TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Jul-2011, 6:10 PM   #1
foo

Few OTA reception questions(yes another one of these threads)

I live in middle TN & about 40miles from Nashville, which is where most of broadcast stations are located.

Here's my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03f3a9def457a9

As with most, I'm trying to move away from sat tv to OTA programming. I could honestly care less about getting ALL possible channels. I just want to get ABC/NBC/CBS(important)/ & Fox (important)....rest are just icing on the cake.

Here's what I have:
  • Antennas Direct 91XG UHF TV Antenna
  • CM7777 pre-amp

I've put it in my attic mounted to a pvc pipe. I've been able to EASILY get roughly 20-25channels at a time. ABC always comes in clear as does (fox at some positions). I'm having a hell of a time getting CBS/NBC to come in. Can anyone look at my report & my setup & let me know if it's my setup or just possibly my location or something else on my end? (i have just plastic siding on my house(besides brick only in front) (pic of house - north side is the back of my house...so it's only going through normal wood/roofing that you see in the image)

Hopefully, I've included enough info to at least get some suggestions/ideas. Thanks guys

edit: When I said the northern side of my house was the back, this is what I see when looking from my back yard towards the north:
I've read trees do affect the signal quite a bit, and this image was taken during the Fall too. So you can imagine how much more signal blockage I'm getting. IS this probably my sole reason I'm have such a hard time finding CBS? It's really the only channel that I cannot seem to pickup. ABC/NBC(sometimes)/Fox seem to come in OK a majority of the places/direction I point my antenna.

Last edited by foo; 25-Jul-2011 at 6:53 PM.
foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2011, 8:59 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I recommend a Winegard HD7082P antenna connected to the CM7777 preamp. The HD7082P antenna is a all channel antenna that receives all the channels , VHF low 2 thru 6 , VHF high 7 thru 13 , UHF 14 thru 69. WTVF is being transmitted on UHF 50 - it is a weak transmission that you are not receiving with the 91XG . WTVF is all so being transmitted on VHF low 5 - it is a strong transmission that will be received by the HD7082P. Also WNPT VHF high 8 and WSMV VHF high 10 will be received by the HD7082P. Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695

Last edited by John Candle; 25-Jul-2011 at 9:57 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2011, 9:10 PM   #3
John Candle

It will be helpful if the HD7082P antenna can be mounted higher then 15 feet , say 25 feet. Try the HD7082P at 15 feet if you get reliable reception then Ok. If not then go higher , Here are some different mounts , chimney mount CM9067Y - http://www.eham.net/libraries/download/430/Photo_A.jpg note that the straps are far apart this makes the antenna more stable. Next is tri pod mount - http://www.antennacraft.net/Manuals/10Y203_manual_.pdf . Next is a eave mount - http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Perfect/PVEM1.gif
Old 25-Jul-2011, 9:15 PM   #4
foo

Bummer. Already bought this antenna too. Eeesh. Thanks for the replies John
Old 25-Jul-2011, 9:51 PM   #5
John Candle

The popular Opinion and Myth is that all tv channels are UHF channels , this is not true. WTVF-DR 25 is also in the tvfool list , this transmitter was not built because the channel 50 transmitter was built instead.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
.... WTVF-DR 25 is also in the tvfool list , this transmitter was not built because the channel 50 transmitter was built instead.

This is not accurate. The UHF-50 transmitter was fired up two years ago as a translator with an STA to operate at 100K ERP to help with the dismal channel 5 indoor reception that was discovered post-transition. Recently, WTVF has applied for and received permission to construct a 1,000 KW UHF 25 plant to replace the UHF 50 and the VHF-5 signal. I haven't talked to the CE down there for a few months, but last I heard, they were hoping to get it built this year. Once the UHF 25 facility is completed, a 2-69 antenna is unneeded.

Quote:
I'm having a hell of a time getting CBS/NBC to come in.
Your NBC station is on a high-VHF allotment as is your closer PBS station. You'll likely have to add a high-VHF antenna to get them reliably.

I also suspect that your TVFool plot isn't telling us the whole story about your terminal terrain. Sometimes, the local conditions make the plots over-optimistic. If you were to get the 91XG out of the building's envelope, you will likely find that reception reliability improves substantially.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
John Candle

Getting the antenna out of building envelope means mounting the antenna outside of building and higher then the top of the roof or higher and away from the building so the antenna is not effected by the building. Also the part about the channel 5 reception with a indoor antenna. I am not recommending a indoor antenna for VHF low band channel 5 reception , I am recommending a Large Hi Gain outdoor antenna for the reception of channel 5. And I am recommending a Large Hi Gain antenna for the reception of the VHF high channels of 7 thru 13. That antenna is the HD7082P antenna. . You can receive real channels , 5 , 8 , 10 now with the HD7082P. Or you can wait and see -'if'- channel 25 come on the air. But then you would still have , 8 and 10 to deal with , with the UHF 91XG antenna.

Last edited by John Candle; 26-Jul-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
John Candle

I recommend mounting the HD7082P antenna above the roof. You can also try mounting the 91XG antenna above the roof and see what is received.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 1:22 AM   #9
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo View Post

Hopefully, I've included enough info to at least get some suggestions/ideas. Thanks guys
Your UHF only antenna is the problem. I'd add a cheap CS600 to the VHF input of the 7777 preamp and switch the internal switch to separate.

When 5 moves to 25 you won't need to do anything and the CS600 will continue to pick up VHF channels WSMV and WNPT.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2011, 8:28 AM   #10
John Candle

The CS600 is a low gain , VHF low is 2.3dB and VHF high is 5.5dB suburban close range antenna. The HD7082P is a high gain , VHF low is 6.3 dB and VHF high is 10 dB long range antenna.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
foo

The bad part about all of this is that I'm not sure if I have the option of mounting an antenna on my rooftop. Is it it at least worth trying to see if it'll work from my attic?

Great info. Definitely going to be an active reader at this site/forum from now on. Seems there is plenty to learn. Thank you again for the great replies!

Last edited by foo; 26-Jul-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
No static at all

Is a relatively small outdoor antenna doable? If so, I would consider the Winegard Ghost Killer mounted on the roof. It is a decent all around performer & will likely work as well on UHF as the 91-XG does inside the attic.

While the gain figures of the Ghost Killer are not published, I have found it to work quite well with signal strengths similar to yours.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
foo

Yeah, I suppose a relatively small one might be doable. Will look into it
Old 26-Jul-2011, 3:35 PM   #14
John Candle

Why would you not have option of mounting out side?? If it is because of hoa's and etc. , Then here is the Federal Law that says Yes you can. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Last edited by John Candle; 26-Jul-2011 at 3:37 PM.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 3:42 PM   #15
foo

Yep. That was my initial thought, violating HOA. My neighborhood seems to be somewhat strict on it (stupidly, only about certain issues though). That link def helps reassure me though. Thx man
Old 26-Jul-2011, 4:55 PM   #16
John Candle

Read the , Links to Relevant Orders and the Rule , at the bottom and you will understand that hoa's have repeatedly Lost with there attempets to stop people from installing and using Tv antennas on there own property.