TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Apr-2013, 2:10 PM   #1
Jake

Need Help - Wanna cut the cable!!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good advice you give everyone on this forum! I’ve been reading for quite a while and have decided to see how the TV reception would be with an antenna before I cut the cable.

Here is my report… http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddaf1b3703fdb

-This will be an attic installation (A-framed roof), probably 22 feet off the ground. Asphalt shingles.
-The coax will need to be about a 40 foot run down to the basement. Currently there is a 4 port RCA amplified splitter which feeds 4 tv’s.

I’m wondering if I can get a recommendation on an HD antenna for local channels, any splitter / amplifier, and even what gauge or brand coax to use.

Thanks in advance!!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2013, 7:17 PM   #2
red_dog007

You have a powered splitter, so you should be good there. Don't think you will need a preamp at 40ft with RG6 and a distribution amp.

Ideal to run RG6 cable.

I'd recommend a Winegard HD7694P. That is what I have. The distance to the towers for me is about the same as yours, but mine are not LOS. Mine are 1Edge with a couple 2Edge and they all come in loud and clear, even the ones in yellow. 70~100%. The stuff that is at 70% is hitting the antenna from the side.
Tough for $25, a Winegard HD7000R might be plenty enough for you.

Most your stuff is at 284° with some stuff coming in at 180°. This could call for two antennas. Though go over to www.rabbitears.info and plug in your address. It brings up what networks you'd get just like everyone else, but it also shows what channels you'd get and what broadcasts on each channel. I'm thinking that everything at 180° will just be duplicates of what you will get at 284°.

Actually, just noticed, ABC is broadcast in Lo-VHF so will need a compatible antenna. Not sure about a Lo-VHF antenna.
red_dog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Another option is the Antennas Direct Clear Stream 5. It was designed as a VHF antenna but either by luck or chance has proven to be a capable UHF antenna in strong and moderate signal conditions such as yours. In the UHF range, it tends to behave as an omnidirectional so it can give you coverage to the south while pointed west.

If you have trouble with reception of the signals on real CH-4 & 6, consider adding an Antennacraft CS600 or Winegard YA6260. You would need a High/Low Signal Joiner to combine into a single down-lead.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Apr-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote