TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Oct-2012, 2:59 AM   #1
QQPTom

receives one station only

Hi yall,
I'm new to OTA tv and can only get one station (41) there are at least 3 I'm thinking I should be able to get (41,32,49). have tried three antennas,about 30 ft on top of two story house,w 100 ft of rg6 cable, 1st, Simple dipole (picked up chan 41 only), next home made bowtie (picked up chan 41 but much better signal), 3rd purchased RCA 751 (still only chan 41). Anyone have ideas on what I might be missing? here's my signal report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df913ecd73041
QQPTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2012, 5:52 AM   #2
teleview

To prove reception , do the following.

Above the roof install the ANT751 antenna in such a manner that roof or any part of the building Is Not blocking reception in the directions of , north west , north , north east.

Aim the ANT751 antenna at about 1 degree magnetic compass direction , north.

The 1 degree magnetic compass aim direction (north) is a in between aim direction for reception of the Tv stations to the , north west , north , north east.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Connect a NEW matching transformer (balun) to the ANT751 antenna.

Connect a NEW looong RG-6 coax to the New matching transformer.

Run the NEW looong RG-6 coax through a open door or window Direct to a Tv that has a known to be good Digital Broadcast Tv Tuner.

No couplers , no splitters , no antenna amplifiers , no ground block , no nothing.

Do a double rescan , with No antenna connected to the Tv , do a Digital Broadcast Tv Channels Scan , this will clear out the Digital Broadcast Tv Tuner for a clean new scan.

Connect the NEW looong coax to the Tv and scan for Digital Broadcast Tv Channels.

What is reception like now??

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best to install the ANT751 antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception and that includes your own house.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

-------->DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.<--------

Last edited by teleview; 20-Oct-2012 at 3:02 AM.
Old 19-Oct-2012, 5:55 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

The first two antennas are 'unknown quantities' but the ANT-751 should produce good results if pointed toward 30° compass. The shortest elements are at the front of the ANT-751.

Try a double re-scan. http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html
Consider the possibility that you may have a bad connector on the coax.
Consider the possibility that the matching transformer could be bad, especially if it's the same one used with all three antennas.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote