TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Apr-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
jldad

Outdoor Antenna suggestions in SC

Wanting to cut the cord in SC. I'm only interested in the major networks: ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. ABC (WLOS) being the greatest distance. I’m currently have cable with a splitter. As of now I will only use the antenna on 3 TV’s. What kind of antenna and other equipment will I need?

At 25’
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0791b75ba2e

At 6'
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0b9217e5a0b

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
jldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings,

Twenty-five foot is definitely the way to go. Your signal access is improved over 6'.

First consideration: trees. Are you surrounded by them? They can make successful reception even in strong signal areas problematic.

Second consideration: multiple headings. You have a mix of high-VHF (real channels 7-13) and UHF (14+) at your location. This requires some careful equipment selection. Greenville gives you the best chance a full set of major affiliates.

If I were to attempt an installation there would be two approaches I would consider. The first if I wanted a single antenna solution would be an Antennas Direct Clearstream 2V. This antenna would be orientated to magnetic 025 (NNE). It supports high-VHF and UHF and offers a reasonable beamwith. You have a reasonable chance of seeing the major affiliates.

If a 2 antenna system was needed. I'd purchase an Antennas Direct DB8e for UHF channels and a Antennacraft Y10713 for your VHF channels. This would require a combiner to unify the antennas into one coax coming into your home. The Antennas Direct EU385CF works well for this. The DB8e would point to magnetic 025 and the Y10713 about magnetic 020.

Channel master makes a distribution amplifier that, once your coax comes into a central point in your home, at the split point this amplifier offsets signal loss from the split and coax run.

This is this unit: http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna..._p/cm-3414.htm

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2015, 2:06 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Are you surrounded by them? They can make successful reception even in strong signal areas problematic.
I'll go even further. They can make reception IMPOSSIBLE.

Several springs ago, I did a courtesy call to a residential location in South St Louis County (Affton) that was within a stone's throw (less than 2 miles) of most of the St Louis transmitters. One of the towers was visible from the home's sidewalk out at the street, but by the time I walked 40 feet back to the house and checked again for the signal with the portable analyzer, it was down by 40 dB (and barely visible on the screen) from the reading out at the street. The culprit? A pair of 70' silver maple trees in the neighbor's yard, one behind the other, that were wet from a rain shower earlier in the day, that were now directly in the signal path and were blowing in the breeze. I gave the folks a C2 antenna, wished them luck, and took my leave.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2015, 2:28 PM   #4
StephanieS

Yes, it's rough. Then that can lead to people bad mouthing antennas and/or other equipment. That's what makes amazon.com so depressing for antenna product reviews. People who put the antenna in situations where they are promised to fail, then berate the product for not performing.

I'll never forget the sight in Richmond, IN of people in neighborhoods having 50' or even 75' towers next to their homes to get OVER the trees to try to receive Dayton, Cincinnati or even harder - Indianapolis.

At least they gave themselves the best shot at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
I'll go even further. They can make reception IMPOSSIBLE.

Several springs ago, I did a courtesy call to a residential location in South St Louis County (Affton) that was within a stone's throw (less than 2 miles) of most of the St Louis transmitters. One of the towers was visible from the home's sidewalk out at the street, but by the time I walked 40 feet back to the house and checked again for the signal with the portable analyzer, it was down by 40 dB (and barely visible on the screen) from the reading out at the street. The culprit? A pair of 70' silver maple trees in the neighbor's yard, one behind the other, that were wet from a rain shower earlier in the day, that were now directly in the signal path and were blowing in the breeze. I gave the folks a C2 antenna, wished them luck, and took my leave.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote