TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Mar-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
cao88c

Newb -- Help needed

Hey all,

I'm finally cutting the cord! I have been reading up on different antenna types and I am very confused. Here is the report that was generated for my area.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94ad3e117728

I was looking at the Winegard Flatwave Air Outdoor Antenna, but honestly, I don't have any idea as to what would work.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
cao88c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2014, 9:00 PM   #2
teleview

+=>
-----
Install a.

ANT751 or ANT751R , both are the same antennas.

Or a Antenna Craft HBU11K antenna.

---------

Above the Roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , South West , South , South East , North.

Aim the antenna at about , 335 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , Do not trust a cell phone compass.

----------

A antenna system amplifier is Not required.

----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a 3 way splitter.

---------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.amazon.com.

http://www.antennacraft.net

---------

As Always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect one Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

----------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to your receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tuners will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels.

Channel scan for ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

Last edited by teleview; 18-Mar-2014 at 6:48 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 18-Mar-2014, 7:11 AM   #3
StephanieS

Hello Cao88c,

Teleview gives you a nice easy choice.

A question I'd have for you is how important is University of Florida's TV station WRUF? I ask this because WRUF broadcasts on real channel 5, which is a low-VHF channel.

You have three bands that broadcast television resides on, low-vhf (real channels 2-6), high-VHF (real channels 7-13) and UHF (real channels 14 and up).

If WRUF is something you'd like to have reliably, an all-band antenna might be a better choice than an ANT751 or HBU11. An all band antenna I would opt for in this case would be an Antennacraft C290, http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...nna-%28c290%29 orientated to magnetic heading 164.

Do you intend to run more than one TV?

SS

Last edited by StephanieS; 18-Mar-2014 at 7:16 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Mar-2014, 8:59 AM   #4
teleview

+=>
-----
WRUF-LD , Real VHF low band channel 5 , virtual number (10.1) is Strong Signal Strength at 39.8NM(dB).

Is LOS=Line Of Sight reception.

And the transmitter is Only 8 miles distant.

WRUF will be received buy the , ANT751 or HBU11K antennas.

I have looked up what networks are on all the receivable Tv stations and if required I can list them all.

The information can be found by typing Variations the Tv stations call signs in the google or yahoo search boxes.

Here is a example.

wcjp-dt , wcjp , wcjp tv , wcjp-tv

The 2 web sites that will be found that have the Most Practical and Useful information are , wikipedia.org and rabbitears.info .

Here is a example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCJB-DT2

WCJP-DT , has ABC and CW and CW+.

The CW is no longer on WFXU.

---------------------------------------

The Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels that are listed in the Tvfool Current Plus Applications Included Channel List and Radar Report are Strong Signal Strength with the exception of WFXU that is Weak signal strength.

WFXU now has another Network.

That is why I recommend aim the ANT751 or HBU11k antennas at WFXU at about 335 degree magnetic compass direction.

The Tv stations to the , South West , South , South East , in the Green and Yellow reception zones are Strong Signal Strength and will be received by the ANT751 or HBU11K antennas , through the back angles and back of the ANT751 and HBU11k antennas.

------

Directional antennas such as and not limited to the ANT751 and HBU11K antennas.

Receive the best at the forward/front direction.

A little less at front angles to the antenna.

A little less at back angles to the antenna.

A little less at the back of the antenna.

And least amount of Tv signal directly on the sides of the antenna.

Places a little picture of the ANT751 or HBU11K antennas on the Tvfool radar plot aimed at WFXU and see that the Tv stations to the , South West , South , South East , are at back angles and back of the ANT751 or HBU11K antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 18-Mar-2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 18-Mar-2014, 1:57 PM   #5
cao88c

Thanks both of you for responding. WUFT is not a "make or break" issue for me.

I appreciate your feedback and will weigh my options. One other question, I don't want to drill holes in my roof. Can I get any pole and attach the antenna to it as long as it's over the roof?
cao88c is offline   Reply With Quote