TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Jun-2012, 9:46 PM   #1
fitchetm

Antenna/Set-up recommendation, Almont MI

Hey everyone,
I've been reading through the site and trying to figure out the best set-up for me and figured it would just be best to lay the info out there and let the people who know more than me offer some help

I'm located in Almont, MI: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349d086cd65d1

I'm just looking for the normal channels (FOX, CBS, PBS) or whatever else I can pick up easily (definitely need something good for the kids).

I have a south facing chimney wall that I will use for mounting (at approximately 20ft or I can go higher if needed). No trees for approximately 100ft from house.

One tv for now approximately 20ft from antenna location.. another tv to follow that will be downstairs so.. approx. 50ft from antenna.

So far, I'm thinking of getting the atennas direct 91XG on amazon or the antennas direct DB8 (not sure which one suits my situation better).

Also, Do I need a pre-amp and should I go with a two antenna configuration or a motor mount?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and i'm looking forward to the input.

Thansk,
matt

Last edited by fitchetm; 11-Jun-2012 at 9:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to add info about trees.
fitchetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jun-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Electron

ALL questions and answers about Tv reception and more.

A Electron Recommendation for Tv Reception.

Aim a HD7698P antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp at about 183 degree magnetic compass.
Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing.html.

Many , many , many , many , American and some Canada stations/channels will be received.

Here are some roof top antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal buy typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Last edited by Electron; 25-Aug-2012 at 4:30 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jun-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Electron

ALL questions and answers about Tv reception and more.

The Tv's must scan for the broadcast Tv channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the tv transmissions travel throught the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by Electron; 25-Aug-2012 at 4:32 PM.
Old 28-Jun-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
fitchetm

What about Antenna height?

Thanks Electron for your input. I've decided to go with your recommendations but I still have a few questions:
1. How much affect will antenna height have at my location.. I'm currently planning on mounting at around 25' but how many more channels would I get if I went to say... 40' antenna height? I've got no trees around my house for about 100 yards in any direction.

2. Is the preamp you recommended suitable for outside? Can I mount it right to the antenna mast/pole that I will be using for the antenna?

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks,
matt
Old 29-Jun-2012, 1:57 AM   #5
Electron

ALL questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

Question 2.
As with the recommended preamp , all most all preamps are designed as 2 parts. The outside part that is the actual signal preamp and is mounted close to the antenna , and the inside part that is the power supply/power injector part.
The power is fed to the outside part through the coax.

For one Tv connected no splitter is used.

For more then one Tv connected I recommend Holland Electronics splitters.

http://www.hollandelectronics.com , http://www.solidsignal.com

For 2 Tv's connected use a HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv,s connected use a HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a HFS-4D , 4way splitter.

Question 1.
Going to 40 feet antenna height will improve the reliability of weak station like W47DL-D UHF channel 47 and get a few more Tv stations that have less signal strength.

Here are some ways to go higher with the antenna.

http://www.palcoelectronics.com/pe300.aspx.

http://www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html

Last edited by Electron; 25-Aug-2012 at 4:34 PM.
Old 30-Jun-2012, 4:40 PM   #6
fitchetm

Lower UHF channel question

Thanks again Electron, I appreciate you fast answers

Last one hopefully: I was about to place the order for the hardware and noticed that they claim the winegard HD7698P antenna is designed for channels 7-69 on most sites that carry it. The radar plot shows two channel designations (Real and Virtual)... so lets say WDIV-DT (NBC), shows Real channel of 45, but virtual of 4.1. So my question is when the antenna says it's rated for channels 7-69, are they referring to what I see as the Real or the Virtual.

The reason I'm asking is that I've seen other antennas that claim LOW-VHF and state it's good for channels 2-51 (ie. Winegard HD7084P). So, since on my radar map, if I go by the Virtual channel column, I would be able to get FOX and NBC if I went with this model. I do see that it has a shorter range (60 vs 65).

Looking forward to your response.
Matt
Old 30-Jun-2012, 7:48 PM   #7
signals unlimited

The real channels in the TVF radar are the channels refered to in the manufacture specifications.

There is no harm in using an all channel 2-51 antenna, but the low VHF section of that type of an antenna has larger elements that are not of any use if you have no existing or planed low (2-6) real channels in your area.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2012, 9:35 PM   #8
Electron

The Real Channels are in fact the Real Channels that are transmitted and received.

Tv antennas are selected for reception by the real and actual channels that are being transmitted and received.

Virtual channel numbers are in most cases the Legacy Analog channel Number that Tv station transmitted on before the change to digital transmission.

The main reason for keeping the old channel 'number' is known as , Tv station channel branding , it is the channel that the Tv station transmitted all those years analog transmission.

Some Tv stations have kept the old analog 'number' even though the Tv station may or may not be transmitting on the old channel.

Many Tv stations moved out of the VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 because of the higher incendence of natural earth electrical interference and manmade electrical and electronic interference to , Digital Tv Transmission and Reception , and moved to the UHF channels 14 thru 51 and VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 where there is less interference.

There are Tv stations that choose to stay in the VHF low band of 2 thru 6.

The tvfool radar report plot is not showing any current Tv stations transmitting on 2 thru 6.
And is not showing any pending applications for 2 thru 6 for your location.

The HD7698P antenna is longer but not as wide as the HD7084P.

The HD7084P is not as long as the HD7698P but it is wider.

The HD7698P is 14 feet long by 4.5 feet wide.

The HD7084P is 11 feet long by 9 feet wide.

You can install a HD7084P and be ready for 2 thru 6 if a Digital Tv station starts transmitting on a 2 thru 6 channel.

Currently (and that might change) it is not likely that a Tv station would begin transmitting a digital signal on any of the channels 2 thru 6 that would be receivable at your location.

More information:

Some Tv stations moved from a UHF channel to a VHF high band channel , the station may or may not have kept the old number even though the station is transmitting on a different channel.

And some Tv stations moved from a VHF high band channel to UHF channel.

And a few Tv stations changed from a UHF or VHF high band to a VHF low Band channel even though there is more interference in the VHF low band.

Last edited by Electron; 25-Aug-2012 at 4:35 PM.
Old 1-Jul-2012, 3:25 PM   #9
fitchetm

On its way!

Thanks guys for all the help and useful info.

I've got the 7698 antenna and preamp on order!!!! Can't wait to get them here and see how it all comes together.

I'll let you guys know once I'm up and running.

Thanks again!!
Old 2-Jul-2012, 8:42 AM   #10
Electron

I am very interested in the reception also.

It is great when the person is getting reception and reports with some details of the reception.

Last edited by Electron; 25-Aug-2012 at 4:36 PM.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 4:28 AM   #11
fitchetm

Updates: Its here!

So, I got my antenna and preamp delivered a few days ago. Finally got time to put it together (pretty simple, no complaints here). I don't have my roof mount yet, so I decided to just hook it up (without the preamp) and see what happens. Well, my tv already memorized 20 channels (although a few were too weak when I tuned them in) and the reception is very good. I didn't use a compass to point since its' just sitting on my back deck right now, but basically pointed it roughly due south.

You guys have been awesome with your help and I'm really excited to see what I get when I roof mount this sucker!

I"m also thinking now that a rotor might be something I want to look into; do you have any suggestions??

Also, when I get it roof mounted, I'll update the forum with my reception details... do you guys have a specific area or format you like to see it in?

And lastly, this is a two parter: 1. I have some older rg6 cable in my basement, do the cables usually show any degradation in signal as the cable gets older? 2. I have shorter pieces that I can chain together using male-to-male connectors, but will I see a significant signal loss across these connectors?

Thanks in advance.
matt
Old 8-Jul-2012, 4:54 AM   #12
GroundUrMast

If the coax has had water inside at any time, it should be considered unreliable, best to recycle it. Sharp bends or kinks as well as UV damage and punctures of the jacket are also reasons to discard a section of cable. Otherwise RG6 has an indefinite life expectancy.

You can usually 'get away with' splicing cable with an 'F-barrel' but there is some signal reflection at the splice point which will cause some signal attenuation (less than 1/2 dB when done right). It will very likely work, and I wont tell. On the other hand, it's two more connectors to suspect if you have trouble.

The Enthusiasts Exchange is a good place to post documentation of your build along with reception results.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2012, 7:24 AM   #13
Electron

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

I like to see the Report Backs as continuation of the original post , that way all the information is right there to reference so that it all makes sense without digging here and digging their.

Last edited by Electron; 25-Aug-2012 at 4:37 PM.
Old 22-Aug-2012, 5:06 PM   #14
fitchetm

Latest Updates>>> It's Installed!!!

So, finally finally finally got the antenna and preamp all installed...

My tv now recognizes 31 channels... I've got all the big hitters FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS... and a bunch more...
We did not pay for HD with directtv and my wife already commented about how much better the channels look with the antenna... and its all free (except for upfront hardware cost obviously).

I couldn't be happier!!!

I will record which channels I get and post them in the next few days..

I Do have a new problem though and will start a new thread.... My laptop is approx 5 feet from the tv... and when I turn my laptop on, I lose reception on the tv (for most or all of the channels) The only thing I can think of is that the laptop and tv are both powered off of the same outlet, but maybe someone else has some answers.

Thanks,
matt
Old 22-Aug-2012, 5:39 PM   #15
teleview

Tv Reception.

A Teleview Recommendation for Tv Reception.

Hook up a test coax that is SEPARATE from All other wiring.

And Yes computers can interfere with Tv reception.

And Yes other electric and electronic devices can interfere with Tv reception.

Last edited by teleview; 25-Aug-2012 at 4:27 PM.