TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Jul-2014, 3:40 PM   #1
DEDon

questions about pre-amps, signal reception

I haven't been around here for a while but, whenever I need help, I know where to come. Thanks to all for previous post replies.
My issue is:
About two months ago, I seemed to loose signal strength on some stations.
I have a nice winegard deep fringe antenna at 30' with a rotor. I'm 35 miles southwest of Philly in Delaware and get most of my channels from Philly.
Problem is that two months ago, reception of WHYY (12-1, -2, -3) and Channels 29-1,29-2, & 29-3 seems to fail, especially during the day. I've tried to move the antenna to get a better signal strength but, it just doesn't seem to work well for either channel.
The rest of the 35 or so channels are just fine.
Another issue that may or may not be related is that when I watch the signal meter on the TV, it fluctuates all over the place and rarely locks in like the stronger channels.

https://www.tvfool.com/modeling/tmp/...3bc/getall.php

The preamp like the rest of the setup that I installed is about 2.5 years old. The preamp is in the attack, having run the coax from the antenna, through the attack to the far end of the house and then down to the basement splitters.

The only other room in the house in which we have a TV is the MBR where we have a newer model flat screen and it doesn't seem to have this weak channel issue.
The Big Screen, on which I have these issues IS the last of the projections (2006), but again, there were no issues until recently.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Viewsonics VSMA 601C-10R Amp
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
DEDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2014, 4:46 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You are experiencing either multi-path (reflections and echoes) or electronic/electrical interference. The newer TV has a better tuner and can handle it, the older older one cannot.

Please follow the instructions on your report page to share the link instead of a picture of it. They're different.

Also, please specifically identify the antenna and preamp by make and model.

Most commonly, reception problems that crop up in the spring and early summer are due to foliage growth in front of or near the antenna.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2014, 5:58 PM   #3
DEDon

Thanks, ADTech.
I'll have to dig up the Model numbers and include them in my Signature from now on.
Last year, I didn't have the issue and foliage hasn't changed that much. I wondered whether I should invest in some type of newer, external (box) tuner if that is even possible.
I'll take your advice regarding a link to my stations
The link I copied is pasted: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c634485e03bc
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 6-Jul-2014, 9:53 PM   #4
DEDon

Smile So, ?

What I would like to know is: Since I am happy with my Toshiba, is it possible to invest in an external tuner and connect the output to my current TV?
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 7-Jul-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Foliage changes every year. It doesn't take much of a change in a critical location to cause 'new' problems where previously there were none.

Yes, if you have an open HDMI port, an external tuner can be easily added. You may find you have to test several to find one that has a tuner that can handle your particular signals well enough.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote