TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Jan-2012, 7:02 PM   #1
dent

New to OTA

Any suggestions are appreciated as I try to figure this out.

Here is my TV Fool report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...67d9a748376ed0

This is a house, the antenna can be outdoor mounted, I have a large pole on the north of the house that I could mount on at about 30 ft. unfortunately on the south side of my house is a large tree(maple) about 40ish ft from where the antenna would be that would be blocking all my southwest signals. to the southeast would be clear for at least 100-200 ft.

I would like to get as many channels as I can, as I need to convince my wife that this is a good idea. currently on cable using a pvr.

My intial thoughts were to use an channel master 4228hd with a homerunhd as i only have 1 tv and everything else is ipods and pc's. and the 1 tv is connected to a htpc that i would run to establish my pvr abilities.

hope thats enough info to get some suggestions? do u see any problems with this or improvements. anything special I might have to do?
dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Just to be sure you are aware, the HDHR3-US has no analog capability. However, I own both the new HDHR3-US and the earlier HDHR-dual: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820 and I'm glad I do. A HTPC can support several HDHR tuners as well as other brands with analog capability. So if you are planning to watch both analog and digital signals, you may need to consider products from Hauppauge and their competitors.

The tree sounds like it could pose a problem but I think you would be able to get the majority of the signals to the SW using a Winegard HD7698P or the combination of an Antennas Direct 91XG and Antennacraft Y10713. With either option, an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp would be a good choice.

Looking SE, I'd use a separate antenna or combination. At a minimum a 4-bay such as the CM-4221, U4000, HD4400, DB-4 or DB4e. If CFPL is still on the air on CH-10 and you want to see it, another Y10713 dedicated to that signal would be in order. I'd try the SE facing antenna(s) with no preamp... another CPA-19 could be added if it proved necessary.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Jan-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2012, 1:33 AM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

This recommendation is based on the Pending Applications tvfool radar report for the American Digital Stations/Channels. These are the digital channels that will be received and also all of the digital sub channels. I have not listed the sub channels , but you will receive them. WDIV-DT 45 NBC , WMYD 21 My Network , WWJ-TV 44 CBS , WJBK 7 FOX , WTVS 43 PBS , WADL-DT 39 Independent , WXYZ-DT41 ABC , WKBD-DT The CW , and possibly W48AV 25 ION. . Install a Winegard HD7698P antenna and a Winegard AP8700 preamp aimed at 225 degree magnetic compass. Buy the HD7698P antenna and the AP8700 preamp at , http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper. .

Last edited by Electron; 19-Jan-2012 at 4:58 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2012, 5:29 AM   #4
Electron

The American and Canada Tv stations transmit both Analog and Digital tv transmissions. Your location has no receivable Analog tv transmissions from America. Your location does have receivable Analog and Digital tv transmissions in Canada. Also like the USA , Canada is transmitting tv in all 3 tv bands of channels , VHF low channels 2 thru 6 , VHF high channels 7 thru 13 and UHF 14 thru 69. The tvfool list of Canada stations/channels is not up to date and might not list all or correct of the Canada tv stations/channels on the air. To receive all of the Canada channels that can be received both Analog and Digital , and of all 3 tv bands , Install a Channel Master , MASTERPIECE 5016 antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp aimed at about 120 degree magnetic compass. . The 2 antenna systems One for America and One for Canada. Will Not be connected together on to one coax at the same time. The two antenna systems will be separate to the location of tv and or tuning devices. A remote control A/B antenna switch can be used to select one antenna or the other. http://www.saveandreplay.com.

Last edited by Electron; 19-Jan-2012 at 5:36 AM.
Old 19-Jan-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Dave Loudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Your location does have receivable Analog and Digital tv transmissions in Canada. Also like the USA , Canada is transmitting tv in all 3 tv bands of channels.
Are you sure about that? Analog is gone in major markets in Canada despite what shows in TVFool predictions. I suggest the OP check with the OTA Forum at digitalhome.ca before saying for sure ne way or another.

With regards to LO-VHF, the strongest station in that band for the OP is at -10 dB NM. There is no practical way to get reliable reception of such weak stations, so I recommend the OP focus on hi-VHF and UHF. I would follow @GroundUrMast's recommendations.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2012, 1:30 PM   #6
Electron

Tvfool is not up to date for Canada tv stations. It is a known fact that Canada and the USA are transmitting Analog and Digital . And it is a known fact that Canada and the USA are transmitting in all three tv bands. So for the reception of Canada tv stations , to cover All the possible channels , analog and digital , all three tv bands , Install a tv antenna that receives All the channels. Wether they are transmitting or not. The MasterPeice 5016 is a All channel antenna. Here is the link to Digital Home , http://www.Digitalhome.ca

Last edited by Electron; 20-Jan-2012 at 3:20 AM.
Old 19-Jan-2012, 1:36 PM   #7
Electron

Tv antennas receive the transmitted signal both analog and digital. This issue has been covered time after time here at tvfool.
Old 19-Jan-2012, 5:01 PM   #8
Dave Loudin

TVFool's information with regards to Canadian allocations contains all possibilities, so if there are no receivable lo-VHF stations shown, then there won't ever be any. Where this site's database is off is the status of Canadian allocations, meaning what analog is still on and what post-transition digital has been activated. Over time, as the government databases get updated, then TVFool's will be, too.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Jan-2012 at 2:02 AM. Reason: Deleted off topic comment
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2012, 1:06 AM   #9
Electron

ground ur mast covered the tuner issue of analog and digital tuners. I recommended the antennas to use to receive all that can be received and the reasons why. The tvfool information for Canada is not current as of 01-19-2012. So the best antenna to install is a antenna that receives ALL the channels. One can also go to the digital home web site to find out what channels are being transmitted where or one can install a ALL channel antenna and be ready for any thing.

Last edited by Electron; 20-Jan-2012 at 3:27 AM. Reason: Deleted off topic comment