TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Feb-2013, 8:01 PM   #1
gnu male

reception near South Mountain

Please see my report here:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda02d2e05568

Do you have any suggestions about an antenna setup that will allow good reception of KPHO, KAET, KSAZ, KPNX, and KNXV. The are all coming from the same direction, all quite close, and all listed as 1 edge or 2 edges.

I can do a 25 foot elevation increase with a roof mount, but that does not seem to help at all see:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda74d63efe20

I thank you for your help.
gnu male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2013, 8:48 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The close in obstructing terrain may force you to a large directional antenna. Not because you need the gain, but because you may find you've got signal bouncing from several directions. A more directional antenna can help by receiving less multipath. The close in terrain can also make the TVFR predicted signal strength a bit optimistic.

I'd suggest at least a Winegard HD7694P, though the 7698 would not be overkill.

Resist the temptation to add any sort of amplifier to the system.

If you go large, you'll have the option to point toward Tucson if you like.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 17-Feb-2013 at 8:50 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
teleview

Your location is in the Tv signal shadow of South Mountain.

Are the houses wrapped with stucko Wire , stucko Wire makes a perfect Tv signal reflector and indoor reception will be Real Bad.

Having Tv antenna in the Tv signal reception shadow of a house that is blocking the direction to the Tv transmitters on South Mountain will also produce Bad Reception.

As a ->Test<- of reception , go to Lowes and buy a ANT751 antenna.

Also buy 6 , 5 foot sections of antenna mast pipe , install the ANT751 on the mast pipe to use as a probe.

Also buy a New loooong coax to connect to the ANT751 and run the New long coax through a open door or window , direct to 1 Tv.
No couplers , No grounding couplers , No splitters , No nothing.

The coax goes direct to the Tv.

You can probe with the antenna higher and lower above ground at locations close to your house and away from the house.

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the , OTA= Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital tv's will automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select , 'Air Channels' / 'Antenna Channels'.

Last edited by teleview; 20-Feb-2013 at 7:26 AM.
Old 11-Apr-2013, 1:56 PM   #4
gnu male

Red face some improvement, but think my location is too obstructed

I tried the ANT 751. Straight run from a roof mount to the TV. Not much better than a rabbit ears setup for the channels we watch most. Reception is terrible on 5.1 all the time. Channel 8.1 has improved reception in the evening, but still seems poor during the daytime (does that make sense?).

I would go for something that gives good reception on these two, but poorer reception on higher numbered channels. Is there an antenna system that is particularly good at this range (channels 5 thru 8) in an obstructed location? I don't want to spend a lot of money experimenting, because Hulu plus programming and fees look like an acceptable alternative.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-Apr-2013, 2:35 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu male View Post
I tried the ANT 751. Straight run from a roof mount to the TV. Not much better than a rabbit ears setup for the channels we watch most.
This might sound crazy, but a VHF antenna aimed at KAET, KSAZ and KPNX coupled with a UHF antenna aimed at 130 degrees should get all major networks. The further networks are line of sight.

VHF Y10-7-13

UHF 91XG

add them together with a UVSJ
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2013, 4:24 PM   #6
teleview

Did you use the mast pipe section and sections and the ANT751 and walk around your property - probing lower to the ground and higher above the ground - for the best reception??

Is there a house in the direction of the transmitters on South Mountain that is higher/taller then your house and is blocking reception??

If so , can you probe for reception at locations on your property that provide a better ~~view , of South Mountain transmitters.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Apr-2013 at 2:54 AM.
Old 11-Apr-2013, 6:17 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu male View Post
I tried the ANT 751. Straight run from a roof mount to the TV. Not much better than a rabbit ears setup for the channels we watch most. Reception is terrible on 5.1 all the time. Channel 8.1 has improved reception in the evening, but still seems poor during the daytime (does that make sense?).

I would go for something that gives good reception on these two, but poorer reception on higher numbered channels. Is there an antenna system that is particularly good at this range (channels 5 thru 8) in an obstructed location? I don't want to spend a lot of money experimenting, because Hulu plus programming and fees look like an acceptable alternative.

Thanks for any advice.
It sounds as if you are referring to the channels by their virtual ID. Antenna selection is based on the real channel number which is listed on your TV Fool report. In this case, virtual channel 8.1 happens to be broadcast on real channel 8 but virtual channel 5.1 is broadcast on real channel 17. All of the antennas or combinations of antennas mentioned up to this point are designed to receive the High-VHF real channels, 7 through 13 and the UHF channels 14 and higher.

If you have investigated all available antenna locations by moving the ANT-751 about as teleview has suggested, the larger antennas already mentioned are more directional and may be able to reduce the effects of multi-path interference.

You may also want to try adding an inline FM trap (filter). Radio Shack usually stocks one.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 11-Apr-2013 at 6:18 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 18-Apr-2013, 1:22 PM   #8
gnu male

I guess I'm giving up. From most of my property the view of South Mountain is unobstructed. Nowhere on my property has a view of the transmitters there. The mountain is in the way. I'm going to live with the reception I have. I have tried my ant 751 all over my property, and have no luck with KPHO virtual 5.1 real 17. Found a spot where all the other channels that we watch are strong. The bad channel, KPHO (CBS affiliate), I can stream a lot of the programming one day after broadcast, and stream some of their sports live. The cheap FM trap from Radio shack did not help. Did not try a larger antenna.
Old 18-Apr-2013, 6:10 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

It sounds like you've done a lot of work... I wish you had been able to find better results. This is the sort of case where I wish I was next door... in case there was something I could have done to help first hand.
Old 19-Apr-2013, 7:04 AM   #10
teleview

The tvfool radar report and channel list shows that the Tucson Digital Tv channels are receivable at your location.

Aim the antenna at about 120 degree magnetic compass direction and do a double rescan to clear out the tuner for a fresh scan you the Tucson channels.

http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.
Old 20-Apr-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
gnu male

Success! Thanks to all. The service you provide is really appreciated. Special thanks to Teleview. Aiming at Tucson brought in their CBS affiliate without hurting reception of the Phoenix channels we watch. For now, my TV's channel guide doesn't understand. It thinks 13 is the Phoenix Univision station, when its really Tucson's CBS affiliate KOLD. I will see if re-scanning fixes that, but if not, I can live with it. I've cut my monthly TV bill from $135 to $0. Thanks again. Gotta go 'This Old House' is coming on.