partially worked. Channel 16 didnt come in at all. I could get either 46/19/40 or I could get 32 depending on how I tweaked the antenna positioning, but even then things were iffy.

I later moved the antenna into my attic, and found exactly no difference in reception. Relevant, my house has a wood structure but aluminum siding.

Then, I ended up building a media room in my basement and needed a new solution. So, I got an outdoor antenna, a RCA ANT751, and mounted it on my roof on the leftover mast where a DISH had been. It is about 20 feet above ground, and I have aimed it according to the maps here. I used the already existing coax run leftover from the DISH down into the basement, I would estimate that it is approximately an 80 foot run.

The results basically suck. I cant really get anything reliably. All the channels shown in green can be received occasionally but it seems random and the connection is always coming and going. Some days some channels basically work with occasional hiccups, other days they simply wont resolve at all. There does not seem to be any discernible pattern.

So, any advice is welcome, a different style of antenna or anything. I could potentially relocate the antenna also. My house is midway up a hill so I could theoretically bury a coax run up the backyard and get some additional height.

Please let me know if there is any other information that would be helpful.
Calin Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 9:37 PM   #2
Jake V

Assuming that the ANT751 has a good line of sight at 200 degrees on a compass, you should be doing OK.

Did you remove and replace any splitters used by the satellite set up? Usually you can re-use the coax but not usually the splitters.

You should not need an amplifier.

Do you have more than one TV? What happens if you connect the coax directly from the antenna to each of your televisions?
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 11:36 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Agreeing with all that Jake V has said... I'd go so far as to say that any type of amplifier is likely to overload, leaving you with less reliable reception.

I'd take the advise, [test] 'What happens if you connect the coax directly from the antenna to [one] of your televisions'.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2015, 1:47 PM   #4
Calin Cole

Thanks for the replies. I do not believe that there are any splitters in the run, but I should (and will) check that again.

I am currently using a set top tuner box so that I can send the signal to a TV and to a projector (that of course does not have a tuner) But I will experiment as you suggested and see if there is a difference plugging directly into my TV.

I guess I should also get up on the roof again and make sure the aim is on lock down. How big a deal are things like tree branches across the LOS? Is it the kind of thing where i really need it completely clean, like I could see a laser pointer on the far spot or what?
Old 17-Feb-2015, 2:03 PM   #5
No static at all

Sounds to me like either severe multipath, or possible tuner overload. What kind of tuner are you using?

Can you take a picture of how the antenna is mounted?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2015, 2:14 PM   #6
Calin Cole

I am using an IVIEW 3500STB

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its kind of a POS for other reasons, but I will say that its reception wasn't particularly different from what I had had before. Regardless I will test that against the built in tuner on my TV.

Unfortunately I am at work right now so I wont be able to get a picture until this evening or tomorrow morning. When I do get it I will put it up here though. Thanks.
Old 19-Feb-2015, 7:34 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin Cole View Post
... How big a deal are things like tree branches across the LOS? Is it the kind of thing where i really need it completely clean, like I could see a laser pointer on the far spot or what?
When the weather is good, and the wind is dead calm, tree limbs with in a few hundred yards of the receiving antenna are not too much of a problem. The rest of the time, they can cause havoc.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote