TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Aug-2012, 2:29 AM   #1
snowdon06

which indoor tv ? Winegard SS-3000 or the Quantum FX ANT-102 ?

Hello,

I would need some advice buying an indoor antenna, I currently have a terk Hdtva antenna, it gets almost all the channels I want but its big problem is that I constantly have to move it around to receive different channels.

after looking for various antennas online, I would like to buy the Winegard Winegard SS-3000 or the Quantum FX ANT-102.

I think the winegard would look a little better in my living room but I don't know if it would me more "omnidirectional" than the Terk HDTVA.

Would it be a good choice ? here is what I have found on tvfool, I currently have a lot of trouble receiving FOx (WFFF-DT)

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...990015e3c3360f

Thank you !
snowdon06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Aug-2012, 6:54 AM   #2
teleview

Tv Reception.

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home or etc.??

If an apartment , etc , what floor?? , what is the top floor??

What directions do windows , patio/balcony , face??

The best for reception is a wood building with wood or vinyl siding.

If the building is , concrete , concrete block , cinder block , big rocks for walls , stucko Wire , metal backed insulation , metal siding , metal roof , solar panels , then reception will be reduced or blocked.
Old 9-Aug-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
snowdon06

hello,
I live in an apartment at the 3rd floor (top floor) and my window faces north and I guess it is a brick building.
Old 9-Aug-2012, 5:18 PM   #4
teleview

Tv Reception.

Is there a balcony?? What direct??

For reception of the Canada Digital Tv stations/channels install a TERK HDTVi Non amplified indoor antenna in the North Window.

Aim the HDTVi antenna a little to the north east because the Canada digital Tv transmitters are to the north east at about 50 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

The Canada Tv transmissions are Very Strong at your location.

The Strong signals Will Over Load a Amplified antenna and be the cause of bad reception or no reception.

That is why the recommendation of Non Amplified antenna.

Your location also has receivable USA Digital Tv stations/channels to the south east and south west.

At about a in between aim direction of 190 degree magnetic compass direction.

And some of those might be received with the HDTVi antenna that is in the north window.

The USA Tv stations/channels will be received , better , with a better antenna location.

Hense the questions about the , windows , patio/balconies or a location/s with a better , less obstructed or unobstructed view , to the south west / south east.

To help get better reception of the Canada Tv stations and USA Tv stations channels.

You think in terms of locating a antenna at a location that has better less obstructed or unobstructed views to the , north east , south east , south west.

Here is a question that is designed to get better reception of the digital broadcast Tv channels.

Are there any of those small satellite dishes on the out side of the building??

If so , then most likely a Small broadcast Tv antenna such as a ANT751 or a Winegard FV HD30 antenna could be mounted out side at a location that will have less obstructed or unobstructed views to the north east , south east , south west.

The idea is to think of a place or places that the antenna will have less obstructed or unobstructed views of , north east , south east , south west.
Old 9-Aug-2012, 6:22 PM   #5
snowdon06

Thank you for the information !

I unfortunately don't have a balcony, isn't the Terk HDTVa essentially an HDTVi once the amplifier is off ?

what annoys me is that I constantly have to move the HDTVa around, wouldn't it be the same with the HTVi ?

thank you
Old 9-Aug-2012, 8:51 PM   #6
teleview

Tv Reception.

The HDTVa must remain pulged in , and the switch is put in the off position to make it function as a HDTVi.

So get a long coax to reach from the Tv to the window if the 2 are not close.

Omnidirectional antennas in a apartment will make reception worse due to the fact that the Tv signals bounce around in a apartment and a omnidirectional antenna receives all those bouncing around signals and that is not good. So do not use a omnidirectional antenna.
Old 10-Aug-2012, 4:16 AM   #7
snowdon06

I have tried to move my terk HDTVa again and found a much better place near the window I get all the channels I want (except tv quebec and ABC).

I have also noticed that the signals are most unstable when there is more traffic on the road in front of my building.

when I keep the terk HDTVa plugged in and turn the amp off the signal is much worst, I suppose the Hdtvi would have the same result.

I also forgot to mention that there is a tall building not too far from mine, would the Winegard SS-3000 still be a bad choice ?
Old 10-Aug-2012, 4:55 AM   #8
teleview

Tv Reception.

By the window = better reception.

In the window is better yet??

Tv antennas receive the best when Nothing is reducing or blocking reception.

Tv antennas receive the best when there are no reflected signal coming from multipul directions.

Tv antennas receive the best when there are no moving objects such as cars and air planes that produce moving reflected signals.

Tv antennas receive the best when there are no trees or tree leaves reducing or blocking the direction of reception.

Tv antennas receive the best when there are no buildings reducing or blocking the direction of reception.

Tv antennas receive the best when the antenna is at a location that has less or non of these trouble causing situations.

Tv antennas receive the best when the signal is strong.

Yes it is important to find a location that has better reception.

Windows are a good places for better reception.

Yes it is Ok to try the SS3000 or any other antenna.