TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Feb-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
arkay

Question Signal loss ... due to moving people!

I've been noticing some signal skips (on some channels only) when someone is moving in the room (using indoor antenna Winegard Freevision)!
Why would this happen?
Is there any remedy/trick to get over this issue?

On a separate note, I was checking signal strength for KCAL-TV (Ch 9) and when I get closer to the antenna, the signal would improve a lot and when I touch the antenna, the signal is great !! ... when I get away from the antenna, it is back to no signal

I've heard that some objects affect signal...anyone know which objects need to to avoided to be near the antenna and which objects might even help when kept near the antenna?

Thanks!
arkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2014, 1:41 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Any conductor near the antenna will have an influence on the tuning and operation of the antenna. The human body is conductive, and therefor can act as an antenna element. When in the proximity of a working antenna, the human body will reflect or direct RF energy... In some cases, helping reception, but a movement of just inches changes the interaction and can result in the combination of the real antenna and 'human element' forming a less effective antenna system.

The fix is to use an outdoor antenna. You have stronger signals there. And the antenna will pick up less interference from computers, motors, energy saving light bulbs, etc... And the antenna would also be further from the de-tuning effects of moving people.

Feel free to post a link to your TV Fool reception report if you'd like a suggestion for an antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2014, 2:42 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.??

What floor??

What is the top floor??

What directions do , windows , patios/balconies , face??

-------

Go to the tvfool home page and click on , >>Start MAPS<<.

Use the Exact address and make the antenna height 25 feet above ground.

Make and post the tvfool report for a better antenna recommendation and a above the roof antenna recommendation.
Old 26-Feb-2014, 3:22 AM   #4
arkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Any conductor near the antenna will have an influence on the tuning and operation of the antenna. The human body is conductive, and therefor can act as an antenna element. When in the proximity of a working antenna, the human body will reflect or direct RF energy... In some cases, helping reception, but a movement of just inches changes the interaction and can result in the combination of the real antenna and 'human element' forming a less effective antenna system.

The fix is to use an outdoor antenna. You have stronger signals there. And the antenna will pick up less interference from computers, motors, energy saving light bulbs, etc... And the antenna would also be further from the de-tuning effects of moving people.

Feel free to post a link to your TV Fool reception report if you'd like a suggestion for an antenna.
Ah! thanks....mine is sitting on a Tivo box next to a energy saving bulb (lol)

Tried to put a cardboard next to the antenna shielding it where it open towards light and it made the signal better (for 1 channel ABC)!!

I use a indoor/outdoor antenna - Winegard Freevision Unfortunately, I cannot mount on roof.
TvFool - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94b678f7d17b
Old 26-Feb-2014, 4:26 AM   #5
teleview

+=>
-----
The main group of Tv stations are to the North East and the other group are to the West.

Put the FreeVision antenna in/at a ~North East~ facing window aim the antenna at about 54 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

If a long length of coax is required to connect the antenna that is in/at the window to the Tivo or TV , then so be it , because placing the antenna at a location that is more likely to provide reliable reception is more important then objections to the long length of coax running through the living space.

Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Feb-2014 at 1:44 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 26-Feb-2014, 6:24 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

That's an enviable reception report. With some experimentation re. location and orientation, indoor reception should be fairly easy to make reliable.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2014, 8:47 AM   #7
arkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
That's an enviable reception report. With some experimentation re. location and orientation, indoor reception should be fairly easy to make reliable.
Not much issues with overall reception.. just some random signal disruptions.. which is why I started this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>
-----
The main group of Tv stations are to the North East and the other group are to the West.

Put the FreeVision antenna in/at a ~North East~ facing window aim the antenna at about 54 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

If a long length of coax is required to connect the antenna that is in/at the window to the Tivo or TV , then so be it , because reliable reception is more important then objections to the long length of coax running through the living space.

Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.
Looks from that link that I might need to point in the upward angle assuming my antenna is An All Band UHF-VHF-FM
I can't seem to find my compass, so I need to get one just to get the most optimal direction. When I get it, I'll reset it and try double scan.

Thanks!
Old 26-Feb-2014, 9:40 PM   #8
arkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>
-----
Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.??

What floor??

What is the top floor??

What directions do , windows , patios/balconies , face??

-------

Go to the tvfool home page and click on , >>Start MAPS<<.

Use the Exact address and make the antenna height 25 feet above ground.

Make and post the tvfool report for a better antenna recommendation and a above the roof antenna recommendation.
oh wow that Start MAPS shows some good info indeed! Thanks!