TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Apr-2013, 3:47 PM   #1
kris1351

Antannae Assistance

I am looking to dump our DirecTV as we mostly only watch locals and movies so we are paying a lot for very little. Where we are the antennae needs to be in the attic of possible, but if I find a sleek looking one I may be able to replace the dish on the j-pole on the roof that is already there. Suggestions on what would work for us would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda75900ec747
kris1351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2013, 4:42 PM   #2
kris1351

New Antannae Assistance

New to HDOTA and have a good report I think. We have a DirecTV dish up and can mount on that pole as long as it is a sleek looking antennae and not an eyesore according to the HOA. If there is a good attic mount we have lots of open space with no ducts in the way also.

Everything comes in from the single dish currently into splitters for each room. We are only looking to provide for 3 TVs in the house eventually.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda75900ec747
kris1351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2013, 8:58 PM   #3
elmo

Well, if you are concerned about the HOA, don't be. You have the right by federal law to put up an antenna that gets you good reception. When an antenna like a HD7000R would get you everything on a 3 ft mount, they would maybe have an issue with a 100' tower. HOA's like to word it as if they have the right, but they have no legal grounds for TV reception. I think I may have one of the only houses in my neighborhood that has an antenna on the roof, that I can tell. Could be some attic installs that I don't know about. I do see quite a few dishes though.

Now, if you want something that is less likely to stir up a tuesday neighborhood night meeting, the HD7000R I mentioned may work for you. It's rated for full UHF/VHF performance. On the roof, aimed at a clear southern horizon, it should do well for you. It's a decent price and a good little performer, basically the same size as the avg dish, with a lot less profile than a dish, IMO. Another choice might be the Antennas Direct C2-V. It's got good performance as well.

I always suggest getting connected to just one TV at first. No splitters, no preamps, nothing more. Keep it simple and you have less possible issues to troubleshoot. Then, when it's all good, you can put in a splitter to feed the other two TV's. If the signal drops out because of the losses caused by the split, you may need an amp to help deliver a solid signal to each TV. At that time, you can easily add that.

Good luck and keep us posted. Don't be afraid to ask more questions or get more opinions either.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote