TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Apr-2014, 2:31 AM   #1
madvad

Antenna advice for the hilly/rocky north shore of LI

I'm in Centerport, NY and would like to receive "local" NYC channels, CBS 2, NBC 4, FOX 5, WPIX 11, PBS 13.

Here's my report. I plan to install the antenna in the attic, over 20 feet in the air, which I think should be sufficient to get the channels based on my limited understanding of the report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94eb35f29e87

Any antenna recommendations and corresponding setup would be greatly appreciated.
madvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Apr-2014, 4:30 AM   #2
technicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvad View Post
I'm in Centerport, NY and would like to receive "local" NYC channels, CBS 2, NBC 4, FOX 5, WPIX 11, PBS 13.

Here's my report. I plan to install the antenna in the attic, over 20 feet in the air, which I think should be sufficient to get the channels based on my limited understanding of the report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94eb35f29e87

Any antenna recommendations and corresponding setup would be greatly appreciated.
Your taking 50% of your signal and throwing it away when u mount it in an attic. I strongly advise against. Even with a rooftop install, your numbers are not great. But imho, doable.

If u MUST go with a attic installation, go with the winegard 8200u. They are on sale right now on amazon for $105. If the attic, installation does not work, you've got a monster antenna that should hit those channels rooftop.

Last edited by technicolor; 4-Apr-2014 at 4:34 AM.
technicolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Apr-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
madvad

I said attic hoping that's as high as I would need to go, but my primary concern is good reception so never mind about that setup. For outside, would you still recommend the same antenna or a different "monster?" Thank you.
Old 5-Apr-2014, 2:41 AM   #4
tonyp063

I know where you are & the limitations you're facing. I've family in Ft. Salonga & Kings Park.

Don't bother focusing on the NYC stations. You're too far under the bluff.
The ones across the Sound will come in well with an AntennasDirect DB4e

Aim it about 45 degrees, magnetic, to start. You may be pleasantly surprised.
tonyp063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Apr-2014, 2:49 AM   #5
tonyp063

oh and.
The 8200 is more than you need. There's *no* lo-vhf to look for. You don't need that monster.

If you must get the stuff out of the City, a Winegard HD7697P aimed at 265 magnetic might work.
Might not.
tonyp063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Apr-2014, 4:07 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

I agree, go with an outdoor antenna, mounted to avoid obstructions such s trees or neighboring buildings.

Looking at the report you posted, and the path profile of the NYC signals, I see no reason not to try for them. The HD7697P or HD7698P would be a good option. The Antennacraft HBU-55 is another.

A premium option would be the Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Apr-2014, 6:15 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

While I agree that the lack of available Low-VHF signals argues against the use of the HD8200U in this situation, and it's a large antenna... 'monster' seems a bit harsh... how about 'big and glorious'?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2014, 11:51 PM   #8
madvad

Thanks to everyone for their input. It took awhile, but I finally pulled the trigger and did the install on my roof today. I purchased DB8E with the RCA preamp, aimed one arm of the DB8E at 260, the other at 40. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get good reception for NBC, FOX and WOR from the city.

I didn't get a VHF antenna yet, so I'm not getting high VHF channels, 7 ABC, 11 WPIX, or 13 WNET, but I'm also not getting CBS 2. CBS seems to be broadcasting from the same location as other stations on which I'm getting good UHF pickup so I'm at a loss.
Old 7-Sep-2014, 12:50 AM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
aimed one arm of the DB8E at 260, the other at 40.
That's why you're not getting WCBS.

The FCC allowed channel 33 to be used in both NYC and in Hartford. Your antenna is likely picking up both and they're interfering with each other which results in neither being received. However, WCBS does operate a translator on channel 22 due east of you out on the Island. Try aiming due east and see if your TV set allows you to specify tuning that channel (22). Some sets, notably a number or LG and Samsung, allow such direct access tuning.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote