TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Apr-2011, 6:40 PM   #1
djmike0408

Thumbs up Cutting the cord and going OTA, Frederick, MD

OK ... so I'm done with Comcast for TV and I'm ready to move to an antenna, but I have a few questions for the experts!

I've attached my location report. I live in a two story home with aluminum siding. I have 6 HDTVs in my home, all with digital tuners built in. Questions are:

- What's the best antenna for my location to draw in the most channels? I'm most interested in Washington, DC & Baltimore, MD channels that are south/east and east of me.
- Can I install in my attic and still get most of the stations?
- Can I place a splitter on the current line coming into my house and plug in the TV antenna as well as the Comcast cable (I'm keeping them for internet service only)?
- Does it make sense for me to use a rotor to move the antenna seeing my report?
- Is it true that my HOA has no say in what kind of antenna I decide to use if I put it on my roof because of government laws?

I think that's all for now ... would love to hear from you all on my questions above and moving away from the nasty cable company.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17dbb405ba04

Cheers!

Last edited by djmike0408; 27-Apr-2011 at 6:47 PM.
djmike0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2011, 6:50 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

DO NOT interconnect CATV and OTA systems

CATV systems are closed systems, which must not leak or radiate the signals. This is particularly important because CATV systems commonly use frequencies that are used for aircraft communication and navigation.

If you interconnect the CATV system with your antenna, expect a visit from the CATV company, the FCC and FAA. Have your check book ready and pack an overnight bag for your stay at a government run resort were they'll help you get your mind right. (Cool Hand Luke, 1967)

Even if you don't radiate any CATV signal, The CATV system is likely using the OTA frequencies received by your antenna. There will be mutual interference which will make the conflicting signals from both sources unwatchable. Also the OTA DTV signal format is different than the CATV DTV signal format, your tuners can typically be configured to receive one format or the other... not both at the same time.

Re. HOA rules prohibiting TV antennas: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html The short answer is your HOA and local government are restricted from interfering with your reasonable steps to receive OTA TV signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 27-Apr-2011 at 6:55 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2011, 7:12 PM   #3
Mister Antenna

If you want to try and get ALL your surrounding channels having an antenna that gets you 360 like the chart below would good beginning. You could experiment with an attic install but you will have positioning / rotating limitations not to mention some signal loss.

Directly connect the cable / internet to the coax that has the modem, not splitter needed.

HOA might hassle you, make a good effort to place the antenna not near the front of you home. Yes there is an FCC Law that will guide an HOA.

http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewit...U%29&p=HD8200U
Old 27-Apr-2011, 8:52 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Attic mounting will most likely limit you to just a partial list of major networks.

Do you have a list of 'must have' stations?

Old 27-Apr-2011, 9:05 PM   #5
djmike0408

Well ... I really want all the major networks, NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC ... and for sure out of Washington DC, but I also enjoy watching sports on the Baltimore stations ... so secondly I'd like to have the option to get those stations in that region as well. That's why I was thinking I may need a rotor to move the antenna for Baltimore stations ... though they are not that far apart (east and south east). So ... I was thinking if I went for a larger antenna and pointed it in the middle of them both ... maybe get both? If not ... maybe I just need to do the rotor?

Thanks for the help & interest.
Old 27-Apr-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Given that you are feeding multiple sets, a rotator could be a source of frustration... who decides what to watch?

I'm inclined toward a Winegard HD7698P aimed at DC and an Antennas Direct XG91 aimed at Baltimore. The DC feed would usually satisfy, so cable the XG-91 to only those locations that need the Baltimore signals, select with an A/B switch.

More complex install, yes... but easier to use by multiple viewers.

Low noise preamps will be needed... the Antennas Direst CPA-19 is one option.

(These are high gain, narrow beam width antennas. I don't think you will be able to get reliable coverage of both markets with only one fixed aim antenna. Smaller antennas with wider beam widths won't have the gain needed to provide a decent fade margin. You are facing some rising terrain that calls for the higher performance antennas.)

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 27-Apr-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 27-Apr-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
djmike0408

Well ... there are only 2 of us in the house on a normal basis ... and several of the TVs are mounted on the wall with the coax cable buried in the walls already. So, I wouldn't want to do the dual line thing ... plus have to worry about two antennas. So, that being said ... I assume the way for me to go would be a rotator and the Winegard HD7698P paired with the Antennas Direst CPA-19?
Old 27-Apr-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmike0408 View Post
Well ... there are only 2 of us in the house on a normal basis ... and several of the TVs are mounted on the wall with the coax cable buried in the walls already. So, I wouldn't want to do the dual line thing ... plus have to worry about two antennas. So, that being said ... I assume the way for me to go would be a rotator and the Winegard HD7698P paired with the Antennas Direst CPA-19?
To be on the safe side, you could hold off on the rotator purchase until you confirm that you can't 'split the shot' between DC and Baltimore. You can also verify the reliability of the weaker Baltimore signals by manually aiming the 7698 that way. Realistically, if the UHF performance of the 7698 is able to deliver the Baltimore channels, I think you're going to need a rotator.

The CM9521A rotator is often recommended. It's about the best consumer grade rotator for the price. The next step up is the Hy-Gain AR-40 (much stronger unit) at about three times the cost of the 9521.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 27-Apr-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 28-Apr-2011, 4:00 AM   #9
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Here is the Federal Law that says YES You Can Install and Use Tv Antennas and Other Antennas. This Federal Law goes straight to the point of Yes You Can and No They Can Not stop or even delay you from installing antennas. This Federal Law says yes you can and the words - Yes You Can - are hard for many to understand , what they see is - no you can't-. Here is the Federal Law , http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html , HOA's are well aware of this Federal Law and they still try and scam people in to believing that they can't install and use antennas.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-May-2011, 8:10 PM   #10
djmike0408

Antenna ordered

OK ... so, I placed an order for "The Stacker" antenna. It appears to be very similar to the Winegard model, except it's stacked on top of its self for a more compact design. Much easier for attic mounting (aprox. dimensions: 6' X 5' X 3') . Any comments?

Question for the experts ... If I'm mounting this antenna in the attic, will I need to ground it as well?

http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...fdsh-HD/Detail
Old 4-May-2011, 1:42 AM   #11
dkreichen1968

To comply with the NEC attic instalations don't have to be grounded. There may be signal loss benefits to grounding the cable, but it isn't required.

Best heading appears to be 160 degrees magnetic.

Last edited by dkreichen1968; 4-May-2011 at 1:47 AM.
dkreichen1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-May-2011, 1:58 AM   #12
GroundUrMast

This antenna seems to have a few devout fans (as in fanatics)... Because I can't locate any information other than anecdotal reports and testimonials, I don't know what the real gain of the HD Stacker is. I won't recommend the HD Stacker to you or anyone else, because there are many other antennas available that have published specifications which are recognized as trustworthy.

I hope you can get your money back if it lets you down.

Re. grounding: Use the ground lug on the splitter if the antenna is located in the attic.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 4-May-2011 at 2:05 AM.
Old 4-May-2011, 2:01 AM   #13
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmike0408 View Post
Any comments?
Be prepared to mount the antenna on the roof. I would be very surprised if an attic mount will provide reliable reception of the DC channels. Baltimore will be a no show.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-May-2011, 2:07 AM   #14
dkreichen1968

Head to head antenna test.

http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...V_Antenna.html
dkreichen1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-May-2011, 3:50 AM   #15
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The short comings of the hd stacker have been pointed out many times by me here at tvfool. I will never recommend the stacker to any one.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-May-2011, 1:23 PM   #16
djmike0408

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
Be prepared to mount the antenna on the roof. I would be very surprised if an attic mount will provide reliable reception of the DC channels. Baltimore will be a no show.
Even with the Winegard AP-8700 Preamplifier installed ... do you still think it will not be strong enough? Also, as for the Baltimore channels ... if I install a rotator and point it directly, you still think I won't pick up the channels there?

If it has to be on the roof, then I'll install it there ... but I'd really like to get it in the attic.
Old 4-May-2011, 4:17 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Even with the Winegard AP-8700 Preamplifier installed ...
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1514

My recommendation in post #4 & #6 of this thread stand.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 4-May-2011 at 4:54 PM.