TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Feb-2011, 8:03 PM   #1
ioky

What is really getting the signal, and How can I improve my setup

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum. So if did something silly please let me know. and Thanks for the great website

I am current experimenting with this "Antenna Stuff". (Seem pretty cool to me)

So without too much of background knowledges. There are few things that kind of corners me a bit.

So Here is my antenna and TV: Dynex DX-15L150A11

As you can see it is a bit "funny" looking. I modify from the well known Gray Hoverman antenna, with some fractal elements (Yes, I know it is side way. I did that just so it fit on my board the way it is. I did test it vertically though.) As you can see it is an in-door antenna. And I am not yet interested to do exterior antenna testing for now. (well... It is winter...) Just want to focus on in-door antenna for now.

The antenna is connected to a 300ohm to 75ohm transformer. Here is the funny thing. Even without the "antenna" the Transformer alone is able detect all 19 channels I get with my antenna attach, the only difference is, I get much stronger signal with the antenna. (this makes me wonder how much better I am actually getting with this antenna.)

The other funny is neither with or without the antenna, I am not able to get any analog Channels, for my local area, which for fact, I know there is still at least one very locate station that is broadcasting with analog signal. (Well my other TV with a built in antenna is getting that, so I know for sure.) So I just wonder is it hard to get analog then digital signal?

I do want to get these analog channel though.

NOTE: I also did tested an antenna I get from store, hoping I can get some analog channel (it did not)... I get all the channels I get with mine (no more, no less). But the signal is not as good. so... I return it.

In term of Channel I am getting. Here is my report for TVFool

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e07c64b981129d

base on the image I show. The antenna is "facing" North-ish eastern... (Not totally sure.)

I am getting almost everything in Green. expect for channel 62.1 (Ind) and 48.1 (Ind). I do wonder why I am not getting all these (Ind) channel. and I can get Channel 66.1 depend on where I put my Antenna which is 25.5mile away. So I guess this is pretty good. (for the very first antenna I ever made.) for Channel 38.1, I can ever get a really strong signal for some reason, it is good enough... but not the best, it is like 3/4 (base on the scale my TV show... kind of like the one way I can measure the strength of the signal anyway. )

I don't know. So I am wondering is there anyway I can improve signal gain. My goal is to get MynetworkTV or at least getting some "yellow" channel on the report. So I guess to find a way to increase NM(dB) is the key?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ALLTV%26n%3d27

This one, but again, I don't know if this possible. (with an in-door antenna)

Here is few general Question I would like to ask:
is there any better way to get Path: "edge diffracted" signal?
is adding a reflector a good idea? in case of when?
Should I add an amplifier? and what kind of amplifier I should Get? if Possible How to make one.

Thanks for your time, and help.

Last edited by ioky; 14-Feb-2011 at 8:09 PM.
ioky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

I like the fractal antenna on the cork board-modern art. Each digital channel can transmit sub channels of what is commonly known as 'Tv channels' , usulay 1 to 4. Audio only channels can also be transmitted and also data. Modern Tv's are really computers , that display what is commonly known as Tv channels. . The reason the 'Tv channels' can be received with the matching transformer only is because the transmission are VERY Strong. Here is inflammation about aiming Tv antennas , yours is aimed like a flat panel UHF antenna , one of the flat sides directed at the Tv station , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html , the circuit boards and metal objects that are placed in between the metal elements of the antenna interfer with the fractal tuning of the antenna. Here is information about Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695

Last edited by John Candle; 15-Feb-2011 at 12:12 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2011, 4:00 AM   #3
ioky

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
I like the fractal antenna on the cork board-modern art. Each digital channel can transmit sub channels of what is commonly known as 'Tv channels' , usulay 1 to 4. Audio only channels can also be transmitted and also data. Modern Tv's are really computers , that display what is commonly known as Tv channels. . The reason the 'Tv channels' can be received with the matching transformer only is because the transmission are VERY Strong. Here is inflammation about aiming Tv antennas , yours is aimed like a flat panel UHF antenna , one of the flat sides directed at the Tv station , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html , the circuit boards and metal objects that are placed in between the metal elements of the antenna interfer with the fractal tuning of the antenna. Here is information about Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
Thank you John, This clarify a lot of problems that doesn't seem making any sense to me at all. If I am not mistaking, That means, I am not really getting any VHF. (any idea on how can I make an antenna that get VHF?)

I will eventually make the "back bone" of the antenna, instead of just pin them on the board. I making thinking to test few other shape before I finalize which one I am going to use. so I am also wondering, if I put to panel antenna "back to back" and with a reflector in between. Will I get better single more direction? or it will make thinks worse?
Old 15-Feb-2011, 1:37 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioky View Post
My goal is to get MynetworkTV or at least getting some "yellow" channel on the report. .
WNAC in Providence carries My Net on their subchannel.

Try a VHF antenna such as the Y5-7-13 and use a UVSJ to combine it with your UHF antenna.

Your fractal antenna looks vertically polarized to me. Perhaps it works better that way because it's mis-aimed.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

UHF antennas will receive VHF Tv transmissions at reduced reception ability. When the VHF transmissions are strong , thats Ok. However when the VHF transmissions are weak then the reduced reception ability does make a difference. Here are a two web sites that explane antenna wave lengths and resonating antenna lengths and a lot more about Tv transmission and reception. http://www.hdtvprimer.com , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/antennadex.html

Last edited by John Candle; 16-Feb-2011 at 12:39 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2011, 7:42 AM   #6
ioky

UVSJ seem exactly what I am looking for to combine antenna in the next sphase of my "experiment". Thanks for this valuable info. (as I mention before, I am almost like a totally ignorant in term of TV.)

Great Sites, John, but what excatly is "reduced reception ability"?