TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-Apr-2015, 2:10 AM   #1
yzman720
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8
Here is my setup with video - done correctly?

My location: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f02acbbb24b5

Video of setup: https://youtu.be/uB75xurooEY
sorry about the quality first video I have never done!

I went with the db8e and the clearstream 5
I have the db8e & catstream 5 going into a vhf/uhf diplexer and then running into a juice preamp, from the juice my powered wired will run 25-30' to the telecommunication box and split off to the TV's in the home from there.
I have 3 questions -
1. My attic does have some metal strips here and there from the trusses and some can lights does it look like it will interfere?
2. My compression fittings on my rg6 cables do not have rubber o rings in them and the 2 cables that came with the db8e do have rubber o rings - Do I need to redo all of mine and buy some o rings? I did use dielectric grease on each fitting.
3.My interpretation of my map is I need to face the db8e at 65degrees and the catstream 5 at 55 degrees. Is this an accurate interpretation?

Last edited by yzman720; 21-Apr-2015 at 2:40 PM.
yzman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2015, 8:01 PM   #2
Jake V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 329
Q1. My attic does have some metal strips here and there from the trusses and some can lights does it look like it will interfere?

A1. Possibly. Your TVFool Report suggests you have fairly weak, 2 edge signals for some of the networks. You really won't know until you hook up a TV and try.

Q2. My compression fittings on my rg6 cables do not have rubber o rings in them and the 2 cables that came with the db8e do have rubber o rings - Do I need to redo all of mine and buy some o rings? I did use dielectric grease on each fitting.

A2. I doubt it. Especially since your set-up is in the attic, which is weather protected.

Q3. My interpretation of my map is I need to face the db8e at 65 degrees and the catstream 5 at 55 degrees. Is this an accurate interpretation?

A3. Yes. Start the db8e at 65 degrees. Your UHF stations range from 49 degrees to 105 degrees (magnetic). You will likely need to do some fine tuning and hopefully can find a sweet spot to get all the UHF stations you desire. I'd aim the c-5 at 69 degrees to start to get ABC on translator K10KM-D (Real Channel 10) and then adjust as necessary towards 54 degrees for CBS 12.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2015, 1:15 AM   #3
yzman720
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Q1. My attic does have some metal strips here and there from the trusses and some can lights does it look like it will interfere?

A1. Possibly. Your TVFool Report suggests you have fairly weak, 2 edge signals for some of the networks. You really won't know until you hook up a TV and try.

Q2. My compression fittings on my rg6 cables do not have rubber o rings in them and the 2 cables that came with the db8e do have rubber o rings - Do I need to redo all of mine and buy some o rings? I did use dielectric grease on each fitting.

A2. I doubt it. Especially since your set-up is in the attic, which is weather protected.

Q3. My interpretation of my map is I need to face the db8e at 65 degrees and the catstream 5 at 55 degrees. Is this an accurate interpretation?

A3. Yes. Start the db8e at 65 degrees. Your UHF stations range from 49 degrees to 105 degrees (magnetic). You will likely need to do some fine tuning and hopefully can find a sweet spot to get all the UHF stations you desire. I'd aim the c-5 at 69 degrees to start to get ABC on translator K10KM-D (Real Channel 10) and then adjust as necessary towards 54 degrees for CBS 12.

The db8e has 2 antennas I was going to put one of them at 68 degrees and the other side of it at 320 degrees to try and catch channel 26 cw. Anything wrong with that having the 2 antennas of the db8e face different like that?
yzman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Jake V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 329
Channel 26 / CW is going to be impossible to pull in with any antenna since it is -13. Plus, you very likely need the 'full power' of the db-8e to pull in ABC at 2.8 dB. But you can certainly try.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,942
Your wiring is correct so far.

1. Impossible to say. Just don't get married to the ideas that everything will work perfectly the first time. It's common to have to move antennas around, especially in an attic, in order to get the best results.

2. Indoor connections don't need the o-rings. I'd remove them as they can cause some problems for the unsuspecting.

3. You likely don't even need the ClearStream 5 unless you want PBS. Your channel 10 signal should come in fine with the DB8e and there's pretty close to zero chance that you'll pick up the VHF 8 signal for WSIU's DuQoin transmitter in the attic. FYI, WSIU never built the channel 28 translator for the Cape area. If you want PBS, that C5 is likely going to need to go to the rooftop.

I would recommend keeping the DB8e panels aligned and focusing your aim on WDKA. The rest of the stations will probably get brought along for the ride.

Be prepared to put the antenna outside and in a spot with a line of sight clear of trees. Expecting to receive weak UHF signals in an attic after they have to go through trees is usually a losing proposition due to unrealistic expectations.

The prospect of reliably receiving any of the St Louis stations with the antenna in the attic is zero.

Best of luck!
__________________
Antennas Direct Tech Support

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2015, 9:37 PM   #6
yzman720
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Your wiring is correct so far.

1. Impossible to say. Just don't get married to the ideas that everything will work perfectly the first time. It's common to have to move antennas around, especially in an attic, in order to get the best results.

2. Indoor connections don't need the o-rings. I'd remove them as they can cause some problems for the unsuspecting.

3. You likely don't even need the ClearStream 5 unless you want PBS. Your channel 10 signal should come in fine with the DB8e and there's pretty close to zero chance that you'll pick up the VHF 8 signal for WSIU's DuQoin transmitter in the attic. FYI, WSIU never built the channel 28 translator for the Cape area. If you want PBS, that C5 is likely going to need to go to the rooftop.

I would recommend keeping the DB8e panels aligned and focusing your aim on WDKA. The rest of the stations will probably get brought along for the ride.

Be prepared to put the antenna outside and in a spot with a line of sight clear of trees. Expecting to receive weak UHF signals in an attic after they have to go through trees is usually a losing proposition due to unrealistic expectations.

The prospect of reliably receiving any of the St Louis stations with the antenna in the attic is zero.

Best of luck!
So what would be your recommendation to point the db8e and clear stream 5 at degree wise? and should I point both of the db8e in the same direction?
I don't want to sound like an idiot but how are you accurately pointing to the correct degree? I have a compass but it is not seeming very easy to do with it?
yzman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,942
Do you have a copy of your property's plat with the foundation on it? Blueprints for the house's construction? If so, it should have the orientation of house shown on it relative to true north. From there, it's a matter of using a protractor and a ruler to pencil in a line on it so you can get your bearings inside the attic.
__________________
Antennas Direct Tech Support

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2015, 10:54 PM   #8
yzman720
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Do you have a copy of your property's plat with the foundation on it? Blueprints for the house's construction? If so, it should have the orientation of house shown on it relative to true north. From there, it's a matter of using a protractor and a ruler to pencil in a line on it so you can get your bearings inside the attic.
no I sure don't have that, any other suggestions?
what about the degree of the clearstream and db8e? and bothe db8e antennas in same direction or not?
yzman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 3:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC