TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Sep-2012, 5:23 PM   #1
tvsimpsons

60 miles away from broadcast tower..help

Good Day,

I would like to ask for some help/suggestion with antenna that I can put at the balcony of my apartment other than a Yagi type antenna if possible.

I live in Allentown, PA and this is 60 miles north of Philadelphia where broadcast tower are located..

I only need 4 channels to live..ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS.

here is my TV signal analysis..

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e779e8293b4116

Will a TERK HDTVO work with this far from broadcast tower?

Thank you all!
tvsimpsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2012, 7:43 PM   #2
Tower Guy

You need a larger antenna than the Terk.

ABC from Philly is unlikely, but WNEP should work, so figure on multiple antennas or a rotator.

With your 2 edge signals figure on a 91XG for UHF and a Y10-7-13 for VHF. You'll need a preamp such as the AP-2870.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
teleview

What floor is this , balcony??

What is the top floor of the building??
_____

Please make a tvfool radar plot reports with antenna heights at 25 and 40 feet. To see how much stronger the signal strengths are.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Oct-2012 at 4:07 AM.
Old 8-Sep-2012, 3:35 PM   #4
tvsimpsons

It's a 2-storey apartment.I'm at the second floor.
Old 8-Sep-2012, 9:02 PM   #5
teleview

I can not say how many Digital Tv stations/channels will be received.

A better antenna to use is the Antennas Direct , Clear Stream 2 Complete UHF/VHF antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...VHF-Combo.html.

http://www.antennasdirect.com

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Most likely , up high will provide the best reception , test locations for best reception.

The best way to get the coax from the balcony to in side the apartment is a hole through the wall.

Here is an other way to do it. Flat Coax , Eagle Aspen FC-300LX , http://www.solidsignal.com.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best to locate the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions in the direction of reception.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Oct-2012 at 4:08 AM.
Old 9-Sep-2012, 5:36 PM   #6
tvsimpsons

Ok thanks for the information. I don't mind getting digital TV station. Just these national tv station that shows football during sundays.

So an HDTVo has no chance of getting any good reception for ABC, NBC, Fox and NBC?

Thanks,
Old 9-Sep-2012, 7:47 PM   #7
teleview

I did not say that the HDTVo has no chance.

I said that the CS2 Complete will most likely work better.

You can buy them both , try them both , send one back.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Oct-2012 at 4:08 AM.
Old 9-Sep-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
tvsimpsons

Thank you very much Teleview..will do it.
Old 6-Oct-2012, 1:47 AM   #9
tvsimpsons

Hi Teleview,

Would you recommend Clearstream 4 or 5 for my area too?

60+ miles away from broadcast tower..

Thanks,
Old 6-Oct-2012, 1:50 AM   #10
tvsimpsons

And is it possible to combine clearstream 4 and 5 just in the set-up?

Last edited by tvsimpsons; 6-Oct-2012 at 1:57 AM.
Old 6-Oct-2012, 4:09 AM   #11
teleview

Yes the CS4 and CS5 can be installed , the C5 comes with combiner to connect the CS4 and C5 together on to one coax.

DO NOT connect the CS2 Complete to the CS4/C5.

DO NOT connect the HDTVo to the CS4/C5.

DO NOT connect any other antenna the the CS4/C5.
Old 6-Oct-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
tvsimpsons

Should I connect it to cpa19 pre-amp?

Thanks
Old 6-Oct-2012, 1:47 PM   #13
tuffones

you should, the cpa19 pre-amp is powerful and keep you signal strong (if you get a good signal) I m 60miles away from towers and my signal is 80% strong...with the cpa19
tuffones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2012, 4:58 PM   #14
tvsimpsons

thank you very much!
Old 6-Oct-2012, 8:32 PM   #15
tvsimpsons

By the way, do I still need to ground these outdoor antenna?

Thanks, this is my first time not subscribing to any cable company.
Old 6-Oct-2012, 8:46 PM   #16
GroundUrMast

I recommend outdoor antennas be grounded

Grounding the mast and coax shield are prudent and relatively inexpensive steps that limit the buildup of static-electricity which can damage the tuner. When done correctly, grounding can also reduce the risk caused by a nearby lighting strike.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

Grounding in a basic system is a two step process:

1) Connect a #10 gauge copper wire to the antenna mast. A bronze ground clamp such as the Halex #36020 is well suited for this application. Run the wire directly to the electrical service ground. Avoid sharp bends in the wire. (If the ground wire between the service panel and ground rod is accessible, an Intersystem Bonding Termination devise can be placed onto the ground wire without cutting or disconnecting it. This provides a means to connect the #10 mast ground wire to the existing ground wire close to the ground rod outside the building. If possible, avoid running the new ground wire inside the building, energy from static or electrical storms is best directed to ground before it has any path into the building. The mast ground wire can be bare or insulated, your choice.)

2) Run the coax from the antenna to a location close to the electrical service ground. Install a ground block and with another peice of #10 wire, connect it to the electrical service ground at the same point you connected the mast ground.

I don't recommend short-cuts such as driving a new ground rod that is not connected to the existing electrical service ground. An isolated ground rod often has a high resistance that provides very limited ground connection. The goal is to connect to the same ground system that protects the rest of the home.

Surge protectors located inside outlet strips at the TV, computer or similar devises are worth consideration. A surge protector with a high joule rating is able to absorb more fault energy than a unit with a lower joule rating. Some surge protection units include phone jacks and F-connectors to enable protection of a phone line, coax cable and the power cable(s). However, in the case of an outdoor mounted antenna, this type of protection should not be considered a 'first-line of defense'.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
teleview

The coax from a patio or balcony goes from the patio or balcony to inside the apartment.

I am thinking that the situation here is to get reception with a antenna on the patio or balcony and leave well enough alone.

Running coax and ground wires on the outside of the building is not likely produce favorable responds from management.

Or do you have the Ok to mount antennas on the roof or a outside wall of the building??

The Federal Antenna Law states that you have the right to install antennas on a patio or balcony that is under your direct control and is part of your apartment used by you and not the general public. In other words , patio/balcony is yours.

Here is the Federal Antenna Law. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.

So that you are thinking clearly.

Know that the Federal Antenna Law is on -> Your Side <- and does give you rights.

The following is a example.

You see those small satellite dishes on the outside of apartment buildings at locations around the city and every where you drive.

The point here is that Yes management can say yes , can install those small satellite dishes on the outside of the building that is in a location other then the direct control of the renters apartment.

This example is to point out that management can say yes to situations that are beyond what is under your direct control.

The Federal Antenna Law states that patio/balcony that is under your direct control that is part of apartment unit you are renting is in fact under your direct control and you can put antenna out there.

If you look around every were you go you will see small satellite dishes and Tv Antennas on patios and balconies.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Oct-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 7-Oct-2012, 2:45 AM   #18
tvsimpsons

Thanks Groundmast an Teleview.

Yes, I want to put the antenna on the balcony. Management allows it as most of my neighbors here has direct tv dish on their balcony. But they do not allow it to be on the roof or outside wall

I'm just wondering how can it be grounded without noticing by the management.
Old 7-Oct-2012, 4:18 AM   #19
teleview

Management 'allows' antennas on patios and balconies because the the Federal Antenna Law says you can put antennas on patios and balconies that are part of your unit and are under your direct control.

As to the grounding issue , think about this , are any of the other antennas on other patios and balconies grounded as has been recommended here , but not by me.

And as to the grounding issue , I given my answer.
Old 7-Oct-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
tvsimpsons

Thank you very much Teleview.