TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Nov-2013, 7:47 PM   #1
fivehokies

Question Western Kentucky / Evansville, IN reception help

Here is my TVfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae2e34cdbe07
(I live on a fairly sizeable hill which I think would help with reception.)

I recently cut the cord with DirecTV. I installed an RCA ANT751 to pick up the local stations. I live in Owensboro (Western Kentucky) and are primarily trying to pick up the network stations from Evansville, IN. I can pick up all the stations except for ABC (25.1) which is the furthest station away at 29.6 miles. I do not have any filters or amplifiers installed on my line. I've double checked the alignment of the antenna twice with both a conventional compass as well as a digital compass on my tablet. Even with the antenna pointing at the ABC station, I cannot get a good reception. According to my TV's signal strength indicator, it is coming in at ~60% strength. It is totally pixilated and unwatchable. The other stations come in clearly without issue.

The other odd thing that I will mention... When I first installed the antenna two weeks ago, I was able to pick up ABC (it had some minor pixelation but was watchable). Once the weather turned cold, I have not been able to get a better picture again.

What would a logical next step be in trying to pick up ABC? Should I try an amplifier or should I try a different antenna (if so, what would you recommend)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Steve
fivehokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2013, 8:35 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your report indicates an antenna height of 5' AGL. My first suggestion would be to experiment with alternative mounting heights and locations. Avoid locations that force you to aim at trees or other obstructions.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-2013, 1:12 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-------
The Tvfool report shows the antenna height above ground is 5 feet.

Is 5 feet above ground the antenna height??

Do not delete the the 5 foot above ground antenna height report.

And make and post a Tvfool report with the antenna height at 25 feet above ground.

25 feet antenna height above ground is a reference antenna height that provides a good idea of what is receiable.
Old 30-Nov-2013, 1:41 AM   #4
fivehokies

Question Antenna height

Here is the report from 25'; I am not sure how to interpret the difference with the 5' report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeb88b81637f

I am not sure if the 5' is accurate or not. The RCA antenna is 5' off the ground, but my house is on a hill. It is much more than 5' above the street level if that makes sense.

I took advantage of the old DirecTV stand rather than put more holes in my brick. If it will make a significant difference, I can put up a higher stand.

What are your thoughts on filters or amplifiers? Only try them after experimenting with another antenna location?

Thanks so much for the help.
Steve
Old 30-Nov-2013, 1:52 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Don't drill new holes just yet...

Try moving the antenna to a location that allows you to point it in a NW direction... Free of obstructions such as your house and trees. Experiment... Try a higher location provided you can reach it safely.

Your choice of antenna is good based on the data in tour reports. 5' AGL is a bit low in most cases.

Old 30-Nov-2013, 1:53 AM   #6
fivehokies

Question ClearStream 4?

Assuming I installed the higher antenna stand, should I consider an alternative antenna at the same time like a ClearStream 4 or just see what the RCA can do at a higher elevation?

Thanks.
Old 30-Nov-2013, 1:56 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

The CS4 is a great UHF only antenna, you have UHF and VHF signals to receive... Stick with the ANT-751 for now.

Old 30-Nov-2013, 5:03 AM   #8
teleview

+=>
--------
As a Test temporary install the ANT751 antenna above the peak of the roof on such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , buy the roof and building in the directions of , North West , North , North East.

Aim the ANT751 antenna at about 310 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

--------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception witha Tv antenna and so do buildings and other obstructions in the directions of reception including your own roof and house in the directions of reception.

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Digital Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

------

The Current Tv channels that are being Transmitted and Received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

Your location has recevable Tv channels in the VHF high band and UHF band.

Tvfool channel list shows the , Real channels , and , (virt) virtual numbers.

An example is ,
WEHT , Real VHF high band channel 7 , (virt) virtual number (25.1) ABC .

The VHF high band channels , 7 and 9 , are subject to interference sources more then the other VHF high band channels.

For improved reception put the ANT751 antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

Last edited by teleview; 30-Nov-2013 at 5:08 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.