TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Apr-2012, 4:27 PM   #1
backtrack9

Is it my TV Internal Digital Tuner or Antenna Reception?

I need some help diagnosing whether I have an issue with my TV's internal digital tuner or with my antenna setup. I am having an issue with a specific channel, Channel 29.1 here in San Antonio (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3616d409f26954). The problem is a loss of signal only experienced when cycling the channel (either up or down) from 29.1. While watching this channel I receive a solid constant signal of 26db (as shown on the TV's strength meter) without fluctuation or drop-out. If I switch channels, say down to 12.1, and then back to 29.1 the signal drops to 0db. If I repeat the channel cycling a few times the signal for 29.1 magically jumps back to 26db. This issue only started a few days ago. For the past 11 months I have had this TV unit (Samsung Plasma PN59D6500) and antenna setup (attic mounted, non-amplified, homemade DB4) all of the signals have been >24db without any fluctuation. I am worried it is an issue with the internal digital tuner in my TV set. I called Samsung and spoke with the manager of the service department who insisted it is an issue with my antenna setup and not a problem with the TV (seemed like a standard pass-the-buck answer to me). I disagreed since the signal is lost only upon cycling the channel. He was not willing to address this as a warranty issue. My factory 12 month warranty on my TV set expires in two weeks and I need to get this diagnosed quick. Have other people had similar experiences when changing channels or is my TV's internal digital tuner messed up? Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
backtrack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 4:55 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'm tending to agree with you, that this does not sound like an antenna problem.

I suspect that the broadcaster may have changed something recently, and now your set is 'confused'. A full reset and rescan may help it forget the old channel line-up data and 'get it's mind right'.

Both of my larger TVs, (a Toshiba and a Visio) exhibit odd behavior. One gets confused every time the EPG data steam is interrupted at the station... a frequent occurrence with an independent and PBS station here in the Seattle area.

The other set displays virtual channel 9.1 when you try to tune direct to 9.2 or 9.3. You have to tune to 9.1 then use the CH-UP button to get the TV to display the desired sub-channel.

In both cases I suspect that both the station and TV are partially at fault. Getting one to claim the the blame hasn't happened yet.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 5:21 PM   #3
signals unlimited

I agree. The problem is due to a station change. A double rescan may fix. First remove the coax from your set and scan. This will clear out old information. Then reconnect your coax and scan. If this does not fix the problem, report it to the stations engineering department. Sometimes their PCIP generator parameters are wrong and they may not be aware untill reported.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
backtrack9

Partial improvement

I would like to say thank you to everyone who has commented on this issue. I did the "double rescan" two times in a row to be sure the old information was overwritten. The outcome was not 100% fixed but more like 75%. It still has the problem of 0db signal after channel cycling, but not nearly as often as before. So with this additional info, does it sound more like a TV component issue or should I wait for awhile to see if the station fixes settings which may be causing this issue? Thank you again for all of your help.
backtrack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The issue is most likley a little of both the Tv station and the Tv. You can call the Tv station and communicate with the engineering department. And you can push the issues and get a different Tv.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote